Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
renewing P

Default renewing PAL

When I got my PAL originaly I only got the non restricted one even tho the course covered the restricted part at the time I dident see my self wanting a hand gun. But now I have to renew my PAL and would like to add the restricted part to it is that possible? they have all the papper work from the course
Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
WCTHEMI

I don't see why not.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:39 AM
RyanGSP

I beleive there is a seperate course for the restriced so as long as you have taken that you will be fine.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:19 PM
geezer55

I think you have to write a separate test to get your restricted licence, at an additional cost . . . if you wrote the two test then you will be able to get your PAL for both restricted and non-restricted firearms. You should have a copy that was given to you when you passed the course. They give you two . . . one for your records and one to be sent in when applying for you PAL.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
smurph22

Having an FAC back in the 90's and then trading it in for a POL and now just finished taking the course from AHEIA for my Non-restricted PAL, I can tell you that there are two distinct courses. As the POL isn't offered any longer, the PAL is the only way to go. The basic course is the Non-Restricted and you need that in order to take the Restricted. You're given your Canadian Firearms Safety Course Report and you send in a photocopy of it with your application or renewal form. If you wish the Restricted, wait until you receive the same report for that course and send them in together. AHEIA seems to be the least expensive course out there. Most were around $100 or more. On the AHEIA website they say that the course is free with a donation to their group - though when I took the course it's actually a minimum $65 donation. Anyway.. still cheaper than the others though. The non-rest course was three evenings on the South side. The Restricted is two evenings.

Hope that helps.

Forms etc. are available at
www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online...ault_e.asp