Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
If your black tank won't dump all the greeblies, fill it to the top with water at the sani dump, have someone hold the handle in flush mode and let 'er rip. All that goo will be pulled out but make sure the hose is well set in the hole or it may buck out on you.
I'll just leave this here.....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=333192
Old 06-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Oh, that was an epic thread!

Makes my experience on the maiden voyage of my 80's Prowler seem like a walk in the park.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
Been using normal house TP for all our camping and staying in the desert for 6 month's at a time, never a problem, going on 50 yrs of camping and mh travels. 50 miles of travel will stir up any septic tank's that I have owned. And I have my own sani pump.
X2
Old 06-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
X2
x3
Use plenty of water flushing.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator john View Post
We have five lists. Much of the stuff is overlap.
1) RV campsite with all amenities. Never leave black water valve open. All liquid will drain away leaving solids and toilet paper behind. Not pretty.

2) RV boonie camping list

3) RV boonie camping with ATV

4) RV boonie camping with ATV and hunting

5) RV boonie camping with ATV, hunting and fishing.

My wife and I have our duties when setting up or breaking down camp. She looks after inside and I look after everything outside.

Last on the list is do a final walk around. Make sure nothing is left behind and final vehicle walk around.
Be sure to check all lights and braking system.
I too have several list in my phone for different types of trips like this.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Get to a weigh scale after you load up as the trailer will never be that skinny again! I hate to see the number of people that go down the road with no clue what their combo weighs. "salesmen said my truck will pull it!!!" Dry stickers can be off and if a fifth wheel ( I know you asked about TT), they require payload not tow ratings!!!
Good luck.
We leave Calgary for California sunday. 3 week road trip!
YES, TOTALLY!! I have a list in my phone and I weigh each different configuration that I set up for ie. Quads in toyhauler and on truck, boat on truck and quads in toyhauler, no toys, dog on truck or not, fuel levels etc.
This way I know when I load up if I need to put weight at the front or back of the garage next time etc. I weigh the front axle, rear and trailer axles separately and sometimes I also disconnect and drop the trailer tongue on the scale if no one is around to hold up to see what my tongue weight is. The first time I did the tongue weight with my current 34' bumper pull toyhauler I was at 2,450 lbs on the tongue! (factory hitch is rated for 1,800lbs)There's not a truck with a factory hitch on the road rated to carry that yet they sell them off the lot. If I had a load of water on I would have been around 3,000lbs on the tongue due to where the tank is. So an aftermarket hitch and a third trailer axle later I'm down to around 1,450-1,800 lbs on the tongue. It's scary to think that I see these trailers on the road and people have absolutely NO CLUE about these weight overloads. I weighed mine on the way home from the dealership so I'd know and dealt with it immediately. I could tell the factory hitch was seriously flexing because I had a mud flap tube running 1/4" away behind the receiver tube and it had the imprint of the back end of the receiver tube in it from the flex and it hitting it.
Then you see these guys pulling these trailers that have about 16' of real trailer at the back and 10' of deck between the rv and the hitch for hauling quads etc. Can you imagine the tongue weight going on there with two 900lb quads on that deck??? holy crap!!! And connected to half tons most of the time! How can they sell those flippin things legally???
Every time I go to BC I stop at the scale on hi-way 16 by Edson and weigh my truck so that if/when I get pulled over in BC I can honestly tell the officer exactly what each axle has on it for weight and that I am all within spec.s of the trailer and truck with (polite)confidence and that I'm not just another clueless RV'er out there being a danger to everyone else on the road.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:00 AM

You are one of the few that know your weights. Good on you!
You can not mess around in BC as they even use mobile scales to check legality.

Air bags will fix everything!!!! NOT. I think there is a purpose for add ons but it does not fix if a truck is way over weight.

My toyhauler is 14,400 when we go without the toys and pushing 16000 when boys dirtbikes and quad are aboard. Weighed pin in 3100 -2800 depending on garage loading.

I tow with SRW and have a 2017 350. It is great and well within all limits. My 2012 was also but did not have the true exhaust braking of the 2015 and newer super duties and that was on my mind. Did not need nor want the duallie.

Get your weights so you know where you stand and go from there. Tow ratings can be dangerous and 80-90 percent of people ( and salesmen ) are oblivious to this.
Be safe out there!!!
Old 06-27-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
You are one of the few that know your weights. Good on you!
You can not mess around in BC as they even use mobile scales to check legality.

Air bags will fix everything!!!! NOT. I think there is a purpose for add ons but it does not fix if a truck is way over weight.

My toyhauler is 14,400 when we go without the toys and pushing 16000 when boys dirtbikes and quad are aboard. Weighed pin in 3100 -2800 depending on garage loading.

I tow with SRW and have a 2017 350. It is great and well within all limits. My 2012 was also but did not have the true exhaust braking of the 2015 and newer super duties and that was on my mind. Did not need nor want the duallie.

Get your weights so you know where you stand and go from there. Tow ratings can be dangerous and 80-90 percent of people ( and salesmen ) are oblivious to this.
Be safe out there!!!
Yes, totally. Just because the sticker says you can, doesn't mean you should necessarily. I'm usually in the 29,000 some pounds when loaded up as a total weight and the scary thing is, I've got 10,000lbs more towing capacity still yet going by the trucks ratings. That's nuts!
Old 06-27-2019, 03:28 PM

Be safe out there!!![/QUOTE]

When I bought my truck camper the dry weight was 1650 kg. I said to the salesman that I needed a 1 ton dually. He says no we put those on 3/4 tons!
That's over 3500 lbs. way too much for a 3/4 ton. Those f*&@ers will tell you anything to make a sale.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:15 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread.

How do you go about transporting 2x 10 ft kayaks on an rv or motorhome?

No roof rack. Was thinking of using nutserts and eywbolts for strapping it down. Of course sealing it with caulking/rubber washer to avoid leaks.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread.

How do you go about transporting 2x 10 ft kayaks on an rv or motorhome?

No roof rack. Was thinking of using nutserts and eywbolts for strapping it down. Of course sealing it with caulking/rubber washer to avoid leaks.
The WD and I have inflatable paddleboards, so it alleviates your problem above, but I've seen quite a few trailers that will stand the kayaks on their nose in a special (re: homemade) adapter that fits into a receiver hitch on the back of the unit. Then the kayaks ride vertically behind the RV unit, allowing the RV to block and deflect the wind. Depending on the length of the kayak, only the top 2-3 feet encounters wind. The kayaks are tied off at the top of the RV.

Google "RV kayak transport" and look at the images - you'll get the idea.

J.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Change tires after 5 years no matter what.

Do buy the best stabilizing hitch you can afford.
In addition to the tire change-out....proper tools to change a flat.....emergency gear:
-jack and proper wheel wrench
-warning triangles
-wear a bright flag-man vest. There is nothing more unnerving than changing a tire with your butt hanging out in the travel lane. Some highway's have narrow shoulders.

Be safe.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.