Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,383
Default Random posts thread

I figured I would create this thread for something not worse creating its own thread for. Many times I had something I felt like posting but never did because I thought it was not thread worthy. Pretty sure many of you have encountered the same because there is a whole bunch of threads floating out there that should not have been created in the first place. So let's post things like that here from now on, unless you fine gents get this thread locked up

Does anyone know whatever happened to Okotokian? I have not seen him posting for a while. Same question goes for Redfrog.

Also, why was gitrdun banned? Was it because of his post in "fried owl" thread?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:00 AM
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,888
Default

Where are the big 4" dragon flies hiding right now?..in the bark of trees..?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:12 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gods Country
Posts: 1,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Where are the big 4" dragon flies hiding right now?..in the bark of trees..?
They die every year but in their nymph state they can live up to 4 years depending on type in ponds rivers lakes etc, as in their adult phase they are one of the top predator insects second only to the water scorpion and probably equal to the hellgrammite, in water of course, in the air, them big blue darners reign supreme.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:18 AM
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
They die every year but in their nymph state they can live up to 4 years depending on type in ponds rivers lakes etc, as in their adult phase they are one of the top predator insects second only to the water scorpion and probably equal to the hellgrammite, in water of course, in the air, them big blue darners reign supreme.
What is perplexing to me is if they die every year, how is it possible that that in early june they are already 4" and flying about?..i study my dugout thouroughly each spring-summer day when on my daily dog walks & i
"have never" once seen a mature dragon fly crawl out of the water..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2018, 05:50 AM
^v^Tinda wolf^v^'s Avatar
^v^Tinda wolf^v^ ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Right here
Posts: 3,810
Default

Looking forward to todayís driving lessons even though Iíve been driving for 30 years it doesnít hurt to put some training wheels back on.
__________________
Re-engineered 😁 successful engineering is understanding how things break or fail.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2018, 06:06 AM
^v^Tinda wolf^v^'s Avatar
^v^Tinda wolf^v^ ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Right here
Posts: 3,810
Default

Todayís lesson, in order to stop for a red light you must apply the brake pedal with your foot and when you do that the motor vehicle will stop and the wheels will no longer turn. It may take a minute or two for the light to change green before you can apply the accelerator pedal in which case you put your foot on the pedal and slowly push it.
__________________
Re-engineered 😁 successful engineering is understanding how things break or fail.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2018, 06:41 AM
^v^Tinda wolf^v^'s Avatar
^v^Tinda wolf^v^ ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Right here
Posts: 3,810
Default

Every night before I go to bed I completely forget what happened that day so fortunately for you 😬 tomorrowís lesson will be the exact same as todayís lesson. I know, your excited right?
__________________
Re-engineered 😁 successful engineering is understanding how things break or fail.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gods Country
Posts: 1,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
What is perplexing to me is if they die every year, how is it possible that that in early june they are already 4" and flying about?..i study my dugout thouroughly each spring-summer day when on my daily dog walks & i
"have never" once seen a mature dragon fly crawl out of the water..
Well, thatís where they come from, is the water, they donít live in trees, they will crawl up a bull rush, rock, stick, etc. , protruding out the water, you will often see their empty nymph shell on these protruding objects, Iím sure there is the odd one (adult) that makes it through the winter. Iíve been observing their empty shells on the waters edge since I was a very young boy, and every year since then, mind you, I spend a lot of time fly fishing, have you actually observed the nymph in your dug out? I could take you to some ponds on my families land that are teaming with these. Try netting your dugout with a butterfly net, and see what you find!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,383
Default

Cool stuff about dragonflies.

So, no one knows what happened to Okotokian and Redfrog?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2018, 10:23 PM
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,888
Default

Thx wildbilll for that !!

If any AO'r's ever spot one of those 4" Beauties crawling
out of the water, Please 'pic it' while coming out of the water
and Upload it!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,383
Default

Not my photo, obviously, but here you go:



My good friend took a series of photos like this once while were camping. It's pretty cool stuff, really. If I remember correctly, the whole process took a couple of hours, at least.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gods Country
Posts: 1,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
thx wildbilll for that !!

If any ao'r's ever spot one of those 4" beauties crawling
out of the water, please 'pic it' while coming out of the water
and upload it!
10-4
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Parker Hale Parker Hale is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 399
Default Emerging dragon fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
What is perplexing to me is if they die every year, how is it possible that that in early june they are already 4" and flying about?..i study my dugout thouroughly each spring-summer day when on my daily dog walks & i
"have never" once seen a mature dragon fly crawl out of the water..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRU8L3bpEE
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2018, 10:54 PM
jstubbs jstubbs is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 1,340
Default

Camping: tent, trailer, or otherwise. What's everyone's pick? Been tenting, kind of want to get into a trailer, but not sure it would be worth the overall hassle of one. No kids or fam, just my buddies and I. Tenting has so many advantages but can't help but think a nice little trailer would be awesome for camping for periods longer than 3 days.
__________________
Looking to buy a used skid steer -- please PM me!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Joe Black Joe Black is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 969
Default

Wax on, wax off.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:20 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,383
Default

Tent for me, definitely. If I had no wife and kids, there is a pretty good chance I would live out of my tent as long as the temps are above -10C
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-11-2018, 12:19 AM
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,888
Default

According to my calculations, it's about 67 more days until the
1st croaks/sqawks of frogs&geese will be heard..love those sounds..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Passthru's Avatar
Passthru Passthru is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Camping: tent, trailer, or otherwise. What's everyone's pick? Been tenting, kind of want to get into a trailer, but not sure it would be worth the overall hassle of one. No kids or fam, just my buddies and I. Tenting has so many advantages but can't help but think a nice little trailer would be awesome for camping for periods longer than 3 days.
Get a decent tent trailer with a heater. Inexpensive and your off the ground. Also very light to tow and manoeuvre. Or a roof top tent, there's some pretty cool ones available and your not towing anything
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Habfan's Avatar
Habfan Habfan is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Cool stuff about dragonflies.

So, no one knows what happened to Okotokian and Redfrog?
Oko posted on the ď Peoplekind ď thread ! Redfrog is AWOL and Gitrdun told someone to STFU. But, so did Roofer, why isnít he banned ?

Last edited by Habfan; 02-11-2018 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Spulling
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Unregistered user Unregistered user is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,892
Default

Too bad about Gitrdun, didn't notice oko was taking a nap. Hmmm.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. Winston S. Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Newview01 Newview01 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5,379
Default

.

Nvm
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 AM
omega50's Avatar
omega50 omega50 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary SW
Posts: 7,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Oko posted on the ď Peoplekind ď thread ! Redfrog is AWOL and Gitrdun told someone to STFU. But, so did Roofer, why isnít he banned ?
Chatted with Redfrog a few months back- was recovering from some surgery , but still spunky.

Dipping his wick and making candles
__________________
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask them where they're going and catch up with them later." - Mitch Hedberg
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Ken07AOVette's Avatar
Ken07AOVette Ken07AOVette is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 19,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Camping: tent, trailer, or otherwise. What's everyone's pick? Been tenting, kind of want to get into a trailer, but not sure it would be worth the overall hassle of one. No kids or fam, just my buddies and I. Tenting has so many advantages but can't help but think a nice little trailer would be awesome for camping for periods longer than 3 days.
I have had everything from a rollup tent to a 38' 5th wheel.

Tents leak, campers have to be pulled and parked, and fixed, and repaired, and money spent on them, then bearings done, then try to get the mice out, then spend money on them, and then depreciate like a dodge truck seeing rain the first time. Oh a drop of water, half!

All kidding aside, a nice little 5th wheel can be had for quite cheap now, I have a 26' that will be for sale in the spring that is half ton towable. They offer the best room, are easiest to tow and maneuver, (or is that peopleuver, thanks Trudope) and you can put a boat behind them.

NOTHING beats sleeping on the boat, on the ocean other than a nice hotel room or your own bed. They all get tiresome if you have to use them a lot. Go out and check out a bunch, get all the specs and make sure every single thing works before you buy.
__________________
Only dead fish go with the flow. The rest use their brains in life. (author unknown)


Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Norwest Alta Norwest Alta is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,671
Default Things I've learned this week

Newfie truck drivers in vulva automatic trucks shouldn't be allowed to haul frack sand in the foothills.

Any automatic vulva truck is junk.

Cws frack trucks are junk and underpowered. Perhaps take the traction control and govereners and throw them in the bush.

Censorship sucks. What is free speech if you can't speak freely.

There is good mods and some not so good mods.

Lots of people type stuff without possibly thinking clearly.

I miss rugatikka

Lots of funny jokes and people on ao

What it takes to set a precedence

Boycotting isn't much fun if you're the only one boycotting. Lol

I've got a good guy to converse with in relation to recent verdict that is helping me see both sides of the picture. For this thank you Ron

Don't put a sanding disc on a router. Very important safety bulletin.

I'm sure there is more to add but I've learned I can't remember everything I've learned.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Geraldsh Geraldsh is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 74
Default Talk about Dragonflies;

A couple summers ago I was up at the acreage putting along on my little tractor when a yellow jacket landed on my T-shirt sleeve. A the same moment a big blue dragonfly landed on it. I had instinctively grabbed my sleeve and held it off my arm which brought the drama even closer to my face.
The yellow jacket was squirming and stinging the sleeve to no avail. That dragonfly bit down hard several times - I could hear it even over the tractor noise - and chewed the yellow abdomen right off that poor bugger. Dragonfly flew off with his prize and the hornet tried to fly but he was head-heavy and nose dived into the ground.
Nature at its finest.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Fish along's Avatar
Fish along Fish along is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Camrose county
Posts: 2,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Newfie truck drivers in vulva automatic trucks shouldn't be allowed to haul frack sand in the foothills.

Any automatic vulva truck is junk.

Cws frack trucks are junk and underpowered. Perhaps take the traction control and govereners and throw them in the bush.

Censorship sucks. What is free speech if you can't speak freely.

There is good mods and some not so good mods.

Lots of people type stuff without possibly thinking clearly.

I miss rugatikka

Lots of funny jokes and people on ao

What it takes to set a precedence

Boycotting isn't much fun if you're the only one boycotting. Lol

I've got a good guy to converse with in relation to recent verdict that is helping me see both sides of the picture. For this thank you Ron

Don't put a sanding disc on a router. Very important safety bulletin.

I'm sure there is more to add but I've learned I can't remember everything I've learned.
Lol don't put your skill saw blade on your weed wacker ,unless you're trimming the wife's flower garden....also haven't seen much of Silver doctor.
__________________
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Norwest Alta Norwest Alta is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Lol don't put your skill saw blade on your weed wacker ,unless you're trimming the wife's flower garden....also haven't seen much of Silver doctor.
Oh it works but be careful. Lol. The arbor size is different so you got to be very careful but I think they work better then the saw blades that come with them. Just more dangerous.

How's the table leg inventory? Table must be floor level now or you quit smoking pipes.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Fish along's Avatar
Fish along Fish along is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Camrose county
Posts: 2,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
A couple summers ago I was up at the acreage putting along on my little tractor when a yellow jacket landed on my T-shirt sleeve. A the same moment a big blue dragonfly landed on it. I had instinctively grabbed my sleeve and held it off my arm which brought the drama even closer to my face.
The yellow jacket was squirming and stinging the sleeve to no avail. That dragonfly bit down hard several times - I could hear it even over the tractor noise - and chewed the yellow abdomen right off that poor bugger. Dragonfly flew off with his prize and the hornet tried to fly but he was head-heavy and nose dived into the ground.
Nature at its finest.
Cool,that would great to see,and here i thought the yellow jackets were the insect rulers
__________________
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-11-2018, 01:06 PM
ETOWNCANUCK's Avatar
ETOWNCANUCK ETOWNCANUCK is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 3,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Camping: tent, trailer, or otherwise. What's everyone's pick? Been tenting, kind of want to get into a trailer, but not sure it would be worth the overall hassle of one. No kids or fam, just my buddies and I. Tenting has so many advantages but can't help but think a nice little trailer would be awesome for camping for periods longer than 3 days.
I will be camping out of my truck bed and canopy this year.

There are all kinds of videos on YouTube on how to do this.

My god " Vanlife" is an actual thing.

Search truck camping or other along those lines.
__________________
Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Reddin Reddin is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
and Gitrdun told someone to STFU. But, so did Roofer, why isnít he banned ?
What are you 8 years old?
__________________
ďSometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.Ē ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.