Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2021, 09:27 AM

Default Ceramic Coatings for Vehicles

Been a while since I have bought/shopped for any new vehicles. The dealer is offering me a ceramic coating on the truck I am looking at to protect the paint. Is this worth the $ or is it just another way for them to make a buck? What other options does a guy have? Is there any options to protect chrome? The one I am getting pricing on has more chrome then I like as the options are limited. See a lot of of older chrome with a whitish coating, and would like to avoid that as long as possible.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:09 AM

Protective film on the front and mirrors is all I'd do. I haven't used ceramic but I know there are many different types, some are a spray on/wipe off type. Others are the full strength real deal BUT you need to know what you are doing to apply that stuff of it will come out looking horrible.

I use mothers spray on "ceramic" but its a consumer grade simple to use product. Pretty much fool proof and it seems to last a while so far. It's not the real deal though.
I'd find out the exact product they are offering and search it on YT. Lots of ceramic tests on there, some spanning years comparing with and without.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:13 AM
Banned

https://www.autoobsessed.com/ Have a look through this website in Edmonton. It will give you some good information.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:37 AM

I am a bit into the detailing myself and after doing some research on ceramic coating I have decided against it. Here is why in a nut shell: ceramic coating is a long lasting protection that can last 1-3 years depending on the weather and driving conditions. But.... It does not stay forever! And you can not simply re-apply it over the existing layer like a wax or polymer coating, you need to strip it off completely and then apply to the clean surface.... And stripping it off is a nightmare!
Old 04-23-2021, 11:50 AM

Got it on my new truck! Have to wait one month before washing it! And I just got back from washing it at the car wash! Wow is it nice, water beaded off the glass, chrome and paint like it was just waxed! So for so good!
Old 04-23-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I am a bit into the detailing myself and after doing some research on ceramic coating I have decided against it. Here is why in a nut shell: ceramic coating is a long lasting protection that can last 1-3 years depending on the weather and driving conditions. But.... It does not stay forever! And you can not simply re-apply it over the existing layer like a wax or polymer coating, you need to strip it off completely and then apply to the clean surface.... And stripping it off is a nightmare!
I had a fellow at a body shop advise against it too. He told me that if you have the coating, and get into a minor accident, they have a nightmare time 'chipping' that ceramic off to do repairs and match paint. It takes way more time, and drives cost up, and insurance companies are pushing back on the cost if customer applies after market coatings.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-23-2021, 01:24 PM

I was a bodyman when Base/Clear first came out. That's a long time ago now. The paint coming out on vehicles today is very good, pretty comparable to the paint systems the shops use.

I still say stay away from the dealers wanting to "paint protect" your finish. Buy a good wax, spend an afternoon of elbow greaase twice a year on your car(spring/fall). The paint and chrome will bead up just as nice and keep that shine with a nice film of protection.

Not sure what a ceramic coating costs and how much it really helps so I just watched a vid on youtube. Looks like another wipe on, wipe off coating. Now how much protection will it really leave on the paint vs a regular good quality wax?

Not sure.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:27 PM

Last edited by buckbrush; 04-24-2021 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Thought I was in a different thread.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Full disclosure, I'm a weekend warrior/garage detailer and also lazy...
Went on a YouTube binge a few weeks ago and got the Turtle Ceramic Wax spray from Canadian tire.
So far so good, very easy to work with and a little certainly goes a long way.
Could easily do another 4 trucks with the bottle.
Did 2 coats and am now looking forward to a good rainstorm!
Just another option to try 👍
Old 04-25-2021, 10:39 AM

Real chrome does not need Any coating. It will last for 40 years, the fake chrome used today on $80,000 trucks to save money is another story.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:12 AM

So this thread made me go hmmm. So I asked my friend who manages the same bodyshop we were both bodymen at all those years ago.

He said this ceramic coating is pretty cool stuff. Dirt and grime just washes of with the pressure washer. As far as repainting panels that have it on, they have not seen any issues or needed to do any extra degreasing and such to prep the panel for paint.

He did say one of his employees bought the CT stuff and it worked just as good as the stuff you pay a detail place to use.

I stand corrected on the ceramic coating but still think a good wax does almost the same if you keep it up. Both products are still wipe on/wipe off.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:29 AM

I worked in a detailing shop in the early 90`s. We would apply the protection package, as it was called then, for the dealers around Edmonton for under $200. the dealer was selling the package for $1000-$1500. If it was on an import they charged more. If you could wax your car 1-2 times per year you would have got the same paint protection. The scotch guard was sprayed on just like any can you would buy at Can tire. The undercoating was sold as a sound deadener not as protection for rust. It was rubberized and did stop some sound but no percentage was ever mentioned. And the rust proofing you could never claim because it had to rust from the inside out. You would have to let it rust right through the metal before you would bring it to anyones attention otherwise they said it wasn't under warrenty. Everyone thought it was in theirs and the dealers best interest to bring it to their attention before it got to bad. Since that time I have not been a big fan for the packages they offer. The same thing can be done at a local shop and save some money. Maybe the packages are better now but so is the quality of the cars
Old 04-25-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Rust usually comes from underneath, I don't see the point.

Grizz
Old 04-25-2021, 11:57 AM

I am having the PPF film applied to the hood, fenders and headlights, but I am sticking with Zaino for paint protection. Zaino goes on easy, and lasts much longer than waxes.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:04 PM

I've been on the fence for a while on ceramic paint coatings. But recently, I did buy Cerakote ceramic headlight lens restorer kits. I'm going to give that a go as I'm really tired of having to polish my headlights every year.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:51 PM

I’ve recently stumbled into this topic as well as I just finished a bit of body work on a 2008 chev Silverado and was looking into what to finish off the truck with.

In the end I cheated out and just bought some Simoniz ceramic coated wax, put it on last night so I have no real world experience with it yet. It was easy to use like any other wax, put some on the polishing pad and lightly work it over the surface, let dry and then buff off.

I have my sights set on maybe getting some of the Chemical Guys stuff from crappy tire to try on my truck. Kind of do a comparison between the 2 different waxes.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:19 PM

A buddy who has a pretty significant car collection who swears by the ceramic protection. He’s serious well beyond most car hobbyists, doing numerous frame-off restorations and keeping a warehouse due to the size of his collection. If he endorses something car related, I take it as gospel.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:05 PM

Ceramic coating does work very well but I hate buying invisible products from the dealership. I would go to a high end detailing shop for this service. When I worked At dealerships many detailing departments would apply protection on most areas but skip some sections like the entire roof. This is the problem with but invisible products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife