Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Default Question on excessive use of force

Last night about 4AM a cop stopped a car in front of my apartment and it got a little carried away. I missed the first half of it by the time I woke up from all the shouting. The officer had the guy on the ground and was arguing with him to roll over. Eventually he slugged him a few times and tazed him all while he had him subdued on the ground.

I recorded a video but you can't really make out any faces however the audio is clear and you can make out the officer's unit number from the video.

I've never lived in a sketchy neighbourhood so maybe I'm just being flakey but is it worth giving the video to anyone or should I just mind my own beeswax?
Old 11-04-2019, 08:17 PM

How was it excessive?

Subdued? That means in control. If he isn’t in cuffs it ain’t really over
Old 11-04-2019, 08:21 PM

Just my opinion, but if there was shouting and arguing about rolling over then the officer was completely justified.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
How was it excessive?

Well this is why I'm asking... When does dealing with a stubborn suspect become excessive force? That one a few months back of the Edmonton cop slamming a guy's head into a wall comes to mind.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Well this is why I'm asking... When does dealing with a stubborn suspect become excessive force? That one a few months back of the Edmonton cop slamming a guy's head into a wall comes to mind.
If they are on the ground, its still on. Until the guy is cuffed, anything can happen. Just because the cop has him down means nothing. The guy is just catching his breath.

It sounds like the cop was trying to gain control of the guy. If he needs the taser, well that’s exactly what a taser is for

If the bad guy is wailing on a cop on the ground, its seen as an assault.
If the cop is wailing on a guy on the ground, its seen as excessive force and the cop gets charged and loses his career.

Id say if a cop and a guy are fighting on the ground, I can identify which one is the bad guy
Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
If they are on the ground, its still on. Until the guy is cuffed, anything can happen. Just because the cop has him down means nothing. The guy is just catching his breath.

It sounds like the cop was trying to gain control of the guy. If he needs the taser, well that’s exactly what a taser is for
The guy also crapped himself from the taser which is about when I'd have given up The cops had a laugh about making that officer put him in his squad car.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 PM

Assuming the guy being arrested is a real criminal, I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:34 PM

Default Video

Just send the recording to the local media and let them decide if it was appropriate.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The guy also crapped himself from the taser which is about when I'd have given up The cops had a laugh about making that officer put him in his squad car.
Hmmmm. I think the taser probably didn’t make him crap. Id say the struggle did it. Ive been tased a lot. Had to really pee once before i got zapped. Didnt pee
Old 11-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Physically resisting arrest is the dumbest thing anyone can do- it just invites more hurt.

The cops have to keep escalating until they get the job done. I wouldn’t bother showing the video.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Just send the recording to the local media and let them decide if it was appropriate.
Your what’s wrong with the world!!!!! Delete it and go back to bed, a criminal was removed from you neighbourhood be happy, glad he crapped his pants, hope he had to sit in it all night
Old 11-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
That just helps criminals and low life stealing crack heads as far as I'm concerned .... yeah .... you know .... those guys that steal stuff from us who work for a living instead.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Last night about 4AM a cop stopped a car in front of my apartment and it got a little carried away. I missed the first half of it by the time I woke up from all the shouting. The officer had the guy on the ground and was arguing with him to roll over. Eventually he slugged him a few times and tazed him all while he had him subdued on the ground.

I recorded a video but you can't really make out any faces however the audio is clear and you can make out the officer's unit number from the video.

I've never lived in a sketchy neighbourhood so maybe I'm just being flakey but is it worth giving the video to anyone or should I just mind my own beeswax?
Slugged and tazed before he rolled over ?
Old 11-04-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That just helps criminals and low life stealing crack heads as far as I'm concerned .... yeah .... you know .... those guys that steal stuff from us who work for a living instead.
I think that's the one that makes up my mind. I just pictured that dbag who tried to sue the farmer for wounding him while he was stealing stuff from his property.

Thanks for the advice folks.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I think that's the one that makes up my mind. I just pictured that dbag who tried to sue the farmer for wounding him while he was stealing stuff from his property.

Thanks for the advice folks.
Its just opinion big brother. We weren’t there. You were for most of it.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
No, just let it be. Maybe the guy was high on drugs, it can give you super strength and make you irrational. The media is always looking to create controversy, even if it's not indicated. No sense feeding the vultures.

Grizz
Old 11-04-2019, 09:25 PM

Don’t be that guy. The police have a tough job. Delete the video now and never think of it again. If he was fighting with an officer he was probably up to no good IMO. The officer does not need the grief.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Its just opinion big brother. We weren’t there. You were for most of it.
If it was obvious I wouldn't have asked here. I value you guys' opinions. Somebody else called this place a fountain of generalist knowledge and that's why I love this forum.

Feel free to tell us stories of being tased though, I think they'd be entertaining.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
Your what’s wrong with the world!!!!! Delete it and go back to bed, a criminal was removed from you neighbourhood be happy, glad he crapped his pants, hope he had to sit in it all night
here, here! i'm quite amazed he even took the video, let alone wonder what to do with it after the fact.

we here/read threads all the time about there never being a policeman when you call one, then when a scumbag gets done in your neighbourhood, you're wondering what to do with the video?????burn it!
Old 11-04-2019, 09:35 PM

Disobedience came from weak back hands... It’s lot more true in this generation.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
If it was obvious I wouldn't have asked here. I value you guys' opinions. Somebody else called this place a fountain of generalist knowledge and that's why I love this forum.

Feel free to tell us stories of being tased though, I think they'd be entertaining.
Lol

First time i hadnt even seen a taser before. A guy in my crew was issued one. He removed the cartridge, came up behind me and arched it between my legs.

Fyi. Your dick will move aside, all on its own, if your luggage gets tased. And it leaves little x burn marks too

One time a bunch of us joined arms in the gym and one wire from the taser was at one end and the other wire was at the other. Seeing if the current would go thru all of us. Chief walked in to see what we were up to. I looped my arm around his and buddy pulled the trigger...... current went thru all of us, chief included.

I took one 5 second cycle to see if i could stay standing. Barely, but i did it.

Nothing like knowing what it feels like before you use it on someone
Old 11-04-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
here, here! i'm quite amazed he even took the video, let alone wonder what to do with it after the fact.

we here/read threads all the time about there never being a policeman when you call one, then when a scumbag gets done in your neighbourhood, you're wondering what to do with the video?????burn it!
Never mind, not worth indulging keyboard warriors.

Last edited by ssyd; 11-04-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Lol

First time i hadnt even seen a taser before. A guy in my crew was issued one. He removed the cartridge, came up behind me and arched it between my legs.

Fyi. Your dick will move aside, all on its own, if your luggage gets tased. And it leaves little x burn marks too

One time a bunch of us joined arms in the gym and one wire from the taser was at one end and the other wire was at the other. Seeing if the current would go thru all of us. Chief walked in to see what we were up to. I looped my arm around his and buddy pulled the trigger...... current went thru all of us, chief included.

I took one 5 second cycle to see if i could stay standing. Barely, but i did it.

Nothing like knowing what it feels like before you use it on someone
Should be a mandatory part of the training, that's good stuff lol.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 PM

I do not think for a second any Police officer wants to willingly be found rolling around on a cold sidewalk getting dirted up at 4:am...the queston that should be asked is, what was that dude that required said tasing be doing at that time of the morning.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I do not think for a second any Police officer wants to willingly be found rolling around on a cold sidewalk getting dirted up at 4:am...the queston that should be asked is, what was that dude that required said tasing be doing at that time of the morning.
I can tell you what he wasn't doing ...... getting up like the rest of us to go to work and earn an honest living.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Don’t be that guy. The police have a tough job. Delete the video now and never think of it again. If he was fighting with an officer he was probably up to no good IMO. The officer does not need the grief.
^^^ This.

Innocent people don't find themselves wrestling around on the ground at 4 AM with a cop. The more force the better!

Keep your phone in your pocket and enjoy the show.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
^^^ This.

Innocent people don't find themselves wrestling around on the ground at 4 AM with a cop. The more force the better!

Keep your phone in your pocket and enjoy the show.
Exactly.

Don't want to meet the cops at 4am? Don't be doing something that requires them to get close up and personal.

Don't want to get tazed and punched after you've likely been told to quit resisting? Don't resist.

It's really just that simple. Life's all about choices. The perp likely chose to be doing what he was doing at 4am. Likely made the choice to resist also.

Live with the consequences of your choices.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Disobedience came from weak back hands... It’s lot more true in this generation.
Simple statement but this guy gets it...
Old 11-05-2019, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
How was it excessive?

Exactly....wow nowadays excessive force could be considered your voice being raised....societies dainty flowers....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-05-2019, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Here we go

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...