Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2024, 08:39 AM

Default Do we have enough jails?

With the growing population we have found that we need more; hospitals, schools, houses and jails?

In the old days (100 years ago) communities wanted jails, and they went to the ridings held by important Federal MPs. They provided good government jobs and went on forever. Kingston has 3 of them, it was Sir John A's riding.

I hear lots of complaining about crime, bail conditions, and short sentences but no one seems to want to start building more jails.

So here are my questions; do they do any good, do longer sentences make sense, how dangerous are the criminals?

During WW1 Canada had a number of POW camps in North Ontario and I think Banff, the cold weather and mosquitos eliminated escapes and the boys did work in the bush. I hear that some came back after the war, got married and raised families.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
With the growing population we have found that we need more; hospitals, schools, houses and jails?

In the old days (100 years ago) communities wanted jails, and they went to the ridings held by important Federal MPs. They provided good government jobs and went on forever. Kingston has 3 of them, it was Sir John A's riding.

I hear lots of complaining about crime, bail conditions, and short sentences but no one seems to want to start building more jails.

So here are my questions; do they do any good, do longer sentences make sense, how dangerous are the criminals?

During WW1 Canada had a number of POW camps in North Ontario and I think Banff, the cold weather and mosquitos eliminated escapes and the boys did work in the bush. I hear that some came back after the war, got married and raised families.
Call an expert in the field and ask
Old 04-21-2024, 09:08 AM

There's a solution to helping the "housing shortage"
Build more jails, and fill them up.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
There's a solution to helping the "housing shortage"
Build more jails, and fill them up.
Affordable, multi-family, high density, everything the Liberals desire!
Old 04-21-2024, 09:36 AM

So just what do you think a Jail is really meant for?

S. 718.1 Criminal Code: A sentence must be proportionate to the gravity of the offence and the degree of responsibility of the offender.

NOW THE REAL USES OF JAIL. Some Addicts simply need a period of Jail to dry them out. It can take months to break the craving for Meth, Crack Cocaine, etc. Only then can you talk to the person and receive a clear headed, honest answer. Doing Duty Counsel back in the early 1990's when Crack was everywhere, a pasty white and sweating Accused would come out of Custody, shaking like a jack hammer. Many many of the old Judges would put their matter over for a month before speaking to Bail to force a dry out.

There are Chateau Remand people who like three meals, clean sheets, and a warm bed. They regularly turn themselves in on warrants that pile up through the summer in late October, and do not want anything done until April - May. It is better than freezing to death as a homeless person in a tent in the river valley.

There are the people who are truly violent personalities. Consequences mean nothing, and it is only a matter of time before an innocent person gets robbed, beaten, raped, or killed. Consequences mean nothing, and Jail is needed to protect the rest of us.

I have dealt with cases where people served their sentence or made Bail, travelled a couple blocks on foot from Jail, and started breaking into cars and houses. They just don't care. Property Crime is their lifestyle and usually to fuel a drug habit. Jail is the only way to keep the rest of us safe.

Then there are the mentally ill who are not deemed "not criminally responsible" (insane). They go through life in and out of Jail because they are not a threat to themselves or others warranting a mental health committal.

Edmonton Remand and all other Remands are often at over capacity and empty beds at the Fort Sask Jail, Young Offender Center, etc are used to house inmates and people in custody.

Then there are the organized crime people trading drugs to the people stealing cars and trucks which are then put in shipping containers and sold off shore. Jail is a cost of doing business, and the only hope of taking a member off the streets. Another gang member will simply take their place, while Mr. Big is in Jail, but at least it hurts the gang financially when property is seized. Usually the gang member has so many contacts in Jail that it makes no difference to their business and it is understood to be a cost of doing business.

Sure we need more Jails.

Just understand that housing an Inmate costs $100,000 for a year. Perhaps we need "different Jails" where we can be safe from the Criminals, and the Inmates can work on projects to pay some of their own way, learn job skills, and get the treatment they need to address their mental health / addictions problems.

But to think Jail is a deterrence to someone who has been awake for 3 days dealing meth and doing property crime, you're dreaming.

Drewski
Old 04-21-2024, 09:42 AM

Jails aren't what they used to be, over time the prisoners rights afford them treatment akin to being a valued tourist. I'm pretty sure a good old fashion paddling or whipping would cut back on them continuing with a life of crime.

Build jails in places where they would be less expensive to run, so not in Toronto/Montreal or Vancouver. Best would be in India or China, the operating expenses would be far lower. Just outsource the jails like everything else.

Experts will tell you it costs more to apply the death penalty than it does to house/feed a prisoner for life. With experts like that they will be selling us beach front property in Saskatoon in no time. Just look how they applied the death penalty to that Romanian dictator, found guilty, walked outside and shot dead. Now tell me again how it's cheaper to keep them in jail for life?
Makes me doubt anything a so called expert says.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Experts will tell you it costs more to apply the death penalty than it does to house/feed a prisoner for life. With experts like that they will be selling us beach front property in Saskatoon in no time. Just look how they applied the death penalty to that Romanian dictator, found guilty, walked outside and shot dead. Now tell me again how it's cheaper to keep them in jail for life?
Makes me doubt anything a so called expert says.
In a word, no we don't have enough jails if you want to incarcerate all the politicians and other "officials" who break any and all laws at their convenience.

One thing to be said about capital punishment is - no repeat offenders.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-21-2024, 10:09 AM

They better start doing something soon before people start taking the law into their own hands and lowlifes start to go missing. Most of this crap only goes on because officials, government and all the doo gooder societies allow, enable and encourage this behavior..
Old 04-21-2024, 10:10 AM

Maybe we just need to change the jails from Club Fed to an actual deterent ?Get back to basics with less comforts, and put the prisoners to work, to pay for their keep.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:11 AM
AO Sponsor

Jails? nahhhh.... Gallows? yes.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-21-2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

We don’t need more jails. We need to get back to putting a gallows in every town square……
Old 04-21-2024, 10:30 AM

More jails for everyone , period

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-21-2024, 11:14 AM

Jails? Here? At the cost of $47,000 per prisoner per year? Hell no! Ship them to mother Russia, gulag is still there! They can shovel the snow in Siberia!
Old 04-21-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Jails? Here? At the cost of $47,000 per prisoner per year? Hell no! Ship them to mother Russia, gulag is still there! They can shovel the snow in Siberia!
Not sure where you got that number from, but
In 2019-20, the annual average cost of keeping a male incarcerated was $121,352 per year, whereas the annual average cost for incarcerating a female was $222,942.
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/r.../index-en.aspx

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I imagine that there are lots of countries would take them, free labor, why not. Even if we have to pay a few bucks a day, still win win, just costs us an airline ticket.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-21-2024, 11:32 AM

females always cost us more
Old 04-21-2024, 11:48 AM

While we need more jails, I think we also need an aggressive program to send criminals who ‘ain’t from these parts’ back to their nations of origin. Folks who want to move here & work & be positive members of society are great, we just need to weed out & return the ones that have proven to be awful, none of this “But they’ve had bad circumstance” sympathizing nonsense. Habitual predators stick to what they’re used to.

Gallows for anyone dealing meth or fentanyl, that crap will destroy society.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Like.
And crooked, treasonous politicians aren't exempt.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:31 PM

Default Nope. No where near enough.

Build them fast

Attach them to treatment facilities.

Assign release based on completed recovery where applicable.

Stop giving consecutive sentences. None of this two ( or three or four ) for one We don’t get next month’s power free because we paid this month’s bill.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:31 PM

The short answer, NO! Don't have enough gallows either!!
Old 04-21-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Build them fast

Attach them to treatment facilities.

Assign release based on completed recovery where applicable.

Stop giving consecutive sentences. None of this two ( or three or four ) for one We don’t get next month’s power free because we paid this month’s bill.

stop giving CONCURRENT sentences
Old 04-21-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
stop giving CONCURRENT sentences
And proper punctuation!
Old 04-21-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
In a word, no we don't have enough jails if you want to incarcerate all the politicians and other "officials" who break any and all laws at their convenience.

One thing to be said about capital punishment is - no repeat offenders.
Exactly! Would sure elimate alot of crime simply out of fear, but god forbid anyone fear commiting a crime due to the penalty. Not in this woke world!!
Old 04-21-2024, 02:39 PM

Its not as simple as building jails and locking up as punishment.
If you can't rehabilitate what is point of locking up in violent gulag where they become more crazy,join gangs and do God knows what and then at some point send them back on streets where basically all they are capable of being is as criminal again.
I dont have a quick fix. Some of them (drug dealers)you might as well hang. A lot of them I would try to get out of Canada. Drugs is most of the problem so I dont want to be mean but what can you do with these zombies?
French foreign legion?
A mandatory national opioid test and anyone who fails goes into mandatory drug treatment or export to a rehabilitation center in south America and make it impossible to come back?
Old 04-21-2024, 03:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Rope

Cheap and makes financial room
For what matters like healthcare etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-21-2024, 04:15 PM

Default Thanks for the info...

Going back in the English legal system. It started that death was the sentence for all crime, no thought of rehabilitation. After a while, they tried "transportation" that's how Australia got its first population and then we got jails which were supposed to rehabilitate criminals.

I hear from our experts that they don't work, BTW our expertise for the forensic mentally ill is not very good either.

So going forward, what should be the plan? We have heard capital punishment for all crimes the people supporting the idea aren't accused of. Work camps have also got some supporters.

Sending them back where they came from, this was a popular idea after the first Irish immigration around 1900.

The Muslims cut the hands off of thieves, usually children I'm told to discourage the behaviour.

It seems to me that after thousands of years of "Thou shall not steal", "Thou shall not kill" we haven't got very far.

Attempt's to make crime less profitable, has there been any success there?

I hate to think that capital punishment is the best that we can do to fight crime. It didn't work either, and killed some innocent people.

I appreciate the answers from those who work in the field.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:21 PM

Those bums and druggies live a dozen in a shack now, bunk beds, 4 per cell, stack them up like cord wood, if the kill each other oh well less expense to the tax payer.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:24 PM

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Those bums and druggies live a dozen in a shack now, bunk beds, 4 per cell, stack them up like cord wood, if the kill each other oh well less expense to the tax payer.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
My thoughts exactly.

All we need is a couple hundred feet of rope. Can even claim it’s eco-friendly, as we can use the same rope over and over.

Side note- communities that rely on jails for employment go to hell. Edmonton and Prince Albert for example.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:32 PM

Make all drugs free.
Same people are gonna be addicts anyway.
Only now crime is cut down a huge percentage because there will be no dealers and addicts don’t have to steal and rob to get their fix.
Save billions.
BILLIONS