Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Default Suffield Elk Hunt, Fair Chase?

I know, I know, the Mod's are watching this topic closely and I'm not looking to start any trouble here but I was curious about any Boone and Crockett records being able to come out of CFB Suffield? Here's what it says on their website:

SUBSISTENCE LICENSES
In general, trophies taken with a subsistence license/permit are acceptable for entry in the Awards Programs and listing in the Club’s records books so long as they meet all the Club’s entry requirements, including all aspects of fair chase.

My question is does Boone and Crockett view Suffield as a fair chase or is it more of a farm hunt and not eligible for records?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Those r not penned elk no problem jumping a barbwire fence
Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 AM

FAIR CHASE STATEMENT
FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

You decide, sounds like a fair chase hunt to me though.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Hope to draw a archery tag next year to man i cant wait
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
My question is does Boone and Crockett view Suffield as a fair chase or is it more of a farm hunt and not eligible for records?
What pound test is attached to this?

Suffield is the same size as the State of Rhode Island.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM

What about found wildlife ? How does that fit into fairchase?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:36 AM

here is the site it will answer most questions
http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...area=bgRecords

David
Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
I know, I know, the Mod's are watching this topic closely and I'm not looking to start any trouble here but I was curious about any Boone and Crockett records being able to come out of CFB Suffield? Here's what it says on their website:

SUBSISTENCE LICENSES
In general, trophies taken with a subsistence license/permit are acceptable for entry in the Awards Programs and listing in the Club’s records books so long as they meet all the Club’s entry requirements, including all aspects of fair chase.

Explain how Suffield resembles a farm at all?

You realize the elk are free to come and go as they please, no one puts feed out for them or milks them every morning.....

LC
Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 AM

A "farm" hunt might be a bit drastic but there is no question these animals are not truly wild. My opinion thats all, an informed one though.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
A "farm" hunt might be a bit drastic but there is no question these animals are not truly wild. My opinion thats all, an informed one though.
Please explain ....... looking forward to hearing this one !!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Could not disagree with you more, the only reason for the high success rate there is the shear volume of elk.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Lot of Alberta fair chase hunts are "Farm" hunts. Just depends on the height of the fence.

Grizz
Old 12-07-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Please explain ....... looking forward to hearing this one !!
Lone Wolf, have you spent much time out here, around these Elk? Please be honest. I have Sir and yes there are no high fences but to compare these animals to those in Northern Alberta or Saskatchewan that are not protected by a giant game preserve, well thats just silly. Then again I could be wrong, what would I know
Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Lone Wolf, have you spent much time out here, around these Elk? Please be honest. I have Sir and yes there are no high fences but to compare these animals to those in Northern Alberta or Saskatchewan that are not protected by a giant game preserve, well thats just silly. Then again I could be wrong, what would I know
Cacty, I don't think comparing animals from different parts of the province is really the point. The original question was would a bull harvested from the base qualify for b&c. I believe hunting with permission on the base it would be. Farmed animals are fed, watered, housed, high fenced etc. these elk are free to roam wherever they choose and have been wandering all over the se parts of AB.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
So by your logic any animals taken leaving Banff or Jasper national parks you would consider to be not wild or not fair chase ??
Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
So by your logic any animals taken leaving Banff or Jasper national parks you would consider to be not wild or not fair chase ??
Took the words right out of my mouth
Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 PM

You win guys, these are wily old Elk that have never seen a human,vehicle or DRILLING RIG within 30 yards of them or their calves. They are not habituated at all. You have proven me wrong guys, like I said what would I know, what with the limited time Ive spent around the animals out here. Very armoured retorts there fellas, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Take care.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
You win guys, these are wily old Elk that have never seen a human,vehicle or DRILLING RIG within 30 yards of them or their calves. They are not habituated at all. You have proven me wrong guys, like I said what would I know, what with the limited time Ive spent around the animals out here. Very armoured retorts there fellas, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Take care.
I think you mean they are acclimated to humans....I think the word "farm" is what folks are taking issue with.

LC
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
They sure have done a good job avoiding me so far, lol. Being used to the activities of us two leggers doesn't make them tame or ineligable for b&c fair chase. Out
Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DLT View Post
They sure have done a good job avoiding me so far, lol. Being used to the activities of us two leggers doesn't make them tame or ineligable for b&c fair chase. Out
Cool mang. Good luck nonetheless.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
So the same could be said for animals taken from areas with very little draws available
Old 12-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Banned

I have never hunted the base, but I would consider it fair chase. I think the sheer size of the base dictates this.

Elk and other game animals also stay in somewhat of a "home" area as well, it is part of their nature. I realize there are some that travel miles and miles but lots will live out their entire lives within a mile or two, even though there is nothing to prevent them from going right across the province if they decided to.

We see evidence of this constantly on here where hunters have trailcam pics of animals, sometimes over the span of a few years and then are successful in harvesting them.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 PM

What isn't fair chase of this? Were they not all in there because they new they were safe in there? You ever see big heards of elk group up on a open range ranch where no hunting is allowed? They are a very smart animal that goes for safe places. Now if there penned or fenced in, then that's not fair. Which isn't even hunting in mine and a lot of others eyes.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:30 PM

Might as well call the sheep at Cadomin domestic too. Lol
Old 12-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Just because they aren't nocturnal and surrounded by bush doesn't mean they aren't wild. They may not be half as wily as a bull elk in an area like wmu 402 or something but they can go and come as they please, they have safe places to run they just happen to have it good. As far as being acclimatized to people half the province has people around on a daily basis going about their work, drilling wells, plowing field, herding cows etc... should farmland animals not be considered fair chase too?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Might as well call the sheep at Cadomin domestic too. Lol
You beat me that comment Don.

It won't be long (if it isn't happening already) where the cows may still calve with spitting distance of an active OG or military crew, but stopping and stepping out of a pickup will send them running.

They learn what is not dangerous, and what it, very quickly. Think of all the coyotes you see at noon hunting mice along a highway; stop and open your door and they are high-tailing for the next county in a split second.

This is a silly conversation.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:10 PM

The reason I was wondering was because unlike Banff or Jasper or northern Alberta the elk at Suffield were introduced after they pulled the horses out of there. They weren't a herd that just migrated and settled or were there all along. They brought them there to maintain the range after the horses were removed, so to me I felt it was more of a "game farm" for lack of a better word. They had the fences higher and then the government told them to drop the top wire to allow them to spread easier. And since there is no real "season" because it is herd reduction targeting cows, how could it be a fair chase if someone went in and shot one bull when there isn't an eligible season for the sex and species type in that WMU AND the elk were introduced?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
The reason I was wondering was because unlike Banff or Jasper or northern Alberta the elk at Suffield were introduced after they pulled the horses out of there. They weren't a herd that just migrated and settled or were there all along. They brought them there to maintain the range after the horses were removed, so to me I felt it was more of a "game farm" for lack of a better word. They had the fences higher and then the government told them to drop the top wire to allow them to spread easier. And since there is no real "season" because it is herd reduction targeting cows, how could it be a fair chase if someone went in and shot one bull when there isn't an eligible season for the sex and species type in that WMU AND the elk were introduced?

You really confused the question with the irrelevant pre-amble and "game farm" talk that is full of inaccuracies.....

Is this what you are asking?....

"Would a bull Elk shot on Suffield by a Treaty card holder be eligible for B&C record book?"
Old 12-07-2013, 05:58 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ In response to post #28
Elk were more or less wiped out in the province at the turn of the last century except for a few small scattered populations.

I'm willing to say the vast majority of elk in the province came from reintroduced animals.

You are not really making a factual argument/statement in regards to reintroduced animals.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that called poaching ?