Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Default wondering if any Native/Metis hunters want a whitetail

We currently have a 100 head of whitetail does harming our feedstocks. Just wondering if there was any Metis/Native hunters that needed any meat?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Have you contacted SRD to see if they can provide some fencing? I saw some bales wrapped in a tall snow fence that is designed to keep the animals out if it.

LC
Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 PM

You can always talk to the F&W and they should have some temperary fencing you can install to prevent the deer from getting at your feed.

Edit* Lefty's quick!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:38 PM

1 farmer I know has that same issues and he has a machine that goes bang every so often to scare them away It works at times but not sure what its called

Steve In GP

Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM

They get used to the sound pretty fast. Works only for awhile.
Having subsistence hunters come out and shoot some deer will just make them nocturnal. Not really good meat this time of year anyways.
I intercept feed at my place, I put out a couple of bales back where the deer are coming in from, this will keep a lot of them out of your feed yards. You lose a couple of bales but it saves them wrecking a bunch of other ones.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 PM

I guess the deer are going to be coming into the bales, they are probably starving. put a couple bales out for them and then contact F&W. They will supply you fencing to put around the bales to keep them out.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 PM

Been in touch with F & W. Working on some different type of fencing. Was told that scarecrows work for 1 day and the scare cannons only work for a day or two also. They told me the best thing is to try to torment them when they are there so maybe they get tired and not come back. They may turn nocturnal but if we could get a few of them first would be ok.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM

FYI, If you do go the harvesting route, Metis hunters must be from a nation or settlement within 100km of your location.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 PM

Default How much?

How many bales can 100 deer eat over the winter? Honest question.
I'll pay for some bales if you need. Must have some last years round bales for cheap this year. I'm going to feed them at my place this year, poor buggers could use a hand this winter.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga View Post
Not really good meat this time of year anyways.

Why not?........Please explain.

LS
Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 PM

I agree there has got to be some other route than shooting them as the numbers are low as it is and this winter is gonna be bad.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I'll pay for some bales if you need. Must have some last years round bales for cheap this year. I'm going to feed them at my place this year, poor buggers could use a hand this winter.
Problem is Earl that they may not necssarily eat it all, most is is gonna get trampled and crapped on and made unusable. And at hay prices they way they were this summer it can get expensive. Good range cow hay in southern alberta was a good 110$-120 a ton. As for how many pounds a hay a deer would eat per day I can't say
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Banned

Boo fricken who the deer are eating your hay. How would you like to starve to death. Cause that's what happening to the deer. Some might say that's nature but if all that grass wasnt cut and baled they would bet eating it in the field.

There is a way to set up a low electric fence. Set up one fence then another 3 feet from that one. The deer won't Jump it and if they try to go under they get zapped.

But please set out a couple bales for the starving deer
Old 12-22-2013, 09:08 PM

Deer will eat about 2-4 pounds of feed a day, not all will be from the bales though, intercepting bales would be a good plan, sacrifice a few bales for the sake of the many. With 100 deer I would guess burning through a couple bales a week, as huntin said please leave out a few for the deer, the only reason they are hitting the hay yard is they are staving to death without that, the snow is deep and winter is being a cruel mistress to the deer this year. They likely feel a little bit of this going on with the coyotes and are low on energy as it is...
Old 12-22-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
Boo fricken who the deer are eating your hay. How would you like to starve to death. Cause that's what happening to the deer. Some might say that's nature but if all that grass wasnt cut and baled they would bet eating it in the field.

There is a way to set up a low electric fence. Set up one fence then another 3 feet from that one. The deer won't Jump it and if they try to go under they get zapped.

But please set out a couple bales for the starving deer
I think you should donate some money to buy some hay to feed those deer.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post

LS
x2
Old 12-22-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
X2, I'm in. I got 100$ to buy a couple bails to get the deer through a week of this hard winter
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM

Default Prices

Ill throw in a hundred, last years bales can't be over $25, lots around.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post

LS

The meat is less nutritious in the winter compared to spring through fall as the deer have been on a restricted/dry diet for a few months now.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:47 PM

Deer numbers aren't even close to low in my area. In a 5 mile stretch, right now, of road you can count over 150 head of deer. The sad thing is WT bucks are general tag and does are on a draw. Out of 100 head that I have seen in my field I have only counted 3 bucks. The does stay on protected land and the bucks get mutilated cruising between properties. I allowed hunting in the regular season but the deer did not live on my property. They live on surrounding protected acreages. I don't care if they starve to death over the winter...or the coyotes get them. There is no other way to manage them. Disease will also get them and that is even worse for them and all deer herds. I am not here to feed them, the people who protect them during hunting season should be feeding them.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 PM

Here in this area the Provost F&G will help pay for feed.....but be sure to give them GOOD feed.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian View Post
Deer numbers aren't even close to low in my area. In a 5 mile stretch, right now, of road you can count over 150 head of deer. The sad thing is WT bucks are general tag and does are on a draw. Out of 100 head that I have seen in my field I have only counted 3 bucks. The does stay on protected land and the bucks get mutilated cruising between properties. I allowed hunting in the regular season but the deer did not live on my property. They live on surrounding protected acreages. I don't care if they starve to death over the winter...or the coyotes get them. There is no other way to manage them. Disease will also get them and that is even worse for them and all deer herds. I am not here to feed them, the people who protect them during hunting season should be feeding them.
Just curious, what area are you in? I'm sure the deer are doing better in some places than others, certainly are fewer around here than just a few years ago.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

What WMU or area of Alberta are you in?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 PM

Wmu 210
Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian View Post
D I don't care if they starve to death over the winter...or the coyotes get them. There is no other way to manage them. Disease will also get them and that is even worse for them and all deer herds. I am not here to feed them, the people who protect them during hunting season should be feeding them.
I hope not many people feel the way you do. You don't care if they starve....great attitude
I will hold in the rest of my comments
Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
I second that ..
Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Tough winter for deer and you've got to have sympathy for them. Highway between Sundre and Olds has one road kill for about every mile, it seems. F& W will supply fencing, you've just got to supply the labor. Maybe leave them a couple of bales.

Grizz
Old 12-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
M70 I feed the deer at my place. My wife says the eat better than our horses.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 AM

Hunting pregnant does or post rut bucks. There is definitely a better time to harvest meat.

Fill out the Govt. form and you will be compensated for your bale damage, my neighbours do it.
Me, I put out bales to intercept the deer, I feed over a hundred and it takes about 7 bales to do it.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Banned

The deer and moose average 24 second cut round bales a year. That's 4-6 moose and 35-40 deer. For the whole year we put out 300 bushels of oats for the deer a little at a time. We like having them around and collecting the sheds.