Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 01:22 AM

Default New report condemns Harper government's "assault" on Canada's freshwater

"A new report by the Council of Canadians harshly condemns the federal government's "assault" on laws and institutions protecting Canada's freshwater.

”The Navigable Waters Protection Act no longer protects water. The Fisheries Act no longer protects fish. The Environmental Assessment Act no longer requires environmental assessments be done before important decisions are made," a Lake Ontario waterkeeper laments in the report compiled by Council of Canadians director and former UN Advisor Maude Barlow...."

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/new-report-condemns-harper-governments-assault-canadas-freshwater

(Really, I don't know what the fuss is about - I just turned on my tap, and the water's flowing just fine. Sounds like a bunch of NDP fearmongering).
Old 07-26-2015, 01:39 AM

Council of Canadians lol check out the directors...it reads like the spawn of the NDP
Old 07-26-2015, 02:01 AM

I read: "gutted, gutted, watered down" and "mean ole Harper won't let 4000 long winded little kids sent by their lib teachers hold a pipeline hostage for an extra 6 years".

I also learned fun facts like Canada is in danger because we sell "virtual water". And apparently it's legal now to dump raw sewage and dangerous wastes right into our lakes and rivers. Wow!

I looked around a little bit and found a neat-o article on whether Harper is the worst PM in history.

These affiliates also claim that government watches certain environmental groups. Of course this has nothing to do with strong ties to Sierra club and other quasi terrorist organisations.

Try as I might, I found the articles to be "Fact-lite" (TM) and good at making regular industry really scary sounding, without a clear sense of how and why the enviro cuts are "gutting" our protectionist measures.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
"A new report by the Council of Canadians harshly condemns the federal government's "assault" on laws and institutions protecting Canada's freshwater.

”The Navigable Waters Protection Act no longer protects water. The Fisheries Act no longer protects fish...
The Navigeable Waters Act has never protected water. It protects the ability to navigate waterways, nothing to do with the water itself.

The Fisheries Act has never protected fish. It protects "Fisheries" not the fish.

Another report that misleads readers.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 AM

"Council of Canadians".............LOL. Misleading name, misleading information, lefties misleading and bashing PM Harper, Wow surprising. Misleading = lies.........
Old 07-26-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
"Council of Canadians".............LOL. Misleading name, misleading information, lefties misleading and bashing PM Harper, Wow surprising. Misleading = lies.........

Yup, not sure all these quoted groups are? Another is the Anything But Conservatives (ABC). They seem to want to have the public believe they are something real, but too me at least, they're just trying to mislead the public.

Not saying Harper is the best choice, but I believe he's the only REALISTIC choice we have right now.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl649 View Post
The Navigeable Waters Act has never protected water. It protects the ability to navigate waterways, nothing to do with the water itself.

The Fisheries Act has never protected fish. It protects "Fisheries" not the fish.

Another report that misleads readers.
Easy to be in favor, till you've got to build a bridge across the little stream in your neighborhood, then the Bureaucracy will tie you in knots.

Grizz
Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Not saying Harper is the best choice, but I believe he's the only REALISTIC choice we have right now.
Contrary to this statement ^ that you hear often from some people here, Harper is a pretty darn good Canadian Prime Minister IMO. When compared to the others there is of course, no comparison at all. Truth is, the other two parties and their respective leaders don't even come close and shouldn't be taken seriously enough to run lemonade stand....... sheesh, they are the best Canada can come up with and the scary part is that there are actually some Canadians that will be casting their ballot for these parties and the two clowns that lead them.

They seem to appeal to the lowest common denominator and one can only ascertain that those that choose to vote for them must be susceptible to being mislead.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Maude Barlow......Says a whole "pile" right there!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:36 PM

I think Harper is the best choice Canadians have. You always hear "What good has he done?" From haters but none can ever tell me why the other leaders would be better without using emotional arguments and what they think they'll do. Sadly I believe we will have a very different government elected by the uninformed because it was popular to vote one way or the other.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
Maude Barlow......Says a whole "pile" right there!
I have absolutely no idea what you are saying.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Banned

Actually, yes the Fisheries Act and the navigatable waters act were used for conservation.

I don't have much use for the authors of the report, however the facts that they state are not wrong.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 AM
Banned

I'm voting Harper come election time
Old 07-27-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
I have absolutely no idea what you are saying.

Don't feel bad, I don't understand a lot of stuff I say either .......