Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
There are many other places in the world where speed limits are over 110 and they get along fine. The speed limit has been capped at 100-110 for a long time now but vehicles have taken large steps in making them safer and easier to operate at higher speeds. We as a country have some very wide open safe low traffic roads that could easily have higher speed limits with negligible effects on safety. The one issue might be that 110 is plenty at times in the winter but there are countries that have weather dependent speed limits and no reason Canada couldn't incorporate something similar to keep winter driving safe.
What do you think will change? It is 110 here and many do 140 now! Change it to 125 they will do 150 or 160.

The problem is the idiots behind the wheel do not gaff about authority, set it to 150 they will go 165. How many in these threads openly admit to going 15+ over the limit already?

I drove in the South end of Northern states 2 years ago in my Corvette, one of the top vehicles for going very fast. We travelled one stretch where the speed limit was 80 then 85 mph and I have a picture of 90 mph limit sign. People in mini vans were passing me at well over 100mph. A guy in a obviously chipped Duramax pulling a 35' fifth wheel passed me like i was sitting still, and I was going 85 mph. I have good video of that moron. A guy leaving Las Vegas pulling a horse trailer wanted to fight because I would not pull off the road for him to pass.
You can cover one hell of a lot of ground at 90 mph over 6 hours, but that's not enough for some stupid people. The wrecks were nothing short of horrific carnage, I don't think they dispatched ambulances, they called out pressure washers and squeegees in a few states.

My philosophy which apparently is wrong according to many here and on the road, is if you have to get somewhere fast- fly. If you have to drive, leave earlier.

One of very few wishes I have is that at least Albertans will eventually pull their heads out of their are-souls and realize the world does not end if they do not get where they are going without speeding. I hate entitled bastards that do not care about anyone else.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Photo radar or radar gun on every 5th power pole on every main highway works for me. Stop these speeding morons any way you can.
It's just a cash grab Ken.... not a deterent.

I'd rather hire more cops... they do way more than the money take pictures and empty wallets.

Just consider how many other crimes are detected during traffic stops.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Word will get around soon. Make them visible.
They did that in Ontario and most of em ended up with bullet holes in em.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
It's just a cash grab Ken.... not a deterent.

I'd rather hire more cops... they do way more than the money take pictures and empty wallets.

Just consider how many other crimes are detected during traffic stops.
I agree 100%, but before the big Segway it was about hidden cameras and sneaky patrolmen. I just want to see less accidents, my end result hope.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 AM

The boy's in blue in Calgary can be driving anything anywhere anytime, I laugh whenever I see these kids (with the muffler stuck out from under the car that makes them sound like a lawnmower with no muffler??) pulled over by the lifted dodge half ton. Looks good on ya.
Agree with the majority, don't speed and no speeding ticket. Don't even mention playground zones, man I would like to have permission to patrol those myself.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Photo radar or radar gun on every 5th power pole on every main highway works for me. Stop these speeding morons any way you can.
x2
Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
How low do you have to go in order to put photo radar on bridges scanning the road below? What's next?? Photo radar in trees? On light poles? In manholes? Is the revenue dropping because everyone's on to you sitting on the side of the road?

I can deal with radar on the side of the road. And it's not like I speed anyways, cause I don't, so stick it (your radar) wherever you want.
I hate photo radar, and I never get tickets.

Another short rant over.
In Australia (NSW) they have things set up similar to how we have the big green highway signs, except there are no signs, the structure has a camera that takes a photo of your face, and one of the license plate. You get a happy ticket in the mail, along with points on your license.

See them every 25-30 km on the highway from Penrith to Sydney.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 AM

I wonder how many out of province drivers pay alberta photo radar tickets......?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
How low do you have to go in order to put photo radar on bridges scanning the road below? What's next?? Photo radar in trees? On light poles? In manholes? Is the revenue dropping because everyone's on to you sitting on the side of the road?

I can deal with radar on the side of the road. And it's not like I speed anyways, cause I don't, so stick it (your radar) wherever you want.
I hate photo radar, and I never get tickets.

Another short rant over.

I must be missing something here; I don't understand the problem? No speed no ticket...IMO....Hmmmmm
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Do not see the issue with Photo Radar and agree with Ken as I am sure if a person pays out a ton of money in a year for tickets they will eventually slow down. As far as hiding on over passes does anyone remember when they used airplanes on the highway. What's the diff? If anything look at it as paying for the privileged to drive faster than other people.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Totally agree, if they don't like it, then slow down.

Quote:
A letter in the mail a week later does not stop the infraction at the time. By the time a letter arrives, it may be too late. I am all for a cop in a car pulling me over.
But imagine 20 camera's in a row, you'll receive up to 20 tickets. Lol. But the demerit system from a cop pulling you over is the only way to get them to slow down.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM

If you can't see the problem inherent in photo radar the way it done now, then your blind to the future and have no concept of law n order, justice, freedom that it slowly destroys.

It's a cash grab......but one that is drying up ......unless deceptive practices are used. Google it. Counties changing traffic lights so the yellow is only a few seconds.....yah that's! going to make things safer!!! Or keep the juice flowing to these communities that have become addicted to this income
Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy on a Buffalo View Post
They now have a minivan parked on top of that location for cars going over the bridge on 184st up Ray Gibbon. I'm sure they catch tonnes of guys there too, because its a 60km zone. Very easy to do 70 or 80 there.
One of my Dads only tickets was a photo radar in Calgary for doing 8 over...they can set the equipment up for what ever speed they want.

LC
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Red face

The only thing I disagree on is red light cameras and speed on green at the same intersection WITHOUT THE COUNTDOWN TIMERS. You never know when the friggin lights going to turn red as you are approaching the intersection. Turns yellow when you are going 60km/h a few feet from the intersection and you can't just slam on the brakes because you will more than likely get rear ended. Go through and you risk running a red light, speed up and you get caught speeding. It's a friggin joke. If the intersection has a countdown timer, I have no problem with it.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Doesn't anyone do the sped limit any more? If you do the limit you don't have to worry except the jerks who try to force you to go faster..

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 AM

Went to Idaho a couple of Christmasses ago to buy cheese - go figger - a woman thing!!! But I was stunned at the cars with Idaho plates that never seemed to speed at all! They did exactly the speed limit - whatever it was - not even 10 over. Whatever the sign said is what everyone did! The Canadian drivers stuck out like sore thumbs! Gotta figure they had some kind of NO TOLERANCE awareness thing going on for the Christmas season.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Says the guy who used to have a corvette, and a Hyabusa ....... but never sped........ hehehehheheeh

Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 AM

First offm let me say that speed does not kill, it's the sudden stop.

I vote for the don't speed don't get tickets guys, seems preety simple to me.
Ask a speeder why they speed. They are in a hurry because they are late.
Get stopped by the cops, now your really late. Photo radar, leave early no need to speed, cheaper. It's all about timing, unless your the guy that thinks the p[osted speed limit isn't high enough. These guys speed just to make a statement, or so they think. Speed limits are set for safety reasons. I have been driving for over 50 years, total tickets, 2.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Says the guy who used to have a corvette, and a Hyabusa ....... but never sped........ hehehehheheeh

Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 AM

If you ever visit Medicine Hat, check you speed well before entering city limits... In 2012, 4.4 million was collect in fines here, 4 million being photo radar and the additional 400 thousand was collected by an actual human..

So, does photo radar work ? If you can afford to had over the cash, in all reality it just punishes the lower income earners..
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo_Dave View Post
Went to Idaho a couple of Christmasses ago to buy cheese - go figger - a woman thing!!! But I was stunned at the cars with Idaho plates that never seemed to speed at all! They did exactly the speed limit - whatever it was - not even 10 over. Whatever the sign said is what everyone did! The Canadian drivers stuck out like sore thumbs! Gotta figure they had some kind of NO TOLERANCE awareness thing going on for the Christmas season.
You can pick us out when we drive. We stick to the limit 100%.
Australia has a no tolerance approach to speeding - you can get done for doing 2kmh over! Between fixed cameras, mobile cameras and mobile radar, it's not unusual to go through 6 or more radars in a drive.
We were amazed to see how many drivers speed over here - especially the heavy trucks. Heavy trucks are all GPS speed limited to 105kmh back home. The only way they can speed is down hills.
However, don't get me wrong. Many Aussies still speed, they just do it at night, on dodgy country roads or in suburban areas. Or they just pay the fines. http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/safety/dri...it-points.aspx
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM

If you notice the trend of where these revenue collectors are situating themselves, you'll see that they are now almost always in the transition zones. The revenue from the normal spots has dried up.

I don't get the tickets often, as I am always trying to Obey the speed limits, but every now and then they catch me......most in the most slimiest of ways, the edge of a transition zone. The most recent one I the front bumper of my truck is mere feet from, the recently moved further up, higher speed sign 60 vs 50Km. This is on the way out of town.

This is a cut from the provincial photo radar guidelines: " Theuse of automated traffic technology in speed transition zones must be justified and reasonable, based on the site selection criteria. Automated traffic technology should not be used in transition zones, when a driver is approaching a higher/lower speed zone and is within sight of a higher/lower posted speed sign, unless there are exigent and well documented safety concerns that would justify its use."

Well guess what???!!!!! The judge says they are just guidelines, and don't have to followed. what???!!

Well it's just a guideline that I have to support my community and be a contributing member helping to make things better. Will I volunteer my time or money for a community project like spring cleanup ....screw it.....you got my money...it's just a guideline.....let the town pay someone to pick up garbage.

If they don't have to follow guidelines that are for the common good, then neither should any citizen follow any common guidelines for helping the system that has now become parasitic and predatori on those same citizens.

Short sighted think on the behalf of those lazy incompetent politicians that can only see the short term increase in money that will allow them to Pizz it away on useless legacy projects.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM

I agree with photo radar in school, playground, and construction zones.
But I'm kinda divided on the other areas.

Yeah, I got caught speeding a couple of times, but I try to stick to the speed limit.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
If you ever visit Medicine Hat, check you speed well before entering city limits... In 2012, 4.4 million was collect in fines here, 4 million being photo radar and the additional 400 thousand was collected by an actual human..

So, does photo radar work ? If you can afford to had over the cash, in all reality it just punishes the lower income earners..
Don't speed, no ticket, no punishment.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Banned

And how many of our beloved police around this city speed? I really should start storing my dashcam footage and put it on youtube.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:07 AM

I think if people are unable to figure out transition zones they should not be driving. Maybe put them in special little short busses, with nice soft helmets to protect their delicate little heads.

Sign ahead of you says 80 down from 110. Do 80 or less when you hit the sign. Sign ahead of you says 110 when you are in a 80 zone. Do 80 until you get past the 110 sign.

Ffs it is not rocket science, it's just that idiots trying to make things work the way they see fit.

I do agree 100% about the useless legacy programs, huge waste of money.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think if people are unable to figure out transition zones they should not be driving. Maybe put them in special little short busses, with nice soft helmets to protect their delicate little heads.

Sign ahead of you says 80 down from 110. Do 80 or less when you hit the sign. Sign ahead of you says 110 when you are in a 80 zone. Do 80 until you get past the 110 sign.

Ffs it is not rocket science, it's just that idiots trying to make things work the way they see fit.

I do agree 100% about the useless legacy programs, huge waste of money.
What's with the holier than thou attitude today Ken? Someone **** in your corn flakes this morning? Yeah, I speed sometimes, not doing 60 over and not endangering anyone's life in the process.

You never sped in your whole life have you? Always a good little boy?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Don't speed, no ticket, no punishment.
Never have got one myself

Statistics show these are a pure cash cow and do nothing to enforce the speed limits..
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Try to think of speeding as a math problem;
Alcurve Ab. to Lloydminster =15 miles
Traveling the speed limit 100KM.= 15 mins.
Traveling 120 kms. = 11 min
Total time saved 4 mins.
Everyday this stretch of road bumper to bumper with people taking ridiculous risks trying to pass on hills, blind corners even through the worst conditions. At least twice a week there's a serious accident all to save a few minutes. I set my cruise on the speed limit and ignore the idiots trying to intimidate me into speeding. I drive at least 50,000 kms a year and have not had ticket for over 35 years.
Is four minutes worth someone's life?
Just relax and you won't have to feed the cash cow!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:26 AM

no thx i do fine you my friend are annoying