Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2019, 08:39 PM

Default No square Burgers for us.

So apparently Wendy's guest internet will not allow hook up to "sport hunting" sites. Pretty loud and clear statement from them. No more Square burgers for us.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:00 PM

Yet they make their fortune killing animals by proxy and selling the meat.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:26 PM

Hypocrisy at its finest! Kinda like David Suzuki, now there is another hypocrite
Old 06-28-2019, 10:49 PM

They have the best fishburger. Well tied with Arbys maybe.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-28-2019, 11:22 PM
Banned

So just get your burgers at the drive thru and you won’t have that problem.

Oh, and if you insist on dining in.

Keep in mind Wifi where there is the possibility of children present is restricted.

Family restaurants
Hospitals
Schools

Just to name a few have blocked certain types of things that can be brought up on little screens.

Sorry, this was about you and, your little foot stomp.

Carry on.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
So just get your burgers at the drive thru and you won’t have that problem.

Oh, and if you insist on dining in.

Keep in mind Wifi where there is the possibility of children present is restricted.

Family restaurants
Hospitals
Schools

Just to name a few have blocked certain types of things that can be brought up on little screens.

Sorry, this was about you and, your little foot stomp.

Carry on.
Well I guess we could support PETA too, but that maybe a little hypocritical ? The OP issue is not the burgers, its the fact that he doesnt want to support a company that is anti hunters.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:07 AM

Which "sporting sites" were you trying to access? I would like to go to my local Wendy's and see if I can access those site to see if it is company wide or a franchise decision. Let me know and I will try to get there over the weekend.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Which "sporting sites" were you trying to access? I would like to go to my local Wendy's and see if I can access those site to see if it is company wide or a franchise decision. Let me know and I will try to get there over the weekend.
I wonder what outdoorsman/sporting site the OP visits....
Old 06-29-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Yet they make their fortune killing animals by proxy and selling the meat.

Well said and how do they not get that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 06-29-2019, 08:22 AM

When I’m in restaurants or such places and there is even a cue to sign in to use the WiFi I shut the feature off as I’m not about to sign in so that yet another entity can track me. I never approach my allotted data usage so I just use that.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Banned

The easiest way to have your passwords hacked is to use free Wi-Fi hotspots.

Browsing might not be to bad but don't ever sign in to email accounts or do any banking at those WiFi hotspots...
Old 06-29-2019, 08:52 AM

I suspect that move is not motivated by an anti-hunting stance and more by a blanket policy to block sites with images depicting a very broad definition of violence and/or firearm use.

Personally, I encourage my daughter to watch hunting shows with me and do not allow her to watch action movies at her age. I think there are many fundamental differences, but Wendy's policy is likely not making these distinctinctions.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:05 AM

Using anything but a Shaw or Telus direct owned WIFI hot spot is a GREAT way to get hacked. Even on their hor spots hacking is a possibility as you are transmitting in the open. Leaving your phone on data only, shut off WIFI outside the house is far safer and like Caber said, you are paying for the data, might as well use it. Also tends to be faster than most public WIFI.

As far as Wendy's, I try very hard to not support any place that is anti gun or anti hunting. Problem is the list is very long and you don't always know if they are or not. Be interested to hear if anyone gets an answer from Wendy's on their stance on hunting.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Well I guess we could support PETA too, but that maybe a little hypocritical ? The OP issue is not the burgers, its the fact that he doesnt want to support a company that is anti hunters.
Or one that is trying to protect children.

you see it your way, I'll see the logic and understand and not get my panties in a knot, because I can't look at a gun on my phone in a family friendly atmosphere.

But hey if you think this tramples your rights in any means, and that there isn't a larger picture than that, well I can't help you to see it.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I suspect that move is not motivated by an anti-hunting stance and more by a blanket policy to block sites with images depicting a very broad definition of violence and/or firearm use.

Personally, I encourage my daughter to watch hunting shows with me and do not allow her to watch action movies at her age. I think there are many fundamental differences, but Wendy's policy is likely not making these distinctinctions.
Hey now, where do you get off posting a reasonable, probable, and common sense explanation into what is obviously supposed to be a knee-jerk, off-the-cuff, chest thumping spaz-attack-reaction-rant thread. Jeeezz! lol
Old 06-29-2019, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
So apparently Wendy's guest internet will not allow hook up to "sport hunting" sites. Pretty loud and clear statement from them. No more Square burgers for us.
Here you go: How Internet Filters Work
from https://infopeople.org/content/how-i...t-filters-work

Filters operate on a system of categories. Websites, or sometimes individual web pages, are categorized by filter companies. The library's filter administrator utilizes the categories to build filter profiles. For example, the adult filter profile might allow all categories of content to pass through except items categorized as "sexually explicit." The children's filter profile would undoubtedly block the "sexually explicit" content as well as other categories deemed inappropriate for children such as "hate," "firearms," and "violence." The filter company decides how each site will be categorized.

Filter companies fiercely protect their process for categorizing websites and equally fiercely protect the websites identified within each category. Part of the value of the filter is in the number of websites categorized, because sites that have yet not been categorized will not necessarily be blocked. Ironically, librarians - professionals trained to catalog and evaluate content - subcontract their cataloging job to Internet filter companies when they install a filter. Unlike librarians, the subcontractors are not information professionals, they typically use automated methods to classify the 3 billion web pages on the Internet.

The features available in state-of-the-art filters are too numerous to recount here. For a thorough summary of filter features and to compare filters, feature-by-feature, visit libraryfiltering.org (link is external). However, certain features are particularly important for libraries, such as the ability to control what is blocked, how overriding blocked pages is handled, how granular the blocking is (page, site, domain, IP address), and what information is presented to the end users when a blocked page is encountered.

Most library filters leave the choice of what to block in the hands of the filter administrator who selects the categories to block. The filters that don't allow the administrator to set up filter profiles and the categories that will be blocked for each profile are generally not used in the library. Such products might be suitable for home use but are not appropriate in a library setting.

Most filters provide some mechanism for overriding blocked pages either on-the-fly using an administrator password, or by adding sites to an "always allow" list which supersedes the block on a page caused by its categorization. This override capability provides the local administrator the ability to fix errors the filter company has made in their classification process, or to modify the filter company's classification system to more closely match the library's policies.

Because most filters do not disclose the websites contained within each category, these adjustments to the filter categories must be made by the filter administrator as they are discovered. Some filters provide more granularity in their blocking behavior than others. For example, a small number of filters allow the administrator to block certain file types (such as GIF, JPG, BMP, TIFF) within a category. Such granularity enables the filter administrator to block images within a category without blocking the text on the page.

Other filters are more gross in their blocking behavior and block the entire page, or even the entire domain. Some filters convert the domain to an IP address and block any websites sharing that IP address. Blocking shared IP addresses (link is external) always results in over blocking.

Some filters rely solely on lists of URLs within categories. Other filters use a system of dynamic filtering. Dynamic filters analyze websites as they are accessed by the end-user and based on the analysis, categorize the page. As filters become more sophisticated, companies are using a dynamic filtering process to supplement their URL lists, if not replace them entirely.

When the end users encounter a blocked page, they are usually presented with a message advising them so. The default block page is often customizable and can be used to provide useful information to the patron about why the page has been blocked and what to do if they'd like the page unblocked. Filters that block pages without advising the patron that they've been blocked by the filter (link is external) should be avoided.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:18 PM

I don't give a rat's *** about PETA, hunters, gun owners or anti-gun nuts, I'm going for a double baconater right now