Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Default Light weight hip waders

My hunting partner and I are looking for a light weight set of hip waders for a mountain goat hunt in bc in October. Can any give me some suggestions on a decent quality pair. We have found plenty, however the quality and weight just do not work for us.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:47 PM

I have used the plain jane Canadian tire ones with decent success. I use them for shed hunting moose swamps in the spring and can attest to there durability for walking through thick brush, and they certainly don't come any lighter. When it comes to stuff like that they can either be super light or super durable never both.

Just my two cents.

Ryan
Old 07-04-2014, 03:54 PM

Default waders

Wiggys Waders are what you are after..light and you wear over your boots for crossing creeks
Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheep Reaper View Post
Wiggys Waders are what you are after..light and you wear over your boots for crossing creeks
I'm picking up a pair of these this summer. From what I've read of others experiences they are great for there intended purpose, just don't wear them for anything else. At 9 oz. a pair they are not that durable.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 PM

Will these wiggy waders last a 10 days trip walking up creek drainage's. They certainly look interesting.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 PM

I would buy them a size smaller then the sizing chart ...
It makes them harder put on and take off but it gets rid of the slop around the boot, so your stepping on the sole not the fabric ....
Also I spray them will silicone from a can...
This will make them last a lot longer

I got 14 days on a pair, and going to spray them again for a 2 week trip this yr.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:06 PM

I like gator waders, but I use them for quadding not hunting. Not to sure on the weight.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Banned

Neos overshoes are others that you wear over your boots. I have used them and they were excellent
Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 AM

I looked at a lot of options for my sheep hunt and ended up buying Wiggy's. Ultra lightweight, and unless you use them constantly, I think they'll stand up well. Another option that some recommend is to just take a pair of lightweight crocs, and roll up your pants....but I like the Wiggy's idea better. I never could figure out if gaitors would seal well enough to cross creeks? I don't use them but some say they will seal water out of boots crossing creeks...but I can't see how.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother1 View Post
I looked at a lot of options for my sheep hunt and ended up buying Wiggy's. Ultra lightweight, and unless you use them constantly, I think they'll stand up well. Another option that some recommend is to just take a pair of lightweight crocs, and roll up your pants....but I like the Wiggy's idea better. I never could figure out if gaitors would seal well enough to cross creeks? I don't use them but some say they will seal water out of boots crossing creeks...but I can't see how.
I have some sitka gaiters and have got wet feet with them in the past. Though last year after downing a bull moose a few kms up a drainage from any road with only an hour of light left. By the time I had it deboned and a load in my pack I was already pretty tired. The last 600m before the truck is a large river crossing. As I was so tired and didn't really care I just trekked across the river with my full gear on and raingear. Somehow didn't even get a bit of water anywhere. About thigh deep. I was surprised to say the least.

So I'm sure it's possible but I wouldn't rely on it.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:42 PM

although im not a real fan of climbing mountains...in the past I have used helly hanson bib overalls duct taped at the ankle that might work for the occasional dip, they roll up to the size of a extra large timmys coffee cup.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
Will these wiggy waders last a 10 days trip walking up creek drainage's. They certainly look interesting.
Ken, I've been using these for about 10 yrs and am on my 2nd set. If this is the intended use, you are going to trash them before lunch.

They are great for crossing streams but not for extended walking. I put set of felt liners in the bottom as well so I don't poke a hole in them on a rock.

They are a great piece of kit but if you are looking for extended use I would look at something else because these will not hold up to a trek up a creek.

That all said, they are by far the lightest and most packable "stream/river crossers" I've ever found and they have earned a spot in my pack.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:36 PM

Default Crocs and garbage bags

I have decided to go with contractor grade garbage bags over the legs and hooked to belt loops inside of a pair of Crocs. At least both of these items have dual purposes while at camp and you don’t have to strip right down. Just pull the boots off.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Neos overshoes are others that you wear over your boots. I have used them and they were excellent
This is what I used guiding and still currently use. They are durable