Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Default RPAL/Personal History Question

Just finished the RPAL course today passed with no problems and now in the process of filling the Application.
My question to Fellow Soldiers who are diagnosed with PTSD and possibly others, LEO and etc is under personal history it asks if you are being treated for emotional problems.

I have been under medical care for the past 2.5 years at my local OSI clinic with good results. I'm not going to lie about not being treated but I'm somewhat nervous/hesitant about checking yes to the question.

Has anyone been in the same position as I'm in and have they been denied?

Any and all information in regards to this topic would be very much appreciated.

Thanks shooters.
free to worship in my own way,
free to stand for what I think right,
free to oppose what I believe wrong,
or free to choose those
who shall govern my country.
This heritage of freedom
I pledge to uphold
for myself and all mankind.”

— John Diefenbaker
Old 07-25-2015, 08:44 PM

I have a restricted permit and am on anti-depressants.
They will definitely ask you some follow up questions. As they should.
Be honest.
The system seems to work well.
They will probably ask for a letter from your doc. No big deal.
It did take me about four weeks longer to process though. That was the only difference that I saw.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:06 PM

I have a diagnosed, PTSD related sleep disorder. It held up my RPAL. The firearms office did contact all of my references and were prodding and leading my contacts into providing a response that made me seem like I could cause harm to others. Had a bit of an administrative fight with both Mirimichi and the Alberta office. I finally dropped a name of someone inside the Alberta office that knew my military service, and might be able to help me out. It eventually sorted itself out and my RPAL finally arrived, but the issue came up again while trying to get the transport permits for a couple of my Restricted firearms. That became another administrative battle.

A direct statement made by a clerk in the Alberta office during my struggle to get the RPAL and transport permits is that soldiers are more likely to snap and start killing everyone around them. I had a conversation with a supervisor who suggested he would rescind my permits and licence for referring to his employee as an idiot with limited training and experience. The conversation stopped when I asked him to put that in a formal letter addressed to both myself and the CFO for Alberta.

Last edited by raised by wolves; 07-25-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Banned

Think twice before checking that box.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:02 PM

I suspect you will lose all your guns of they find out you did not check the box. Plus lawyers fees etc. not worth it. I suggest attach a letter from your Dr with your application that says you are mentally ok to possess a handgun. It will speed things up

OFFENCES
Marginal note:False statements to procure licences, etc.

106. (1) Every person commits an offence who, for the purpose of procuring a licence, registration certificate or authorization for that person or any other person, knowingly makes a statement orally or in writing that is false or misleading or knowingly fails to disclose any information that is relevant to the application for the licence, registration certificate or authorization.
Marginal note:False statements to procure customs confirmations

(2) Every person commits an offence who, for the purpose of procuring the confirmation by a customs officer of a document under this Act for that person or any other person, knowingly makes a statement orally or in writing that is false or misleading or knowingly fails to disclose any information that is relevant to the document.
Marginal noteefinition of “statement”

(3) In this section, “statement” means an assertion of fact, opinion, belief or knowledge, whether material or not and whether admissible or not.

109. Every person who commits an offence under section 106, 107 or 108, who contravenes subsection 29(1) or who contravenes a regulation made under paragraph 117(d), (e), (f), (g), (i), (j), (l), (m) or (n) the contravention of which has been made an offence under paragraph 117(o)
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Marginal note:Contravention of conditions of licences, etc.

Last edited by Immigrant; 07-25-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
Think twice before checking that box.
I will clear up my statement here.

Get all of your documentation all in a row making sure you have statements from any treating physician all together.

Once you do check that box it begins and they will treat you as a second class citizen.

Don't lie but don't go into too much detail. Keep it simple.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:22 AM

I'm not encouraging or suggesting that anyone lie on their application but I highly doubt that they will be tracking down your doctor and asking any questions about your health or health history.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 AM

I am actually surprised that they go into a person's medical history, given that people previously convicted of making death threats have been granted a PAL.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:34 AM

If you have ever bought prescription drugs at a pharmacy, it goes in to a database. The info contains what you got prescribed and by whom. The then send a letter to your prescribing Dr asking what their opinion is. Now if your Dr and his / her assistant is not swamped with paperwork then they could reply in a timely manner. Or it gets thrown on the pile with all the other workman's comp, insurance claims etc. that is where the waiting starts. Attach a letter from your Dr now and avoid the wait. Restricted PAL is a lot more thorough in their background checks
Old 07-26-2015, 12:34 PM

I would suggest you be absolutely truthful. Because if ever it is discovered you were not, you're risking the potential of never obtaining a permit ever again....with possible jail time. I don't think its really worth the risk.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am actually surprised that they go into a person's medical history, given that people previously convicted of making death threats have been granted a PAL.
That used to surprise me too. Seen a lot of the like though.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:58 PM

Thanks Gents for all the info that has been provided. It's all very much appreciated...
free to worship in my own way,
free to stand for what I think right,
free to oppose what I believe wrong,
or free to choose those
who shall govern my country.
This heritage of freedom
I pledge to uphold
for myself and all mankind.”

— John Diefenbaker
Old 07-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
I would suggest you be absolutely truthful. Because if ever it is discovered you were not, you're risking the potential of never obtaining a permit ever again....with possible jail time. I don't think its really worth the risk.
+1