Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Default New to gas auger tips

after 4 year of my eskimo 6 and 8 inch hand auger i decided to pick up a eskimo mako 8 inch 43cc auger on kijiji. It runes great so far on land but this being my first auger i was wondering if anyone has some tips for the first trip on the ice comming up and what mix gas does everyone use? I was thinking of using the shtill 50:1 pre mix and i use it a lot for my chain saw.

thanks
Old 11-06-2019, 10:12 PM

I use shell premium with 50 to 1 stihl oil in my old tml and it still runs great after 30 years.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:22 PM

They can get pretty hot where the exhaust comes out, easy to burn your coat if it touches. I also use shell premium
Old 11-06-2019, 10:38 PM

I use the trufuel 50:1 premix in my Eskimo and it runs amazing on it.. super clean burn...
Old 11-06-2019, 10:40 PM

^^ also be mindful of which was the carb is pointed when laying down in the truck or down in a sleigh .. had a couple buddies damage the carb on those eskimos... I keep mine pointed up always and have never had a problem
Old 11-07-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
^^ also be mindful of which was the carb is pointed when laying down in the truck or down in a sleigh .. had a couple buddies damage the carb on those eskimos... I keep mine pointed up always and have never had a problem
^^^ This, and make sure the O-ring or gasket is on the inside of the gas cap each time you fill it up. (If applicable)

I use Royal Purple 2-stoke on anything that will take it with a small dash of Sea Foam just to keep the carbs from gumming and sticking. Oil is a preference for the most part, only a few are noticeably better for specific things. Redline Shockproof is superior in a Harley tranny, no other oil comes close not even Amsoil, and that is fantastic oil.

I also use Petro Can 94 Ultra Premium in all my toys although none of them have turbos or superchargers so I know I'm just wasting my money over buying regular gas, but they are all small cheap to fill tanks so why not.

I fill a couple of BIG jerry cans and dispense from there as needed. Filling a small tank like a dirtbike using ultra at the pump would be pointless as the first X amount of litres is in the line after the blend valve & in the hose of whatever the guy before me was using, likely regular.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:21 AM

And don’t be afraid to play with setting screw on carb. My old jiffy needs to be tweaked sometimes depending on temperature.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:01 AM

Don’t give it your all trying pushing the auger through the ice. Let the auger do the work. Keep the blades shape and be mindful of kids/pets when around the auger, my pup brushed his leg against the blades and needed stitches.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:27 AM

Another vote here for seafoam. That stuff works wonders.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 AM

I have a Z51 55cc auger. No serious issues thus far. I try to make sure to run it empty each season, and fire it up a few times at the start of the season before I go out. Use whatever fuel to oil ratio it calls for; it's likely 50:1. I use Shell premium and whatever oil is the most expensive the particular store carries.

I'd consider getting the blades sharpened or replacing them, as you don't know what kind of condition they're in buying used. I've had blades that feel sharp that couldn't cut through butter. I would also carry a properly sized hex key to tighten the auger to the powerhead, as they can sometimes loosen.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:17 PM

Premix fuel is the best. It’s always run better for me no matter how diligent I am at mixing it myself.

Something nobody else mentioned, make sure to bring your hand auger with you as a backup. Nothing worse than driving a couple hours and not being able to punch holes. Worst case you can set a tip up while you fiddle with the power auger.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
I use the trufuel 50:1 premix in my Eskimo and it runs amazing on it.. super clean burn...
Great stuff
Old 11-07-2019, 09:06 PM

Discussed many times over the years on this forum. 1packet Opti 2 oil in your 1 gal gas can and fill with Shell premium or other with no ethanol. This one mix will run all your gas toys winter or summer and no measuring to be done. Built in stabilizer too if you dont fish enough to use it up quickly.
Get the blades sharpened professionally and get a spare set of blades and make sure they are sharp and ready in case you hit gravel or sandy ice.
As mentioned dont push down just let the blades cut through. If you need to push it change your blades.
And yes I have the same auger with 10 inch flyt and has been a great machine other than when the blades get dull. Also carry hex key for flyt as already said and tools to fit nuts on blades in case you need to change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeretimex View Post
after 4 year of my eskimo 6 and 8 inch hand auger i decided to pick up a eskimo mako 8 inch 43cc auger on kijiji. It runes great so far on land but this being my first auger i was wondering if anyone has some tips for the first trip on the ice comming up and what mix gas does everyone use? I was thinking of using the shtill 50:1 pre mix and i use it a lot for my chain saw.

thanks
Old 11-07-2019, 09:10 PM

I have the exact same auger.I use the eskimo oil and mix it with the highest octane gas you can find.I run mine after starting it for a good 20 seconds wide open before i ever attempt drilling a hole.Dont force the auger,just keep a good firm pressure on it.Avoid drilling into old frozen over holes-some do it but I have had bad luck with it.When you are done drilling holes lay the auger with the tank facing up.Dont let a build up of ice around the blades after your done drilling.Take 30 seconds and clean it off.I also always put the blade cover on it after I am done drilling-Learned my lesson after clipping the blades on my arm coming around the endgate of the truck.I also make sure to set it in the truck box on an old roll of carpet to prevent it from banging into other gear when your crossing the rough ice.Sorry for the long response.Everyone has their own opinions so take advice from alot of people.Enjoy your new tool and have fun out there.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:30 PM

I used the Stihl pre-mixed fuel in my jiffy power auger comes in a 4L metal can. Auger ran great on it. But I sold it 2 years ago and bought an electric Ion X. When I sold it I gave the buyer the half can of fuel and told him it’s worth the extra money as the auger never ran better after putting that fuel in it. I’ve also heard good things about the pre-mixed Aspen fuel. I believe you can get 2 stroke which comes in a red jug and 4 stroke comes in a blue jug. Can be bought at Cabelas or at any small engine shop.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeretimex View Post

thanks
I use The highest grade Esso or superstore gas as it does not have ethanol. I use Stihl or Eskimo brand oil as they have fuel stabilizers in them. If you use and oil with out stabilizer I would certainly put some in.

After putting the auger away I put on a gas cap that seals or seal it with a plastic bag to limit fuel oxidation on storage.

Once or twice in the summer I start it up if I remember and have never had a problem.

Do not drill a half hole and leave your auger standing up right. Have seen a couple of guys freeze there augers in and loose there legs that way. It also dulls the blades.

Late in the season you might have to take a leg extension with you. I have one but as of yet have never needed it. Have had to drill right down to the ice surface a couple of times though so glad I had it along.

When the ice is deep I usually clean the shavings out of the hole with the auger once or twice. Gord Pyzer says it keeps you blades sharper by not having as much weight on them. It also makes it lighter after you go through. When the ice is deep, so your bent over. and the water breaks through and soaks the shavings it can be a lot of weigh. I even saw a guy get flipped over his auger once doing that.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 PM

All good points.

I use Tru Fuel 50:1 in my Eskimo. Carry spare blades, spark plug, extension and recoil in my truck. Like to be prepared as best I can in case something goes wrong. Hate to have to head home because of something simple.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
All good points.

I use Tru Fuel 50:1 in my Eskimo. Carry spare blades, spark plug, extension and recoil in my truck. Like to be prepared as best I can in case something goes wrong. Hate to have to head home because of something simple.
I always used shell premium in my Eskimo, never let me down once over 5 years. Gonna try the tru fuel this year.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I always used shell premium in my Eskimo, never let me down once over 5 years. Gonna try the tru fuel this year.

I doubt you'll regret it. Probably goes without saying but just be sure to get absolutely as much of the old fuel out as you can before running the pre mixed stuff. They don't mix well together.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
I used the Stihl pre-mixed fuel in my jiffy power auger comes in a 4L metal can. Auger ran great on it. But I sold it 2 years ago and bought an electric Ion X. When I sold it I gave the buyer the half can of fuel and told him it’s worth the extra money as the auger never ran better after putting that fuel in it. I’ve also heard good things about the pre-mixed Aspen fuel. I believe you can get 2 stroke which comes in a red jug and 4 stroke comes in a blue jug. Can be bought at Cabelas or at any small engine shop.
Stihl pre mixed is 42.00 a gallon!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:12 AM

I run Premium fuel with Stihl oil 50:1 aswell. I believe once you start with a certain good quality fuel and oil combo stick with it. Like previously mentioned stabilizer is a component of Stihl oil. These points are more important than just the brand used.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:25 PM

The manual has everything you need to know and more. Learn how to start it (number one issue most people have is not knowing how to choke/start auger properly in cold weather) and make sure to store it properly over the summer months. I have always used shell premium fuel (best available), oil mixed as per manufacturer's instructions.

https://www.geteskimo.com/Documents/Download/1654