Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 09:40 PM

Default Reminiscing

True story. It was the spring of 1978, the scene was my grade 8 drama class at Prairie River Jr High. We had this lovely lady, Mrs Matthews as our teacher. We were all given a chance to perform a skit or whatever in front of the class. Some friends and I decided we were going to put on an ass kicking show. We were going to be the band KISS. We spent weeks preparing, I was playing the drummer, Peter Criss. I built a set of drums out of boxes, we had colored lights, strobe lights, the works. But it was missing something... it needed some flair.... or smoke. I did some Research & Development getting things just right. Icing sugar and salt peter mixture should be the bomb! Show time.. we cranked up the stereo, shut the lights and gave a performance that on it's own merit was fantastic. Then when the timing was just right, the signal... my 2 roadies lit the mixture that was sitting on 2 desks, 1 each side of us. There was a fizzle, then some smoke. This is great. Then things went wrong. The smoke turned to 2' then 4' then 6' high blazing flames and a **** load of white smoke filled the class room. The shrouds on the fluorescent lights above the flames started to melt and sag. Then thankfully the flames settled down and went out. Mrs Matthews was in a bit of shock. Next the door burst open and the Vice Principal came in. We opened all the windows and assessed the damage. Needless to say the 2 desk tops were scorched and burnt. My punishment for this indiscretion was sanding and repairing desks for 2 weeks worth of lunch hours. But.... I got an A+ grade. 😉
Old 11-06-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
True story. It was the spring of 1978, the scene was my grade 8 drama class at Prairie River Jr High. We had this lovely lady, Mrs Matthews as our teacher. We were all given a chance to perform a skit or whatever in front of the class. Some friends and I decided we were going to put on an ass kicking show. We were going to be the band KISS. We spent weeks preparing, I was playing the drummer, Peter Criss. I built a set of drums out of boxes, we had colored lights, strobe lights, the works. But it was missing something... it needed some flair.... or smoke. I did some Research & Development getting things just right. Icing sugar and salt peter mixture should be the bomb! Show time.. we cranked up the stereo, shut the lights and gave a performance that on it's own merit was fantastic. Then when the timing was just right, the signal... my 2 roadies lit the mixture that was sitting on 2 desks, 1 each side of us. There was a fizzle, then some smoke. This is great. Then things went wrong. The smoke turned to 2' then 4' then 6' high blazing flames and a **** load of white smoke filled the class room. The shrouds on the fluorescent lights above the flames started to melt and sag. Then thankfully the flames settled down and went out. Mrs Matthews was in a bit of shock. Next the door burst open and the Vice Principal came in. We opened all the windows and assessed the damage. Needless to say the 2 desk tops were scorched and burnt. My punishment for this indiscretion was sanding and repairing desks for 2 weeks worth of lunch hours. But.... I got an A+ grade. 😉
I will NEVER forget this story buddy

Leo. Peter Criss. Im in awe

And all these years id have believed you woulda been doing a Waylon& Willie show

Man, you totally had me
Old 11-06-2019, 11:20 PM

You young bastidge. 1978 I was....nevermind.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

And all these years id have believed you woulda been doing a Waylon& Willie show

Man, you totally had me
It truly was an epic performance. We each had full make up which some of the girls applied for us before the show. However, I'm sure Mrs Matthews still has flashbacks everytime she hears Detroit Rock City. 😉
Old 11-07-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Man, you totally had me
No kidding me too!
1978?!
Yeah now I DO feel old!!
Cat
Old 11-07-2019, 05:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Rock'n'roll....what a performance!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-07-2019, 10:44 AM

78! That's the year I said, "I do." And I'm still saying it with the same woman
Old 11-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
78! That's the year I said, "I do." And I'm still saying it with the same woman
Excellent, What ever your doing is the recipe for marital bliss.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:20 PM

Default Remember when?

We did a similar thing in high school in 1979.
A bunch of dressed up for our Halloween school dance as the baseball gang from the movie Warriors. It was about street gangs in New York that was popular at the time.

We were young, dumb, full of Rye and Rum.

That was the last time there ever was a Halloween dance at our high school.