Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Will the Gun Registration Be Repealled?
Conservatives will repeal the gun registry 133 53.63%
Conservatives will not repeal the gun registry 115 46.37%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Will the Gun Registration B

Default Will the Gun Registration Be Repealled?

Well now we got a Federal election and it is possible that we may get a minority Conservative government. How many think the Conservatives would repeal the gun laws as they have said in the past elections?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Brady

I doubt they have the cojones to do it, unless they get a majority, but that won't happen.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:18 PM
aka bushmaster

I've got my fingers and toes crossed.....but deep down I don't believe it'll happen...irregardless of what govt. we get.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:25 AM
registry

Default registry

Harper said himself that he wants to get rid of the LONG GUN registry, not all of the gun registry, so it will be interesting to see what they do with ar type rifles and such, probably nothing, just abolish the non-registered category, but hey, thats good enough for me.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:54 AM
doug0461

Default Re: registry

I hope they remove the sporting firearm registery. I was a cash eating deal anyways. They could put the money towards some good like the national daycare they are always talking about. I would not complain a bit about that investment.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Jamie Hunt

Sorry guys, unless they get a majority Gov, they will not beable to do a anything with this issue. If they did, it would be suicide.
Remember to vote. We need them in power.
Jamie

PS. someone give those guys in Edmonton a kick in the pants. I cant stand seeing that they seem to try and elect liberals up there.. Its bad for the image. And your not helping yourself.
LOL
Old 12-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Pappy in AB

Like Brady and Jamie are saying. If the conservatives form a minority gov't, they will not repeal the registry. A vote of non-confidence would surely follow any attempt to repeal it, 'cause the Bloc and the NDP and the Libs all want the registry. The registry will be forever with us, until such a time that the Conservatives form a majority gov't.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Ken aka Savage

Sad to say Pappy but I have no doubt that you are 100% correct.

--Ken>:
Old 12-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Ontarget

My take is that even with a majority gov't, the Conservatives won't repeal the registry.

I would bet that they do some significant revisions (perhaps cancelling the long gun registry?) and most certainly reduce the costs. How many $$Billion has it cost us now???
Old 12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
smokestick

All we can do is hope guys for something
Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
osterb

the liberals will now apparently but they're also banning handguns.

OTTAWA (CP) - The Canadian Press has learned that Prime Minister Paul Martin will venture into violence-plagued Toronto on Thursday to announce a sweeping ban on handguns.

Martin is scheduled to visit Toronto's troubled Jane-Finch area to make a "safer communities announcement." Liberal sources have confirmed the announcement includes a ban on handguns.

Handguns are already severely restricted in Canada and a handgun registry has been in force for more than 60 years.

Gunfire was responsible for the deaths of 50 of the 74 murders so far this year in the city.

The rash of shootings prompted city police to launch a gun amnesty program in November, during which they collected 261 guns and more than 1,500 rounds of ammunition.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 PM
moosechef

Yup, gotta agree with every one else. There is no way they will ever repeal this law without a majority.
It amazes me that the folks out east can't see past the smoke and mirrors the liberal government's of the past decade or two have sent up our arses........(sorry small vent).
And on the above note about the hand gun's that were handed over in the amnesty offered.......I wonder how many of the guy's who have been doing the shooting were in line to turn in their weapon's.......NOT !
Old 12-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Gun Registration

Default Gun Registration

If Harper does not remove the gun registration. The at the next Provincial Election. Vote for seperation and lets make our own country.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:32 PM
59whiskers

Default Re: Gun Registration

Not a chance. We need to keep proving how useless this registry is in not stopping crime and the cost benefits. Ontario and Quebec will keep the registry alive and well.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:36 PM
osterb

Default dunno

I think we might see an end if the cons won a majority but a minority is questionable.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:58 AM
grandslamer1

Default Re: dunno

even with the minorty the conservative have plae to get rid or the registrey 1 starve it by cutting all funding

2 change the wording i bill c-68 and classify all fire arms as antiques

3 win a majority an throw it out right
Old 05-29-2006, 03:09 PM
GoonBag

The gun registration will remain, however, the long gun registration will be gone. I'm even willing to take bets on it.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Tucumseh

Hey Goon,
I agree with you here. Even a minority government can stave it to death if nothing else.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:32 AM
osterb

course it will.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Wont Happen

Default Wont Happen

Quote:
Well now we got a Federal election and it is possible that we may get a minority Conservative government. How many think the Conservatives would repeal the gun laws as they have said in the past elections?
No it wont.l:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Old 09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Craftyhunter

Default Re: Wont Happen

I'm still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:23 PM
GoonBag

Default We're All Still Waiting

Quote:
I'm still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In June of this year the Cons tabled a bill to abolish the long gun registry. Parliament isn't even in session until this fall so unfortunately we're all going to have to wait until at least then to see if anything further is done with this bill. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Re: Wont Happen

I jest sent another letter to my MP and the PM I spent alot of time on this one i made sure its intelligent sounding and i used the its discrimination against gun owners tact.:lol we will see what they have to say. They say they want to get rid of it so if we keep the pressure on who knows?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:52 PM
gun registration

Default gun registration

It will never happen;...the conservatives would lose too many female voters, especially in the cities of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver ..voters there seem to be convinced that without gun registration there is no gun control, and they are " scared ". The Liebrals were very effective with the message of " gun control "
Old 11-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Rifle14

Default Re: gun registration

The Conservatives are afraid to bring it to a vote for fear of losing, causing an election. However, unless they kill the registry some other way or bring it to a vote by Christmas, like they promised to do (yes, promised it would happen by this this fall), my vote goes elsewhere next time around. Although where else is a mystery, since the Liberals are corrupt, the crazy NDP want to ban all semi-automatic rifles (yes that statement is on videotape, i have it off of an election interview), and half of the Green party are anti-hunting. Perhaps I should vote for the Alberta Separatist Party?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Xciton

Default Re: gun registration

> However, unless they kill the registry some other way or bring
> it to a vote by Christmas, like they promised to do (yes, promised it
> would happen by this this fall), my vote goes elsewhere next time
> around.

I'd rather the Conservatives carefully craft an appropriate time to bring down the vote. If it's done right now, right after the Dec 6th Polytechnique anniversary just to keep an election promise, it would be suicide to the party.

Perhaps if the Dawson shooting didn't happen the country would be in a different mindset about gun control. But it did happen and all the Liberials have to do is bring it up and all the Ontario "soccer moms" will run away and hide in their houses .... and then vote for the Liberals. (no offense intended to the hunting "soccer moms" reading this )

I'd also suggest that we have a little more time for Mr. Dion to screw up a bit first (it's already starting) and show the country what he is really made of. He has a temper and his command of the English language is poor. I believe Harper/Day need to wait and have the rights ducks lined up before pulling the vote.

> Perhaps I should vote for the Alberta Separatist Party?

I know your kinda joking, but you would be wasting your vote on that at this time. We need votes for the Conservatives more than ever now. They may have screwed up a few things, but they have done far better to this country so far than any other party.

The Conservatives are a breath of fresh air (for the moment). They are one of our last hopes to bring this country out of the bog that the Liberials put us in.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Rifle14

Instead of getting rid of the gun registry as promised, the Conservatives are going to try to bring in Bill C21, which i written by bureaucrats the Liberals hired, who want to keep their government jobs in the firearms registry process. Look up what Dave Tomlinson(sp?) has to say about the bill, and how its redundant and actually changes very little. I realize the alternatives aren't great, but it's pretty awful when I don't even want to vote for the best of the evils.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Okotokian

Uh.... no. Politicians take action to get votes. Everyone in favour of abolishing the registry already votes conservative. What will they get if they actually propose abolishment? just the loss of anti support. On the other hand, if they DON'T cut all the restrictions on firearms, who are YOU going to vote for. The NDP?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Xciton

Default Firearms Amnesty

PLEASE email or write your comments on the governments amnesty proposal. We have until April 21st to provide this feedback.

www.publicsafety.gc.ca/me...411-en.asp

This is not a done deal yet folks, they need to hear our feedback and support of the amnesty.

email: Amnesty-amnistie@cfc-cafc.gc.ca

Mail:
Legal Services - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Canada Firearms Center
10th Floor, 50 O'Connor Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1M6

Phone: 1 800 731-4000, ext 7799.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
edmoilers99

Any updates as to when this registries crap gonna be over with?