Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Default Parker Hale/ Santa Barbera safety problem?

Hello, I just picked up a Parker Hale with a Santa Barbera action. The safety was stiff to the point of being un-usable so I took the gun apart, cleaned and lubed the safety. Now the safety has loosened up pretty good so long as the bolt is not installed, with the bolt installed I can switch it "OFF" ok (still a bit stiff) but switching it "ON" is still way too difficult. Any experts have some advise for me?

As well when I had the gun apart I noticed a crack in the wood between the opening for the magazine and the opening for the trigger. How big of an issue is this and what is the best way to fix it?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Hello, I just picked up a Parker Hale with a Santa Barbera action. The safety was stiff to the point of being un-usable so I took the gun apart, cleaned and lubed the safety. Now the safety has loosened up pretty good so long as the bolt is not installed, with the bolt installed I can switch it "OFF" ok (still a bit stiff) but switching it "ON" is still way too difficult. Any experts have some advise for me?

As well when I had the gun apart I noticed a crack in the wood between the opening for the magazine and the opening for the trigger. How big of an issue is this and what is the best way to fix it?

Thanks.
PM sent!
Cat
Old 11-22-2014, 09:12 AM

The Santa Barbara action should have the safety on the trigger as opposed to being on the cocking piece so at least theoretically, the bolt being in the action should have nothing to do with the operation of the safety.
Having said that, if it is interfering with the safety then it sounds as if the trigger adjustments need some tweaking. If your not comfortable with playing with it until you get it working and safe with emphasis on the safe, then you may want to consider having a gunsmith looking at it.
By the way, these types of safeties have to be really clean to operate properly.

As for the crack, it probably won't have much effect on anything if you leave it be, but I'd see if it can be pried apart enough to get some epoxy or Acraglass in there to bind it together. If it can't be pried apart without creating problems elsewhere, you can always remove some wood around the crack and fill it with epoxy or Acraglass and this will be almost as strong. You could also put a cross pin in there afterwards to reinforce it.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
The Santa Barbara action should have the safety on the trigger as opposed to being on the cocking piece so at least theoretically, the bolt being in the action should have nothing to do with the operation of the safety.
Having said that, if it is interfering with the safety then it sounds as if the trigger adjustments need some tweaking. If your not comfortable with playing with it until you get it working and safe with emphasis on the safe, then you may want to consider having a gunsmith looking at it.
By the way, these types of safeties have to be really clean to operate properly.

As for the crack, it probably won't have much effect on anything if you leave it be, but I'd see if it can be pried apart enough to get some epoxy or Acraglass in there to bind it together. If it can't be pried apart without creating problems elsewhere, you can always remove some wood around the crack and fill it with epoxy or Acraglass and this will be almost as strong. You could also put a cross pin in there afterwards to reinforce it.
Yes the safety is on the trigger, but it has a tab on it that fits through a slot in the action and somehow locks the bolt closed. I'm cant see exactly how it engages with the bolt, everything was full of crusty old grease and I think I'll give the bolt a good bath in solvent again incase theres still some crud in there that is somehow affecting the safety. I'll try playing with the trigger as well. I'm assuming that I should be most worried about the backlash adjustment? While I've got it apart I think I'll put some steel wool to some of the sliding surfaces of the safety and see if that helps. I'll try getting some epoxy into that crack, if not I think I will dremel a channel across it and epoxy a chunk of brad nail in there.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:38 AM

I'm having to go from memory here because a lot of my books are still packed away and it's been a while since I had one of these actions but I remember some of them have a tab that goes into a slot to lock the bolt now that you mention it. From what your describing, it sounds likely that the tab has been bent and won't engage the bolt freely.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:27 AM

I'll bet $2 to a bone a previous owner lost the action washer. Parker hale made their rifle with a small washer that separates the bottom metal and receiver and all the pressure rest on this little washer. It's extremely easy to lose it when taking it apart. Without it, you can't feel the torque building on the stock, thus people tighten and tighten until a) stock cracks b) they feel uncomfortable tightening anymore, then shoot it, causing deformation in the wood resulting in loosening screws or cracked stock and poor overall accuracy. Again tightening over and over again until the stock splits. Get a machinist to turn another.

As for the safety, could be a number of things. I'd need to see it to a) diagnose b) fix. Take the bolt apart and inspect. Look for bent, filed or worn parts. Then take apart rifle inspect for same. Finally and reluctantly the trigger (highly recommend a gunsmith).

I bought a PH 1200c that was missing the action washer and the original owner had plugged the tip of the barrel with mud or snow (and fired it!). The rifle shot 5" at 100m IF the stars aligned and the gods pour their firearm blessings on me. Finally I got "upset" and mic'd my barrel and low and behold barrel was belled out the last inch of the barrel. A quick trip to the lathe and an 1.5' off the barrel (i found I was missing the action washer too when I took mine apart) and a shiny new action washer. My rifle shoots 1' on a bad day and the rifle demons curse me.

Now, if you don't mind. This is my thirdish post in a week and I hate public forum boards. I gonna retire here and go back to develop my annual hunting story. This year it's about the BIGGEST BUCK EVER that I have ever seen (basket buck,... kinda) and how it wasn't my fault I missed, because I walked up a mountain, had to used my rifle to pole vault over a crevass and he was way to cunning. ( small hill, gun wasn't sighted in, and couldn't get out of the truck that fast after falling asleep for a nap)........... wait, maybe I used this story last year?

Last edited by cal9mm; 11-23-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal9mm View Post
I'll bet $2 to a bone a previous owner lost the action washer. Parker hale made their rifle with a small washer that separates the bottom metal and receiver and all the pressure rest on this little washer. It's extremely easy to lose it when taking it apart. Without it, you can't feel the torque building on the stock, thus people tighten and tighten until a) stock cracks b) they feel uncomfortable tightening anymore, then shoot it, causing deformation in the wood resulting in loosening screws or cracked stock and poor overall accuracy. Again tightening over and over again until the stock splits. Get a machinist to turn another.

As for the safety, could be a number of things. I'd need to see it to a) diagnose b) fix. Take the bolt apart and inspect. Look for bent, filed or worn parts. Then take apart rifle inspect for same. Finally and reluctantly the trigger (highly recommend a gunsmith).

I bought a PH 1200c that was missing the action washer and the original owner had plugged the tip of the barrel with mud or snow (and fired it!). The rifle shot 5" at 100m IF the stars aligned and the gods pour their firearm blessings on me. Finally I got "upset" and mic'd my barrel and low and behold barrel was belled out the last inch of the barrel. A quick trip to the lathe and an 1.5' off the barrel (i found I was missing the action washer too when I took mine apart) and a shiny new action washer. My rifle shoots 1' on a bad day and the rifle demons curse me.
If by "action washer" you mean the cylindrical thing that lives on the little allen head screw under the mag release (what a miserable place to put an action screw) I have that. Though it is possible to tighten that bolt to the point where it pulls the front of the trigger guard down too far and it wont catch the magazine which I'm not sure is normal.

I found the groove that the tab engages and it was full of crud so I cleaned that out but no real improvement. The only direction I could bend that tab in would actually cause more interference with the bolt as far as I can see so I think I'm going to pull the trigger off the action and clean up that tab with some steel wool. Its rough with a lot of sharp edges and corners on it.

I tried adjusting the trigger, it didn't help the safety problem but that trigger sure breaks clean now.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If by "action washer" you mean the cylindrical thing that lives on the little allen head screw under the mag release (what a miserable place to put an action screw) I have that. Though it is possible to tighten that bolt to the point where it pulls the front of the trigger guard down too far and it wont catch the magazine which I'm not sure is normal.

I found the groove that the tab engages and it was full of crud so I cleaned that out but no real improvement. The only direction I could bend that tab in would actually cause more interference with the bolt as far as I can see so I think I'm going to pull the trigger off the action and clean up that tab with some steel wool. Its rough with a lot of sharp edges and corners on it.

I tried adjusting the trigger, it didn't help the safety problem but that trigger sure breaks clean now.
I need to see it.

http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14363

Or

http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14368

Last edited by cal9mm; 11-23-2014 at 11:25 AM.