Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 09:05 AM

Default Loading a moose

I use my tri-fold quad ramps. I then use a 2 inch, 30' nylon tow strap, and sling it up the ramps, over the roof of the truck, over the hood and then attach the tow strap to the quad. I place an old blanket under the tow strap where it meets the roof of the truck. This prevents it from scratching the paint on the roof. I then move the quad to the front of the truck, and slowly drag the moose up the ramps into the box. It takes only a couple of minutes, even by yourself. I have even done this with the moose not gutted. I like to use the tractor to hang the moose while, gutting, cleaning, and quartering. I had an old uncle who showed me this trick, and I have done this numerous times. Its kinda red neck, but trust me it works.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:16 AM

wELL ;Most guys seem to have quads/winch attahed.So headache rack,a couple of shacklesto the HR, & snatch block.Qad ramps[3],pull it right in your box/with the quad winch..
Old 10-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I use my tri-fold quad ramps. I then use a 2 inch, 30' nylon tow strap, and sling it up the ramps, over the roof of the truck, over the hood and then attach the tow strap to the quad. I place an old blanket under the tow strap where it meets the roof of the truck. This prevents it from scratching the paint on the roof. I then move the quad to the front of the truck, and slowly drag the moose up the ramps into the box. It takes only a couple of minutes, even by yourself. I have even done this with the moose not gutted. I like to use the tractor to hang the moose while, gutting, cleaning, and quartering. I had an old uncle who showed me this trick, and I have done this numerous times. Its kinda red neck, but trust me it works.
Pretty good setup, easier one though is to tie a snatch block to the headache rack or a tie down point, run the cable or tow strap from the moose, through the snatch block and tie the other end to a quad or other pickup and then just drive quad away to pull the moose up the ramp. You can also use the quad winch if you prefer or a jack all or come-along tied to a tree. A receiver hitch mounted winch also works if you remove the tailgate. No worries about scratching roof or hood and you can see the moose way better.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I watched someone do that exact thing, worked great until the antler started digging into the ground. The pressure on the tow strap caused the roof to buckle a little bit breaking the windshield. The windshields could not be replaced so the truck had to be written off. Hell of a way to destroy a 3 year old truck. Insurance would not cover it.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Try this - one pulley, long line, then drive and up she goes.

https://youtu.be/QbOLF1JPgPw
Old 10-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Another way is to use the tie down rings in the front corners of the truck box instead of anchoring the pulley to a tree. Hook a pulley centered on a chain anchored to the front corner rings. The pulley can be a 3 to 1 or up to an 8 to 1 pulley. Run a rope from the moose through the pulley and then tie the other end of the rope to a tree or anchor behind the truck. A couple ramps and have your moose on a plywood sheet. Drive away slowly and the rope pulls the moose up the ramps and into the box. The ramps can be skinned logs too. Logs can be longer creating a gentler slope.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 10-16-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:51 PM

I use a winch now cause I’m getting lazier (smarter?) the older I get. I built it to slide into the 5th wheel receiver that’s in the bed of the truck. It doesn’t give up more then 6” of box space and once an animals in the truck they’re pretty easy to slide ahead if needed. I install it when I plan on using it and most of the year it lives in the shed.
I've hand loaded many elk by myself or with another helper in one piece but a winch is much easier.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:11 PM

Well, I had already decided on a headache rack since I have had to replace the rear window once already ($850 ). I pretty much had it built but added a foot that bolts right to the box floor to help take some force.
Ill bolt it to the box sides and also have three plates that slip between the box and cab.

I decided to mount the winch at box height then put two 11k hoops on the top to give a better angle with a snatch block or two if needed.

I am planning to build a ramp also as my quad ramps are MIA.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:29 PM

I never did see this but a couple of co workers built something that used a winch,the headache rack and some added support on the box rails. They claimed that it worked really well. Have you checked out you tube? Good luck
Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 PM

The rack is just about finished. Going to paint it and hope to have it on the truck tomorrow and maybe install a winch.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Works great I had a guy show me this 20 years ago loaded a moose by himself and it just amazed me

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Loaded my first deer I ever shot in a similar way. Tied the rope to a tree about 5' high. Ran it over the headache rack and to the mule buck. Simply backed up while my 8 year old bro guided the critter into the box.. I did take the tailgate off.

I also once loaded a wt deer into my truck using a pole / lever. I had injured my back so lifting the deer was not possible. I backed up beside a tree and lashed a 14' long pole to the tree about 6' off the ground vertically with about 4-5 feet of the pole below the tie off point. Before lashing the pole up i tied a strap to the " long" end of the pole, now like 20' off the ground. I tied the four legs of the deer to the short/ low end of the pole and pulled the strap attached to the long end down lifting the deer off the ground using mechanical advantage. Once it was hoisted up I tied off the long end of the pole to a tree right at ground level and backed the truck under the hoisted deer. The longer the pole the lighter the load. No way you could do a moose or Elk this way but perhaps a half would work. I used wrachet straps for all the rope needs.

If you stop and think there's often a way to get er done:-)