Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 10:57 AM

Default Do stocker trout have eggs?

Caught some nice rainbows in Chain Lakes Res. on the weekend. One of these had eggs in it. I thought all stocker trout were sterile. These rainbows were different from the Jumper strain I had caught in other stocked waters. Looked more like cutthroat but did not have the slash and had the rainbow red stripe. Wondering if this was a wild (not stocked fish).

Also caught a white fish. Another fisherman came over to see it as he said he had never seen a whitey taken from the lake. Michell also does not list whites as a species present. Anybody else ever catch a whitey in Chain Res.?
Old 04-19-2021, 10:59 AM

They will still produce eggs, they are just sterile. I caught one last year at Carson that was loaded with eggs.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:09 AM

Thanks, thought sterile meant they did not produce eggs or spawn.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:34 PM

Default Whitefish

I caught a RMW from chain last year, only one I’ve heard of or seen till this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Caught some nice rainbows in Chain Lakes Res. on the weekend. One of these had eggs in it. I thought all stocker trout were sterile. These rainbows were different from the Jumper strain I had caught in other stocked waters. Looked more like cutthroat but did not have the slash and had the rainbow red stripe. Wondering if this was a wild (not stocked fish).

Also caught a white fish. Another fisherman came over to see it as he said he had never seen a whitey taken from the lake. Michell also does not list whites as a species present. Anybody else ever catch a whitey in Chain Res.?
Old 04-19-2021, 12:41 PM

It depends if the fish are diploid or triploid genetically. You can check on the stocking report.
Diploid fish will still produce eggs.

Looks like only triploids have been stocked since 2016.
Female triploids don't produce gonads.....therefore no eggs. The presence of eggs shows that the process to create triploid fish is not 100% perfect, and some fish come through the process being diploid.

Male triploids can still produce gonads, but they are sterile. The males can still show some breeding colors and behaviors

Last edited by goldscud; 04-19-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243dude View Post
I caught a RMW from chain last year, only one I’ve heard of or seen till this post.
Thanks, my dad was a little sour I had hooked 4 so quickly, even grabbed my rod and asked how do you use spinners. Now I can tell him I may have caught 3 of the thousand of rainbows but he caught the only whitefish in the whole lake lol
Old 04-19-2021, 03:58 PM

I've caught a couple mountain whitefish from Chain Lakes over the years. Definitely rare but they are in there. I have also caught Brook and Bull trout there too but again you have to sort through 100's of rainbows and suckers before you get one. The Bull was nice though at 20" so there are probably a few bigger ones in there that just feed and grow huge on all the suckers and small newly stocked rainbows.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:30 PM

There is a lake I fish stocked rainbows and brookies in and they both produce eggs. Strangest thing I've ever come across is how many I've caught in spawning colours under the ice all winter and milt runs out of the males and eggs pour out of the females when picked up. I save the eggs if they are not yet matured and still intact inside(skein). It makes awesome bait!!
Old 04-19-2021, 11:18 PM

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...=1000442216742