Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Default Damaged luggage from a flight

So on a return trip my luggage was damaged to the point it needs to be replaced. Without naming companies to be unbiased has anyone ever been through this and how were you treated ?

Thus far I spoke to the person in customer service, no results!!
And I've sent an email no answer.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:41 AM

An airline charged us extra to carry a solid, reinforced golf club case (one you could stand on and it wouldn't bend at all).

We were told on the plane, before we even left the tarmac that our case had been damaged on the conveyer belt, but only slightly, and that we should see an agent when we landed, before our connecting flight.

We did and they directed us to an office. No case. We had to get on another plane. Told to speak with the airline at our final destination.

Found our way to that office - the bag wasn't there, but they wanted us to sign a declaration that the damage was minimal. Without even seeing it.

Two days into our trip, the case was delivered to our hotel. The bottom looked like it had been sawed off and was wrapped with duct tape. Took pictures, called the airline and created a claim ticket. And get this - there were razor blades (like from an Exacto knife) in the bottom of the bag!

The airline said don't worry, bring it to the office on your way back home. We did. They wouldn't do anything, and suggested that we damaged the bag ourselves! Seriously.

This story goes on and on, but the punchline is that they would only replace the case with a soft piece of crap cover that they must have pulled from their lost and found.

So, to answer your question - strap in for a wild ride, if it's worth it to you.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM

My sister received a $150 credit from WestJet, her suitcase was crushed just after Christmas. The luggage was lost on the way to San Fran, returned the day before they left and unbelievably lost again on the way home returned 3 days later damaged.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Our (United) flight was delayed and our luggage was lost on the way to Hawaii. We got there and it was 2 days before they found them. They told us at the airport to go buy whatever we needed, we each got shoes, shorts, shirts, jeans, underwear, socks, then repeated the next day. We didn't go to Walmart, but not Gucci either, just decent clothes for the 4 of us. The money was at home before we got there.
On the way home our flight was delayed and luggage lost again. I called the airline, told filed the claim. They told us again to go buy whatever we needed, and they would send the money. I said we were only 3 hours from home, didn't need anything because we had it all at home, would wait for it there. The rep was kind of shocked when he heard this, but in all honesty after being in airports for 2 days we just wanted to go home, not shopping again.
2 days later purolator came with our bags, 1 damaged all 4 opened. Nothing missing, but the Airline said go buy a new suitcase or give an amount and they would replace it.
Their customer service rep called a couple days later, and after a few minutes asked for our email. We got $2900.00 in flight credit plus $560.00 USD for the new clothes which was already there.
Be nice. Be understanding, but let them know it is unacceptable.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 01-22-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Luggage doesn't last forever, I went through a bag a year when I was buying average luggage. Bought some good eagle creek stuff and it's lasted the last 6 years no worse for wear.

If they lose a bag that's different, but my experience has always been ripped off handles, broken wheels and zippers.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

Write a song and put it on youtube

And a book, website etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Google "passenger rights Canada CBC" and you will find a piece CBC did on the subject. The advocate mentioned has done a lot ... great information.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 PM

On our last trip, someones suitcase came down to the carousel, burst open, luckily there was a security strap on it. Way too much stuff in it. tough to blame that on the airline.

Grizz
Old 01-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Word of advice; Never travel with items that can be damaged and never travel with item(s) that you can't afford to lose.

The theft at the airports is very high. And the airlines and YYC etc, deny any problems.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:35 PM

never had luggage damaged but had some lost before . they diverted it to orlando where i was headed and picked it up . they gave me a $60 west jet credit for my inconvenience . credit expired about a month before i had a chance to use it so , this is just a heads up . if you get a credit from an airline it may have an expiry date , which makes it useless .