Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Fishing the Bow in Calgary

Tomorrow I'm heading out to the bow, and I wanna try fishing. Never fly fished in my life, but I recently bought a used rod. Bringing a 5wt fly rod as well as a UL spinning rod. I've got some wooly buggers, and leech imitation type stuff. I don't have waders either so I'll need to get access from shore. Any idea where to go? I remember seeing someone had posted a map with a bunch of spots in Calgary. Anyone know where I can go with the best chance of catching a fish? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmccallum4 View Post
Tomorrow I'm heading out to the bow, and I wanna try fishing. Never fly fished in my life, but I recently bought a used rod. Bringing a 5wt fly rod as well as a UL spinning rod. I've got some wooly buggers, and leech imitation type stuff. I don't have waders either so I'll need to get access from shore. Any idea where to go? I remember seeing someone had posted a map with a bunch of spots in Calgary. Anyone know where I can go with the best chance of catching a fish? Thanks.
Start at Fish Creek Park.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Start at Fish Creek Park.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Honestly if I spend the whole day and catch one I'll be happy. Just looking to get out and learn something while having a good time.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Honestly if I spend the whole day and catch one I'll be happy. Just looking to get out and learn something while having a good time.
Good attitude. The Bow River is a world class fishery. But without the help of a guide, it is not an easy place to catch fish, especially in the winter time. In flowing water, both the environment and food are in constant flux, so the water that will hold fish in one set of flow conditions will almost certainly change throughout the course of the year. So, 'a good spot' is relative. At this time of year, the fish will be hanging out in deeper slower water. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:51 PM

I don't know anything about winter fishing but if you message me in the spring I can take you to a good spot.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Good attitude. The Bow River is a world class fishery. But without the help of a guide, it is not an easy place to catch fish, especially in the winter time. In flowing water, both the environment and food are in constant flux, so the water that will hold fish in one set of flow conditions will almost certainly change throughout the course of the year. So, 'a good spot' is relative. At this time of year, the fish will be hanging out in deeper slower water. Good luck.
Yeah I got skunked aha but it was still a good time.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
I don't know anything about winter fishing but if you message me in the spring I can take you to a good spot.
Thanks, I live a few hours away but I'll definitely be back this spring.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah I got skunked aha but it was still a good time.
Starting about mid-March, the fishing usually picks when the fish move from their wintering holes. PM me a few days before your next trip into the city, I can give you some tips to get you started.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Starting about mid-March, the fishing usually picks when the fish move from their wintering holes. PM me a few days before your next trip into the city, I can give you some tips to get you started.
Thanks, sounds good!