Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM

FYI: Twice the number of sheep tickets as last year with the same price. Cut our chances in half but more money for the program. ( info as per Kelly Semple)
Old 01-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox red lab View Post
FYI: Twice the number of sheep tickets as last year with the same price. Cut our chances in half but more money for the program. ( info as per Kelly Semple)
I am not sure it really lowers our chances of being drawn. Actually I know for a fact that it improved my chances this year.
By doubling the number of tickets to 15,000 it decreased the chance of one person from purchasing all the tickets.
Last year for $75,000 you could have bought all the tickets and been guaranteed to win. Now this year it would cost you $150,000 to win. Instead of buying all the tickets for $150,000 to win the permit, why not spend $80,000 on just out right buying the permit from the FNAWS convention. Unfortunately last year the grand majority of tickets were purchased by one individual and there were thousands like myself who were not able to buy any tickets.
The original ideal of raffling off this special permit was to allow everyone in Alberta to be able to have a shot at one of these special opportunities. Not allowing one individual with a little more money than the average Joe to have an advantage over me and you.
It may and probably will create more funds, but now we all get a kick at the cat.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I am not sure it really lowers our chances of being drawn. Actually I know for a fact that it improved my chances this year.
By doubling the number of tickets to 15,000 it decreased the chance of one person from purchasing all the tickets.
Last year for $75,000 you could have bought all the tickets and been guaranteed to win. Now this year it would cost you $150,000 to win. Instead of buying all the tickets for $150,000 to win the permit, why not spend $80,000 on just out right buying the permit from the FNAWS convention. Unfortunately last year the grand majority of tickets were purchased by one individual and there were thousands like myself who were not able to buy any tickets.
The original ideal of raffling off this special permit was to allow everyone in Alberta to be able to have a shot at one of these special opportunities. Not allowing one individual with a little more money than the average Joe to have an advantage over me and you.
It may and probably will create more funds, but now we all get a kick at the cat.
I was referring to odds for ticket holders not the general public. I asked Kelly if it was true that 2 guys bought most of the tickets and she said no. She said they just sold out at all the sportsmen shows etc. and since demand was high they would sell more tickets and raise more money. The number of elk tickets remain the same and the number of mule deer tickets is the same as elk.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox red lab View Post
I asked Kelly if it was true that 2 guys bought most of the tickets and she said no. She said they just sold out at all the sportsmen shows etc. and since demand was high they would sell more tickets and raise more money.
I am calling total BS on Kelly. Not you, your just relaying the message. There were a few tickets at the Calgary show, but when the show came to Edmonton they were already long gone. Many people can testify to that. The fellow who won in 2007 happened to have a very similar story as to this past years winner.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 01-07-2009, 08:15 PM

i gunna buy mine tmw, i know this is off topic but who do i contact for takingout youth hunting in my area, i was on the site but it was unclear i thought about it and think being a mentor would be good seeing that there is not enough youth hunting i got my lil cuz involved but wouldnt mind taking some more out on a waterfrowl hunt, seeing that once u duck hunt u seemed to get hooked
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM

Where and how do you get the tickets??? How much??? Gotta get me some!!!

-madcarpenter
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM

Try reading the first post, might be helpful in answering your questions.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 PM

Default Got mine!

Purchased mine today, and after hours to boot. Thanks Kelly for the help with it seeing as I am snowed in south of Dawson Creek. Pretty much got it in the old hip pocket................
Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Instead of buying all the tickets for $150,000 to win the permit, why not spend $80,000 on just out right buying the permit from the FNAWS convention.
The ministers tag usally goes for alot higher then $80,000 and has gone as high as $500,000 in the past. So even is someone wanted to buy all the tickets at $150,000 that is still a discount.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:51 PM

got mine 2 elk and 2 mulie
Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntercam View Post
The ministers tag usally goes for alot higher then $80,000 and has gone as high as $500,000 in the past. So even is someone wanted to buy all the tickets at $150,000 that is still a discount.
I did a little researching this afternoon and found the selling prices.
Looks like 2005 was the year if you wanted a deal...

1998 $627,000 USD
1999 $405,000 USD
2000 $200,000 USD
2001 $250,000 USD
2002 $260,000 USD
2003 $200,000 USD
2004 $160,000 USD
2005 $150,000 USD then returned and resold for $41,000USD
2006 $85,000 USD
2007 $155,000 USD
2008 $235,000 USD

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks for posting that Rockymtnx.

Where did you find that info?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntercam View Post
Thanks for posting that Rockymtnx.
Where did you find that info?
I found some of prices with the help of the ever wonderful Google search engine.
I also had to contact Hunting for Tomorrow on a few of them.

Something I found interesting was the 2005 permit. Originally it sold for $150,000 at the FNAWS convention. Then that summer when the permit holder found out that the Alberta Government had issued tags to resident hunters to hunt WMU 438 at the same time, he returned it. There was a telephone auction held in August to resell it. This time around the permit only sold for $41,000. You can see that the following year they suffered a lower selling price from the government opening up the 438 late season to a few lucky Alberta hunters.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
I found some of prices with the help of the ever wonderful Google search engine.
I also had to contact Hunting for Tomorrow on a few of them.

Something I found interesting was the 2005 permit. Originally it sold for $150,000 at the FNAWS convention. Then that summer when the permit holder found out that the Alberta Government had issued tags to resident hunters to hunt WMU 438 at the same time, he returned it. There was a telephone auction held in August to resell it. This time around the permit only sold for $41,000. You can see that the following year they suffered a lower selling price from the government opening up the 438 late season to a few lucky Alberta hunters.
And if I remember correctly, AHEIA and Ted Morton actually whent down to push this tag in 2006. They got up on stage and told everyone, that the sky hadnt totaly fallen. Good on those guys for pushing a little extra.

Rocky I understand it that it was the Metis issue that drove down the price of the tag. It has slowly recovered, but not as high as when it started.

Jamie

Jamie
Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 PM

I also believe it was the opening of a residents season that drove the price of the auctioned tag down. It made it less of an exclusive opportunity to the auction bidders.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Question
Bought my tickets for this draw today, but the draw itself is after you have to put in your normal draws. If you get a draw from lets say your bull elk and you also get this tag can you shoot 2 in a season?
Or if you wish can you give back your draw tag and keep your priority ?
Gramps
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM

The auction tag is good until December 15th. Residents can only hunt until the end of November.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Bought my mulie and sheep tags.....figure I was lucky enough on the elk last year that I wont push my luck TOO much....lol

Man if a guy could hunt mulies around Dec 10-15th I think it would be a pretty easy deal finding a big 200++ deer in a few areas I know.....
Old 01-10-2009, 04:55 AM

I am calling total BS on Kelly. Not you, your just relaying the message. There were a few tickets at the Calgary show, but when the show came to Edmonton they were already long gone. Many people can testify to that. The fellow who won in 2007 happened to have a very similar story as to this past years winner.

That is the way I see it to. I tryed to find some tickets last year. HFT web site had a ph. # to call...ended up as a disconected old RMEF number!! Then I talked to Kelly and she said they were sold out. No one even knew tickets were out! She also said that it wasn't just one person that bought the tickets So I thought I would jump the gun this year and I e-mailed Kelly and told her what a poor job they did last year and asked when tickets would be out this year. She e-mailed back and asked me if I would like to be put on a list and I would be e-mailed when tickets were out. I replyed that she could put me on that list.....GUESS WHAT...I'm still waiting for that e-mail.
Why Alberta FNAWS isn't looking after the whole thing is beyond me!!!!
IMO HFT sucks!!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 AM

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I have to say that Kelly was more than helpful when it came to purchasing the tickets for the raffles. I read this post, emailed her, and within 1 hour got a reply. I explained that I was at work and told her that I would like to get some tickets and to pencil my name in on 2 of each, and I'd get the bride to head to the bright lights the next day to pick up/pay for them. To make a long story short, she was very accommodating and suggested some options to save the wife a trip. I was very impressed especially seeing as this whole deal was happening on a spur of the moment, after normal business hours( around 10:00 pm ), and taking into consideration that I'm sure that her duties in her position do not simply require her to sit by a 'puter or phone waiting to sell raffle tickets. To further complicate things, I emailed her later on that evening and requested more tickets on behalf of some of the guys out here on the rig. She emailed me immediately, and that whole process took less than 5 minutes to complete. As far as I'm concerned, this lady is more than helpful in her handling of this raffle. As I said in my previous post in this thread, thanks again Kelly!
Terry
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Anybody get their tickets in the mail yet?
I ordered some 2 or 3 weeks ago, the guy said they would mail them out, but nothing has showed up yet. Do they wait and send them out later or ....?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 AM

I recieved mine last friday, exoect em any time now!
Dan
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM

I got mine about 2 weeks after buying them. I'm sure they are fairly backed up with tickets to get out.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovis40 View Post

That is the way I see it to. I tryed to find some tickets last year. HFT web site had a ph. # to call...ended up as a disconected old RMEF number!! Then I talked to Kelly and she said they were sold out. No one even knew tickets were out! She also said that it wasn't just one person that bought the tickets So I thought I would jump the gun this year and I e-mailed Kelly and told her what a poor job they did last year and asked when tickets would be out this year. She e-mailed back and asked me if I would like to be put on a list and I would be e-mailed when tickets were out. I replyed that she could put me on that list.....GUESS WHAT...I'm still waiting for that e-mail.
Why Alberta FNAWS isn't looking after the whole thing is beyond me!!!!
IMO HFT sucks!!

SO, HFT SUCKS???
Lets see, they basicly run a organisation on Volunteer power and becouse you didnt get your 2 tickets, they SUCK??

Why not step up and help them rather than slag them in a publiuc forum.

Jamie
Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Anybody get their tickets in the mail yet?
I ordered some 2 or 3 weeks ago, the guy said they would mail them out, but nothing has showed up yet. Do they wait and send them out later or ....?
I received mine nearly two weeks ago. They showed up in the mail just a few days after ordering them.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 PM

got mine in the mail less than 2 weeks after ordering them ........... too bad Cabelas and WSS can't do mail order business that quick!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:24 PM

I got mine on Friday. Don't bother buying anymore the winner is ere beside my computer. Feel free to buy the mule deer and sheep just don't bother with the elk.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM

CWD is open until Dec 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
was told today by kelly semple that it is good till dec 20, but myself am a little confused on that one becasue the latest date in any wmu to hunt bucks is nov 30 but you can hunt does till dec 20, so this tag must be a special tag to hunt a buck in that open hunting season.......this is my first time buying the muley tickets so im not sure.

all the other years i know you can hunt the elk till feb 20 , because it is open down south till then, and of course the sheep is until end of november becuase thats when the draw tags can go till,,,,,,but like i say im a little confused about the muley,,,but i bought anyway.

ooops just remembered about camp wainright, is there a mule deer season open there in december , if there is thats why its open till the 20 of december
Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM

yup got all 2000 of my tickets in the mail too boys, goodluck to ya
Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 AM

Guessing these would probably be sold out by now?