Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 PM

Default night fishing

I can't find anything in the regs, but isn't there some rule about fishing at night? any restrictions like hunting as far as time goes? summer or winter?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM

You know, Ive wondered the same thing for years. And after reading alot about it on here, Im pretty sure your allowed to fish at night as long as your dont use any type of light to attract the fish.
I know Brian Chan does it in BC, but thats across the border.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM

Generally you can fish at night. Except certain bodies of water have restrictions certain times of year. Example: PCR - can't fish at night in summer, same for Crawling valkey and others. So no general rules, just lake specific.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:46 PM

It's lake specific. It will be in the Regs if there are restrictions on that particular body of water. E.g.: From Sunrise to Sunset...
Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 PM

u can fish at night but night to attrack fish thats all i know. i love night fishing with a bobber with a light inside
Old 02-05-2011, 03:48 PM

I've always took pride in being able to catch fish in the day and hadn't done much night fishing untill this past fall. Being to busy to get out on the river untill late afternoon, let me tell you we had some pretty incredible fishing. Trolling deep tail dancers upriver in the river portion at Tobin Lake the wife and I were not able to troll up to the top of the drift because of all the fish we were catching. These fish were big, between 6 and 12 pounds and double headers too. Laughin like a little girl I was. Nothin like having 2 Walleye in the net over 10 pounds at the same time. I gotta figure out how to post pictures.

Steve
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 PM

wlleye bite on poppers too in early morning and twicthing floaters minows
Old 02-08-2011, 09:08 AM

I haven't tried night fishing yet but I think I am going to start. Is it just walleye that are active during the dark hours or are there any other species?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM

You can catch the odd pike, if you do they will likely be a very decent size. Burbot are the most active night time feeders, walleye second. Lake trout also will feed through the night, especially on full moons and if you using glow stuff, you can have luck. Perch can't see at night and hide in weeds (which is why walleye feed at night in weeds/shallows), neither can whites. Pike seem to roam but they don't have great eyesite in the dark...but with movement or scent they can strike using their lateral line. Most burbot only come out at night from the depths and feed via sound and scent.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM

I wanna go ice fishing at night for walleye where do i go like how deep do i used bait and does it have to be a full noon. can it be cloudy and they still bite
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Lots of questions here to be answered....

1. Full moon. You don't need a full moon for the eyes to bite. But sometimes they can b more active during the moon phase. Barometric pressure is more important for walleyes than moon phase IMO.

2. Depth is very much lake dependant and why the fish are in the spot. Structure is key and also have to consider the seasonal movement of walleye. Too much to get into here, I suggest the in-fisherman books for a good read. Typically though a drop off, mid lake hump, weedbeds that are fish will be coming up to the 12-18 FOW range.

3. Bait. Yes, usually although depends how active they are. One might need to use a chuddydarter or northland buckshot rattle spoon to target active fish or bring them in. Then maybe a jig and minnow or similar for the less active or finicky fish.

4. Cloudy. Sure, it is night! When there is 24-36" of ice, there will be very little light penetration so night vs full moon vs cloudy isn't going to make a difference.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 AM

Great info, thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 AM

ya thanks man
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM

I like night fishing, quiet!! lol

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM

night fishing is awesome, have a camping chair and a timmys coffee and bag of chips with candie ur good to go lol