Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 PM

Default Suffield Update

Pretty tough hunting.

Logged a ton of miles... We've hunted a couple prime locations, putting a ton of miles on the boots. We've also cruised around a bit to check a few other spots.

Passed in a couple 320-330 bulls. Seeing a few decent bulls on the block, but they aren't interested in coming anywhere near the fence. You can definitely see they've been pushed and hunted already.

Talked to a lot of landowners and there's been hunting going on for a few weeks now... Last night we left a spot at dark and came back this morning at 5:00am. Gut pile and head of elk calf in the middle of the trail just past the Texas gate... I guess there's some hunters excercising their rights....

Good luck to anyone coming out here to hunt. You're gonna need it! It's not like it was before that's for sure. Sad...
Old 09-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Wow that's unfortunate. I was just wondering when someone would post a update on the hunt. Doesn't give me a lot of hope in a couple years when I will have enough points. If I see anything big in my travels looking for mules I will let you know.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:46 PM

A friend killed a bull that will score around 300 out of a herd of about 200 elk on his first day. 14 years is a long time to wait for a 300 class bull.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the update Don K.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 PM

Not what I wanted to hear, but appreciated none the less. I'll be there for second season.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:24 AM

Well that really sucks. How much priority did you have?
Can you hunt your zones while the base hunt is on?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:15 AM

14 years priority for this... We secured the access on the right spots for opening week and had high hopes even though we'd heard all the stories. Saw a few good bulls in our preseason trips but unfortunately those bulls were shot preseason...
Spoke to a couple landowners who filled us n on the slaughter that happened prior to the opener. One was a happy camper, 'Damn Elk won't be running around our place!' He said with a chuckle... The other guy was ****ed and said even though he have natives the green light that he'd never do it again. Shooting anything, everything and at all hours. Open a can of worms and it's hard to go back... His estimate is 300+ bulls and at least that in cows/calves. Also a few good mulies and a handful of antelope.

North and east side of base are a proverbial wasteland... Seeing a few mulies and goats and a couple moose (not sure how those are still standing) but not much else. I think we are gonna lick our wounds, regroup and try the west side of the zone. I've heard that there are a few spots over there that are a bit less shot up.

Tough sledding but here's hoping! Lol
Can't throw the towel in on 14 years of waiting!!
Old 09-11-2015, 05:17 AM

Yup, been hunting the last 2 days, not one good bull out of base. I'd personally like to thank our government for this wonderful 2 tier system we have. What a waste of my 13 priority points....1 decent bull over 300, if your coming out don't have high hopes, sorry guys, it's not good😔
Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Not what I wanted to hear, but appreciated none the less. I'll be there for second season.
Ya... You still gotta give it a try, but really rethink what your goals are. It'll be more of a disappointment as the season goes on. Id say the only guys with a legit chance outside the block are the ones here when the base hunt is on. Still a chance outside the base as they are elk and move around, but they are elk and are pretty smart animals who learn quick...

Off on another death March this morning, here's hoping!!!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:24 AM

Default Land owners

I guess some land owners will get what they wished for, no wild animals as far as the eye can see, just cattle...
Really burns my backside, inviting a slaughter on a micro geographical area, oh well. There are some great folks around the block that helped me out during my time. Very specific dates to control the access, worked really nice. Makes a guy want to run all those elk back into the block daily in August. It's a shame to think that the bulls if Suffield will one day be no more.
Good luck out there, I heard of a 380 killed opening morning, so they are there, and that was about 5 miles west of the block, approx.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
14 years priority for this... We secured the access on the right spots for opening week and had high hopes even though we'd heard all the stories. Saw a few good bulls in our preseason trips but unfortunately those bulls were shot preseason...
Spoke to a couple landowners who filled us n on the slaughter that happened prior to the opener. One was a happy camper, 'Damn Elk won't be running around our place!' He said with a chuckle... The other guy was ****ed and said even though he have natives the green light that he'd never do it again. Shooting anything, everything and at all hours. Open a can of worms and it's hard to go back... His estimate is 300+ bulls and at least that in cows/calves. Also a few good mulies and a handful of antelope.

North and east side of base are a proverbial wasteland... Seeing a few mulies and goats and a couple moose (not sure how those are still standing) but not much else. I think we are gonna lick our wounds, regroup and try the west side of the zone. I've heard that there are a few spots over there that are a bit less shot up.

Tough sledding but here's hoping! Lol
Can't throw the towel in on 14 years of waiting!!
Thanks natives, well done!!! Had a couple of friends down there hunting mulies and witnessed first hand the absolute disgusting slaughter that was taking place. It is their right, but for being so called stewards of the land it sure makes you wonder.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the update donK.
Definitly a little depressing.

Wishing i put in for this tag last year!

Let us know how the west end looks.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:30 AM

My buddy killed s VERY large bull down there just recently
Haven't spoke with him yet but saw the picture on another ftiend's phone last night.
Really nice bull
Cat
Old 09-11-2015, 07:30 AM

Heading down for second season for cow and bull fingers crossed. Seeing any cows off the base on the north or east side? Where is most of the off base cull happening? Thanks guys for the update and good luck out there,sounds like a lot of bullets flying around.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My buddy killed s VERY large bull down there just recently
Haven't spoke with him yet but saw the picture on another ftiend's phone last night.
Really nice bull
Cat
How could someone kill a BIG bull Cat ? Don't you read AO ? There is no animals left in these parts and certainly no trophies.... There have been a few big bull tagged this week and more than enough to go around.

This whole bash the natives stuff is getting really old, this fiasco here is sad and remember this is a cull...

Best of luck to all.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
How could someone kill a BIG bull Cat ? Don't you read AO ? There is no animals left in these parts and certainly no trophies.... There have been a few big bull tagged this week and more than enough to go around.

This whole bash the natives stuff is getting really old, this fiasco here is sad and remember this is a cull...

Best of luck to all.
25 tags in a 4 week season, seems like a terribly planned cull. It's almost like its a regular season with a unique opportunity to hunt trophy elk in Alberta.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Best of luck to all.
AB premium elk hunt that is a 14yr wait right now. And will be 25yr wait for next time a guy draws, is a "cull hunt" and everyone should relax that natives can run around the province shooting it up? Ok we will stand down lol
Old 09-11-2015, 08:38 AM

Sounds like you guys are thinking this Suffield hunt is killing and not hunting. Those 380+ bulls don't get that big by standing in the open their whole life. Sounds like a canned hunt is what you are after. It is a cull so I'm guessing the more the aboriginals take the better.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Banned

Thanks for the update. Keep at it and good luck!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:42 AM

I've spoken to at least half a dozen guys with cow tags, not one successful yet, I'm sure there's been some but it's tough going... Good luck to those coming
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 AM

I'm not against the natives having their hunting right, They were here first, they should be able to hunt what they need. That being said they should have to follow the same hunting hours (1/2 hour before dawn, 1/2 hour after dusk), and if a animal is protected, not be able to shoot them either, like the caribou, grizzles etc.

Quote:
How could someone kill a BIG bull Cat ? Don't you read AO ? There is no animals left in these parts and certainly no trophies....
Well, to be truthful , he's a pretty big guy, and the fellas that know him don't think he shot it but actually jumped on it from the back of a truck and body slammed it - or maybe the ol' Tombstone move ala the Undertaker, or possibly a Sulplex!
Cat
Banned

It looks like a case of once their gone, their gone. The cull doesn't sound like it will be long lasting, nor does the trophy hunt. I'm just glad I have never had hopes of a trophy hunt there, and I feel bad for those that have been applying for the hunt, some for over a decade.

I can't see this hunt as being something many people will feel is worth applying for anymore, another opportunity taken away from Alberta licensed hunters. Just accept it and move on, nobody cares to hear about it.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Best of luck to all.
Oh I am not bashing natives, I am just stating facts, and if that feels like bashing to you maybe there is something wrong. Hmmmm
Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 AM

while I agree that the native free for all is abhorrent i dont think a lot of people have realistic expectations when they pull these tags. Just because you wait 14 years for an elk tag doesnt entitle you a chance at a 375" bull elk. Doing your "homework", lining up permission, putting on miles....those are all best practices, but none of it guarantees you success. I get that people hunting around the base are frustrated but the days of shooting 375" bulls like fish in a barrel are done. Welcome to the New Alberta guys...
Old 09-11-2015, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the update Don K. Good luck and hope you can track down a gooder to put on the ground.. We have a couple bull tags for the Nov 17-Dec 20 season and a couple more for the Jan 1-30 season so still hoping the pressure on the base gets some good Bulls moving off.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednuck View Post
25 tags in a 4 week season, seems like a terribly planned cull. It's almost like its a regular season with a unique opportunity to hunt trophy elk in Alberta.
It is a cull, I can't control the amount of licenses issued and to be honest all we are doing is sustaining the 8000 that roam these parts. Fiasco as the original plan was 800 - 1100 in CFB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
AB premium elk hunt that is a 14yr wait right now. And will be 25yr wait for next time a guy draws, is a "cull hunt" and everyone should relax that natives can run around the province shooting it up? Ok we will stand down lol
Sorry moose but this transplant was never to materialize into a trophy hunt, pizz poor management (none) has turned this into a cull. Look back a decade and show me the draw code for this trophy hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Oh I am not bashing natives, I am just stating facts, and if that feels like bashing to you maybe there is something wrong. Hmmmm
My reference is many threads on this subject turn into bash the rights of this group. I bet that a larger portion of "our" group would act probably worse than these if we were allowed the same rights. It really gets old and the dealings I have personally had with the natives was nothing but positive.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Best of luck to all.
This isn't a judgement of your character
BUT
Don't know for sure but I'm guessing you'd be singing a different tune if this uncontrolled slaughter of trophy animals was in your back yard! What if this was happening to whitetails near your home?

It wouldn't be right if happened there, and it's not right here!
Old 09-11-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
It is a cull, I can't control the amount of licenses issued and to be honest all we are doing is sustaining the 8000 that roam these parts. Fiasco as the original plan was 800 - 1100 in CFB.

Sorry moose but this transplant was never to materialize into a trophy hunt, pizz poor management (none) has turned this into a cull. Look back a decade and show me the draw code for this trophy hunt

My reference is many threads on this subject turn into bash the rights of this group. I bet that a larger portion of "our" group would act probably worse than these if we were allowed the same rights. It really gets old and the dealings I have personally had with the natives was nothing but positive.
Wow, fortunately we will never be given the chance to find out, that wouldn't be FAIR right?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:41 AM

Crown b you are absolutely bashing, re-read your post and don't backtrack. A lot of people (you figure it out if you're one of them)whining they can't go shoot in a barrell. This whole thing is more like a low fence hunt. I'ne posted this in the past, but I'll repeat. I remember in approx '95 when they implemented Metis rights here in Sask, all of a sudden alot of the pl who used to get twisted about 1st Nation hunting were all of a sudden Metis! All you had to do was self-indicate in order to get Metis card. Don't kid yourself for a second that it would be different in Alta. Wonder why there are no cool stories( other than a couple seasons ago when that guy had the footage of all the elk crossing the river) posted about the 'hunt'? Because there are very few.

Btw, there are no excuses for illegal activities, please report them...