Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2022, 08:35 PM

Default Rabbit Population

Has anyone else notice lots of rabbits. Both Jack Rabbits and Bush Bunnies. On the prairie their seems to be lots around. Way more than usual. Every Texas Gate has 2 bush bunnies in it.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:41 PM

Lots around, and quite a few brown yet. Confused.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-20-2022, 08:43 PM

Yep it's seems like it's happens every few years. The last time I've noticed this many was in about 2011 around here. Then we don't see any for quite a few years. I hunt them every winter with my kids and sometime they're pretty slim picking . My wife's family loves rabbit stew .

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2022, 09:16 PM

Seven year cycles I do believe. Rabbit numbers rise, coyote numbers come up, rabbits get sick, coyotes die off. Mother nature is a ......
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Seven year cycles I do believe. Rabbit numbers rise, coyote numbers come up, rabbits get sick, coyotes die off. Mother nature is a ......
It has been noted that rabbit and hares population cycles in Alberta are usually 8 to 10 years apart. Coyote and lynx populations follow the peak rabbit and hare cycles. When rabbits and hares get too populated disease will cull the numbers too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-20-2022, 09:33 PM

I’ve seen more rabbits than I can remember for a while. Tons out by Vulcan.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:27 PM

Put a few in the freezer tonight. Gotta love a good rabbit stew. Definitely seeing more out this season
Old 11-21-2022, 04:28 AM

This picture was taken on the 17 th.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:42 AM

It looks like we got lots here this year too. The lynx usually show up at some point and clean them up.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
This picture was taken on the 17 th.

I see you feed and pick out which one becomes your meal

Who needs to go to town to shop.

Smart thinking right there.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2022, 07:23 AM

I have noticed a huge decline in the raptor species this year because of the Asian bird flu. So makes sense there is more prey than normal.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:55 AM

Very strange year for sure. VERY few goldfinches this summer and zero redpolls so far this winter. And I'm sure bird flu is involved but the only positive evidence I've seen is dead snow geese in the fields in the spring.

And I don't harvest the rabbits....I just enjoy some life around the yard. And I just saw the brown one a minute ago.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:23 AM

As the hunter Fudd says "Kill the Wabbit" MMMMM Fricassee'n, Stewed or roasted. Fuzzy bunny more tender than the Big Jacks
There are a ton of em little fuzzy ones right around the cemetery on McCleod Trl. top of the hill. Just go one block west. Calgary of course
Old 11-21-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I have noticed a huge decline in the raptor species this year because of the Asian bird flu. So makes sense there is more prey than normal.
I wondered about that. Here in Sundance the osprey population this summer didn’t seem low.

However since putting bigger trout in, the hunting became harder so they come and try for a while and if unsuccessful leave and go elsewhere.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-21-2022, 08:47 AM

could be why Ive seen so many DOR badgers this year. I saw 4 total around my area, usually 1 a year is even pushing it. even had 1 show up in my yard to say hi, that one wasnt dead though, if he had waited til I got to the house I may have changed that
also drove by 3 dead jacks and a coyote all in one spot, must have been quite a party!. the coyotes Ive seen lately have amazingly heavy coats
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-21-2022, 08:52 AM

Lots of Rabbit tracks all throughout the bush where our ski trails are…more than the last few years for sure, but not a crazy amount! Coyotes are most likely full of that hoppy meal..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-21-2022, 11:00 AM
Banned

.......was young back in the '60s here in southern ab. if you weren't here, you wouldn't believe the jack population back then. people think you are lying when you try to explain it. when i left in the late '60s then came back to visit family, it was very apparent the jack population was in drastic decline and now that i have returned to live here, it is obvious they have never returned to their previous populations.

for those of you who think there are lots of rabbits now, you should have been here years ago when we used to routinely fill a pickup box with them and sell them to the fox farmer for 25 cents each......kept us in .22 shells.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:20 AM

I used to see jacks on my road all the time....but I haven't seen even ONE in many years!
Old 11-21-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
As the hunter Fudd says "Kill the Wabbit" MMMMM Fricassee'n, Stewed or roasted. Fuzzy bunny more tender than the Big Jacks
There are a ton of em little fuzzy ones right around the cemetery on McCleod Trl. top of the hill. Just go one block west. Calgary of course
I would be staying away from the ones in a cemetery- wasn’t there a report a year or so ago that those bunnies have syphylis?
Old 11-21-2022, 11:58 AM

Rabbits and Bobcats! So many of both out here
Old 11-21-2022, 12:32 PM

Tons at my place, also a few Great Horned owl's. A Snow Owl,( that I have seen so far) Lynx, and I think about 9 million Yotes.