Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-11-2021, 02:22 PM

Default Casting for Trophy Fall Lake Trout

This is my favourite time of the year and the ability to cast for these lake trout in 1-5ft of water unreal. I had the opportunity to share this amazing experience with my girlfriend Katelyn and she learned what casting for fall lake trout was all about (minus the snow and cold weather...) This fall was warmer then normal and did not present favourable conditions for the big mature fish to be up and active on spawning areas at the time we had arrive. We fished hard, covering as many areas as we could in a day constantly working shoreline and spawning reefs. We did manage 3 masters on our trip so it was worth the grind or casting all day long. The colours on these fish are just unreal and I was in awe of every single orange fish as it came boatside. This is what fall fishing is all about

Hope you guys enjoy the footage of some fall lake trout fishing!

https://youtu.be/J3fdX6fQpo0
Old 10-11-2021, 03:24 PM

Why are you catching fish that are trying to spawn. Not very intelligent
Old 10-11-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Why are you catching fish that are trying to spawn. Not very intelligent
I started to watch the video but had to turn it off. My thought was I know its catch and release fishing but it is very unethical to be targeting a species that takes years to grow and reach maturity while on their spawning beds. Most places the season on lake trout is closed at that time. Don't know about here or where he was fishing but in Ontario it was ILLEGAL to specifically target any species during a closed season on them. I expect even if those fish swam away appearing unharmed that there will still be a % that were killed unseen and during the spawning period that takes out that many more. I have lost any interest at all in watching this guys videos any longer....
Old 10-11-2021, 04:45 PM

There's lots of Fishing lodges that stay open just for this season of spawning lake trout. I work for five star lodges in Saskatchewan that targeted the spawning season every year
Old 10-11-2021, 05:07 PM

We fished Plummer's arctic lodge on Great Slave this summer and I give them kudos for shutting down before the trout start spawning. Good on you Chummy.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
We fished Plummer's arctic lodge on Great Slave this summer and I give them kudos for shutting down before the trout start spawning. Good on you Chummy.
He probably shut down this summer because they probably didn't have enough clientele wait till next year when the Americans are back it'll be wide open
Old 10-12-2021, 09:45 AM

Nope, they have always shut down to protect spawning trout.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
Nope, they have always shut down to protect spawning trout.
I'd say they probably shut down cuz there's no business than Maybe when I work there we were always done around the end of August
Old 10-13-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
I started to watch the video but had to turn it off. My thought was I know its catch and release fishing but it is very unethical to be targeting a species that takes years to grow and reach maturity while on their spawning beds. Most places the season on lake trout is closed at that time. Don't know about here or where he was fishing but in Ontario it was ILLEGAL to specifically target any species during a closed season on them. I expect even if those fish swam away appearing unharmed that there will still be a % that were killed unseen and during the spawning period that takes out that many more. I have lost any interest at all in watching this guys videos any longer....
The season was not closed nor is it illegal to target these fish at this time... I can assure that these fish were well taken care of, barbless hooks, unhooked in the water, out for a quick picture and right back to swim away. Either way thanks for the view I appreciate it!
Old 10-14-2021, 07:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
The season was not closed nor is it illegal to target these fish at this time... I can assure that these fish were well taken care of, barbless hooks, unhooked in the water, out for a quick picture and right back to swim away. Either way thanks for the view I appreciate it!
Good on you for taking the high road with regards to some of the comments...legal is legal.

I am too busy finding birds but might bring a rod out for a toss or two

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2021, 08:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

I see you're bundled up but barefoot....must be seasoning the feet for the upcoming ice fishing

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...