Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Default fly fishing lake whitefish

Hey guys,

I just got my first fly fishing gear and my dad wants to go out for lake white fish tomorrow. I did some research and found that lake whitefish take blood worm and chronomids. Does any one know if its still viable this late in the season? Also if it's doable what setup should I be using? Sink line and any help is strike indicator? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

noobsauce
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM

There have been a few threads run on this topic, if you use the search you will probably get more info than you would waiting for something on a Fri. afternoon. For what it's worth I've always done well with a caddis pupa, but they are just like trout, so watch for hatches. This time of year backswimmers and waterboatman are becoming active so that might be a place to start.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM

Awesome thanks, ill google those flies and see what they look like. I've looked on the forums, seems they are all rather old, but thats where I learned about the blood worm and such :-)
Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Going for lake whites is hard, but once u figure it out you will hammer them. They like to hang out in sandy bays/shoals in about 7-15 feet of water. You don't need sink line, but just a 12 foot leader, set the indicator so the fly is within 10 inches of the bottom. I would go with black, silver ribbed cronimids or red with black ribbed. Also try back swimmers such as a prince nymph. Pheasant tail nymphs work as well. I'm sure a good olive caddis pupae would work as well. Leave the flys drift giving them slight twitches every now and then. Good luck
Old 08-24-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
Going for lake whites is hard, but once u figure it out you will hammer them. They like to hang out in sandy bays/shoals in about 7-15 feet of water. You don't need sink line, but just a 12 foot leader, set the indicator so the fly is within 10 inches of the bottom. I would go with black, silver ribbed cronimids or red with black ribbed. Also try back swimmers such as a prince nymph. Pheasant tail nymphs work as well. I'm sure a good olive caddis pupae would work as well. Leave the flys drift giving them slight twitches every now and then. Good luck
I wouldn't just count on them being on the bottom all the time.

I have seen and caught way more cruising just below the surface then I have right off of the bottom.

Search the water column for them and if you are noticing them rising maybe try something closer to the surface.

I am always seeing pods of whites cruising around while I am out searching for walleyes.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM

Last couple times out at wabamun I have seen them clear the surface taking bugs floating on top.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Whitefish

Hi guys
Get your self a sonar and learn how to use it and you will be able to find your white fish. You will then know what depth they are at.
Good Luck
Columbia Old Guy
Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Hi noobsauce ..I have done a few post on summertime Lake Whitefish on the Fly Rod. just use the search engine on here. you will need floating line if you are indicator fishing and then the tippet you want what ever # and set your indicator at the depth you want .. then fly cast it out and watch it like a hawk .. the moment it goes under set the hook by lifting your rod and bring your line in using your left hand .. then be ready for the run don't put too much pressure on the fish as Lake Whitefish have soft mouth unless you get the nose perfect .. take your time once you have them on... I lost 2 four# Lake Whites on Wed this week by putting on too much pressure.. watch for them feeding in 8ft of water or less they will be rising as others have said .. and when Lake Whitefish are hunting they are everywhere feeding .. you can watch them rise all around you the key is always when fly fishing is to match the hatch or match one of their food sources.. here is my boy Nathan and myself

off to Maligne Lake tomorrow

Hope this helps and this is as always

Food for Thought
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobsauce View Post
Hey guys,

I just got my first fly fishing gear and my dad wants to go out for lake white fish tomorrow. I did some research and found that lake whitefish take blood worm and chronomids. Does any one know if its still viable this late in the season? Also if it's doable what setup should I be using? Sink line and any help is strike indicator? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

noobsauce
Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 PM

Dandy whites , speckle55 , and you talk of matching the hatch . To a simple poor excuse of a flyfisherman like me , what fly do you suggest ?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM

here is a video that's great .video Jack Dennis Tying & Fishing Stillwater Flies With Brian Chan. most Lake whitefish also are bottom feeders so you will find snails too blood worms in stomach which you should pump or open if you kill ... I use San Jaun Worm as they will feed on them if they are hunting .. here is a pick of what I saw for food and a few more nice Whites

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Dandy whites , speckle55 , and you talk of matching the hatch . To a simple poor excuse of a flyfisherman like me , what fly do you suggest ?

Last edited by Speckle55; 08-01-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 PM

Wow! Gorgeous photo, and nice looking white!

Tags
fly fishing, lake whitefish, sink line, strike indicator