Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-31-2007, 02:31 PM

Default tsx loads

just wondering what you guys have cooke up for the following.

270 weatherby using 130 gr tsx
7mm stw using 140gr tsx

would appreciate powder type/ charge and other combos that you tried and do not work. just loaded up with goodies yesterday at P&D and gonna press some out soon. never loaded the stw yet and the old wthby used to use regular xbts.

any help is great

wthby
Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 PM

You probably already know but in case you don't - Barnes has a bunch of loads for both of these chamberings on their website under "technical". I've never loaded Barnes bullets but my 270 Weatherby likes IMR 4831.

Try this link.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/load-data/

Chet

Ooops - I lied - I did load a batch of the old X bullets and I hated them but it sounds like they have been improved a lot since then. Let us know how the TSX's work out for you.

Last edited by Chet; 05-31-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:30 PM
stubblejumper

My own 7mmstw rifles like imr 7828 with 140gr bullets.I have some 140gr mrx loaded,but I haven't gotten around to testing them yet.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthby View Post
just wondering what you guys have cooke up for the following.

270 weatherby using 130 gr tsx
7mm stw using 140gr tsx

would appreciate powder type/ charge and other combos that you tried and do not work. just loaded up with goodies yesterday at P&D and gonna press some out soon. never loaded the stw yet and the old wthby used to use regular xbts.

any help is great

wthby
Well with every firearm being unique unto its self, may I sugest you research the load development from reputable sources(manuals and the web) and work up loads that follow the recomandations posted by every reputable data source.
To think that there is an instant answer to reloading and accurate reloads is dead wrong, and by dead I'm not kidding.
Research, work up, and tweek. That's how it's done, betting Bubba's advice on such matters is very dangerous.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 AM

thanks, i am not looking for the quick fix, just some imput.

its not my first bbq when it comes to reloading. i have been at it for close to 7 years now. i was just hoping to narrow down the search. for instance my 270 wthby also like 4831 although he apparently is using a diffrent bullet.

of course i am going to work up the load well below max, just looking for some insight. i have looked at the web based data. this of course is preliminary just to get guys going. the info in the next edition in the manual later this year will of hold all the secrets, i for one cant wait.

wthby
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM

It did sound like a noobie type question sorry for the refrence to refrence material.
I just did a quick peruse of manuals, and Prairieboy(Stubblejumper) is pretty bang on with the 7828 suggestion, as could IMR4831, H4831, RL22, RL25, and H1000.
Afterall the expermenting is what is fun for me, once a load is found that shoots to your expectations, it's gets pretty perdicatble from there on.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Gone Hunting

I have best load with H1000 for 140 grain TSX. In my testing of different lots of 3 bullets with 81, 82, 83, 84 grains of this powder all 12 bullets were in 1.5" at 100 yards despite 3 grains difference. The fastest was 84 grain at 3450 ft/sec. Custom gun.
IMR 7828 was not good in my tests.
I have Sako 75 SS and does not shoot well with my best load for custom...I am back to developing....

Andrew
Old 06-01-2007, 01:03 PM

I just called Ty at Barnes the other day for some advice on 168 TSX loads for my .300 Ultra Mag; he gave me detailed, first hand results from his testing. He gave me two powder options/loads to work with, and is always a very informative, pleasant guy to talk to. You could likely save alot of time with one phone call.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Stubblejumper let me know how those MRX are working for you in 140 gr. I am developing load for 160 gr MRX for my Sako that I will share once done.
I think that they could be loaded with same powder weight as TSX due to similar surface contacting rifling....