Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 PM
tpawlick

Default Copy of registered guns sent to media

Apperently somebody whom works at the register's office sent a copy of all registered guns in Canada to the media the other day,They downloaded the info and copied to disc. info sent was registered gun owners last two characters from the postal code, type of gun.... Well atleast no names attacted but if this fell into the wrong hands it would be pretty easy to figure out where the guns are..I guess the point they were getting at was how easy it was to do.. NICE REAL NICE.. Good thing we are paying billions of dollars for this kinda crap.. I'm sure most of you guys have heard this already but I thought I would give a little head up anyway...

tpawlick
Old 03-01-2007, 09:29 PM
geezer55

Decided to see what I could find out . . . finding the web site was no problem. Then decided to check on firearms that there wouldn't be many of such as submachine gun and machine gun (converted to auto). In our postal code there are 13 submachine guns, museum 1, public agency 4, business 1 and individuals 7. Machine guns (converted to auto) there are 17 all owned by individuals. What is scary is that I now know where to find at least 6 of the 30 firearms, 1 at the museum, 4 at the police station, either city police or RCMP, and 1 at a local firearms dealers business. This could sure help out the bad guys if they are looking for a certain kind of firearm.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
Decided to see what I could find out . . . finding the web site was no problem. Then decided to check on firearms that there wouldn't be many of such as submachine gun and machine gun (converted to auto). In our postal code there are 13 submachine guns, museum 1, public agency 4, business 1 and individuals 7. Machine guns (converted to auto) there are 17 all owned by individuals. What is scary is that I now know where to find at least 6 of the 30 firearms, 1 at the museum, 4 at the police station, either city police or RCMP, and 1 at a local firearms dealers business. This could sure help out the bad guys if they are looking for a certain kind of firearm.
yeah, now try to find out where the convicted sex offender they released into your town lives... NOOOOOOO that is confidential! Must protect his rights!!!!!!! BS! But where law-abiding registered firearms owners are? hey, no problem.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:07 PM

This is very old news.(Early Spring 2007)
The information was realeased through a access to information request. The paper was the Ottawa Citizen.
They originally wanted the first 3 digits of your postal code, they however allowed only the first 2 digits.
It only lists make, model, and caliber, not your name unless you manufacture your own arms.
If you live in a reasonably populated area the risk of it becoming a shopping list is small.
The real risk as I see it is for the home invasion artists they can check a area of high urban population and determine which are easliy gun free zones, therefore less chance of someone getting a drop on them.
I wrote everyone including the Privacy comisionare, the Privacy Comish said it did'nt leak any personal info, it's not being persuied.
Interesingly enough Stockwell Day never ever got back to me.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The real risk as I see it is for the home invasion artists they can check a area of high urban population and determine which are easliy gun free zones, therefore less chance of someone getting a drop on them.
Guess they could, but I don't think most B&E artists are such Einsteins. if you look at the crime map of calgary you see the highest breakins are often in the poorest areas, where they are likely to get the least. Those guys are too lazy to travel LOL