Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 PM

Thumbs down Bedbugs in Edmonton- a personal FYI

And anywhere for that matter......
My son moved into an apartment in Edmonton November 6.
November 8 he went to the Doctor, asking what all the itchy red spots were, all over his body. Bedbugs, up to 50 bites per night.
He informed the Landlord immediately. The bastard said 'yes it has been a problem here'!!! He did not disclose this to the new renters!!!
The slumlord said they would look into it, and 2 weeks later was told 'you have to remove everything away from the sides of the walls, all the plug in covers, light fixture covers, etc. If you do not do 80% of the work you will be billed $60/hr. I got involved, magically this was lifted.

The slumlord paid 1 of 2 nights for him to go stay in a hotel, and gave $300 for prescriptions, etc.

He fought with this for another month, and heard 'the poison has to work, we are bringing back the dog, they will do another spray', then no returned calls texts or emails, then 'excuse excuse excuse'.

He was finally told that the beagle and spray would be back December 23rd, so they rented a hotel for 6 days.
This did not work, when they got back they were getting 30-40 bites per night. The bedbugs administer an anesthetic, very nice of them so you do not feel them sucking your blood.
So back to the slumlord, who refused to comment, would not return calls or texts.
I got ahold of him, of course he answered my call because he did not recognise my number. He was apologetic and willing to talk until I asked him about rent abatement until the problem was taken care of, then completely switched to 'I might be talking to a Lawyer too' and that ended it.
In speaking to my Lawyer, and another Lawyer, and a Law student, all said that because he did not keep with Alberta Standards and breeched the lease agreement my Son would be totally within his right to leave.
They again texted the scumlord, saying they were leaving, threw out their bedding, their new mattress, their couch and loveseat, gutted the covering off the kitchen chairs, and took their clothing to a laundromat for yet another dose of very high heat drying, which is supposedly the best way to kill the adults and eggs.
The scumlord sent a demand letter, saying he was going to sue them for;
entire apartment cleaning, $347,
1 month rent, $895,
new rental search $450,
cleaning supplied, etc totalling $1350.00

The kids are out all their furniture, lots of clothing, lost the damage deposit, spent 2 days cleaning, a brand new queen bed set, close to $6000 + the $1350 he is claiming.

I searched case law for this, and quite often the vacancy was allowed, but never found where a Judge awarded cost of replacement furniture, regardless of age or receipt held. It was not worth the fight (to them, I was ready to go!) and they paid a settlement amount.
The slumlord had new people in the infested apartment within days. The next door neighbor has been fighting them for years unsuccessfully.
He has proof of other apartments in the unit being treated; warnings on the doors of infected rooms not to enter. The scumlord said 'he must have brought it with him'. I nearly drove there on that one alone.

NOW, they know there is a 'bed bug' registry of sorts from Edmonton.

Just a FYI for anyone with kids going into the major centers.

Oh another thing- he found his couch and loveseat on Kijiji, someone grabbed it from the dump and took it home to sell. He and I informed the seller that it 'may be loaded with bedbugs' but he did not care. Wow.

It was a terrible Christmas, they could not see anyone for fear of bringing an infestation with them. He could not see his sister who just moved 8 hours away, nor his only little nephew. He couldn't see his grandparents or us, and his girlfriend was in the same boat.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone here.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Banned

I know that awhile ago I need some furniture for the rumpus room in the basement.
In the past I would have checked out things like Kijiji and the such...not anymore, wouldn't touch used furniture these days with a 10 foot pole.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:52 PM

sorry to hear about the troubles buddy, I know all to well the problems that bed bugs bring, just a few short years ago ( 40 if we are counting ) I was in pest control out of Brandon Manitoba...we went on many calls for these pests, they are very tough and sneaky, they get into everything when hiding out and waiting for their fresh meal for the night. We wouldn't even warranty our work when we were done with a call on these.
I wish you luck Ken, and thanks for the heads up!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM

What a horrible story! I'm glad that they are finally out of there.

I recall helping friends move a while ago... And after the process was well underway, they casually noted that they had had bedbugs (upstairs renter was suspect). I almost flipped. Sure would have been nice to have a heads-up! Apparently the fumigation had been done, and it must have been effective. I ended up stripping in the garage and bagging my clothes when I got home, etc. etc.

Daughter was having issues with bites, and our doctor suggested scabies. So we all treated for that, went through the drill, avoided contact with other people until we were done - did that twice. She still had issues. Then he nonchalantly suggested we had bedbugs. Incredigirl almost lost her mind at that point. In the end, it turned out that our daughter was having a reaction to mosquito bites.

One thing, with the extreme cold weather we have in Alberta, we have a recourse of salvaging larger infested items. Apparently all it takes is 80 hours in temperatures of -16° C (measured at the core of the item) to kill those scourges and their eggs. Heat works too (steamers etc.) I don't recall the minimum temperature for that... But yeah, I'm really leary of used furniture. Those vermin can hide anywhere.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Bedbugs are my wife biggest phobia, I found some in a hotel room I was staying at a few years ago and she was freaking out despite being 10 hours away. Needless to say that was a fun few months of aftermath and it's still not over only lessened. From what we found out they're an incredibly difficult pest to get rid of, taking upto several years of constant vigilance and spraying. We won't even consider anything used anymore especially furniture.

They make mattress covers and pillow cases that are supposed to be bedbug tight, it could be worth your kids sanity to look into Ken. Also books are a great place for them to hide in, just because they cleaned their clothes and rid themselves of thier furniture doesn't mean the bugs are gone. Better to be over cautious or at least is what we believe.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:59 PM

Brutal Ken. I hope there is some kinda recourse to go after the slum lord. As a landlord, how can you willingly rent to people knowing they are walking into a world of bed bugs and the crap it is to deal with them.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My son moved into an apartment in Edmonton November 6.
November 8 he went to the Doctor, asking what all the itchy red spots were, all over his body. Bedbugs, up to 50 bites per night.
He informed the Landlord immediately. The bastard said 'yes it has been a problem here'!!! He did not disclose this to the new renters!!!
The slumlord said they would look into it, and 2 weeks later was told 'you have to remove everything away from the sides of the walls, all the plug in covers, light fixture covers, etc. If you do not do 80% of the work you will be billed $60/hr. I got involved, magically this was lifted.
The slumlord paid 1 of 2 nights for him to go stay in a hotel, and gave $300 for prescriptions, etc.

He fought with this for another month, and heard 'the poison has to work, we are bringing back the dog, they will do another spray', then no returned calls texts or emails, then 'excuse excuse excuse'.

He was finally told that the beagle and spray would be back December 23rd, so they rented a hotel for 6 days.
This did not work, when they got back they were getting 30-40 bites per night. The bedbugs administer an anesthetic, very nice of them so you do not feel them sucking your blood.
So back to the slumlord, who refused to comment, would not return calls or texts.
I got ahold of him, of course he answered my call because he did not recognise my number. He was apologetic and willing to talk until I asked him about rent abatement until the problem was taken care of, then completely switched to 'I might be talking to a Lawyer too' and that ended it.
In speaking to my Lawyer, and another Lawyer, and a Law student, all said that because he did not keep with Alberta Standards and breeched the lease agreement my Son would be totally within his right to leave.
They again texted the scumlord, saying they were leaving, threw out their bedding, their new mattress, their couch and loveseat, gutted the covering off the kitchen chairs, and took their clothing to a laundromat for yet another dose of very high heat drying, which is supposedly the best way to kill the adults and eggs.
The scumlord sent a demand letter, saying he was going to sue them for;
entire apartment cleaning, $347,
1 month rent, $895,
new rental search $450,
cleaning supplied, etc totalling $1350.00

The kids are out all their furniture, lots of clothing, lost the damage deposit, spent 2 days cleaning, a brand new queen bed set, close to $6000 + the $1350 he is claiming.

I searched case law for this, and quite often the vacancy was allowed, but never found where a Judge awarded cost of replacement furniture, regardless of age or receipt held. It was not worth the fight (to them, I was ready to go!) and they paid a settlement amount.
The slumlord had new people in the infested apartment within days. The next door neighbor has been fighting them for years unsuccessfully.
He has proof of other apartments in the unit being treated; warnings on the doors of infected rooms not to enter. The scumlord said 'he must have brought it with him'. I nearly drove there on that one alone.

NOW, they know there is a 'bed bug' registry of sorts from Edmonton.

Just a FYI for anyone with kids going into the major centers. .

Oh another thing- he found his couch and loveseat on Kijiji, someone grabbed it from the dump and took it home to sell. He and I informed the seller that it 'may be loaded with bedbugs' but he did not care. Wow.

It was a terrible Christmas, they could not see anyone for fear of bringing an infestation with them. He could not see his sister who just moved 8 hours away, nor his only little nephew. He couldn't see his grandparents or us, and his girlfriend was in the same boat.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone here.
Why do you call the landlord a slum lord I'm sure he is not the one that brought the bugs into his building and by the sound of it he is doing what is required.

Why did you son have to stay in a motel?

Why did he throw out his furniture?

There is a reason why the judge never give a settlement for discarded furniture.

And there was no reason why they could not visit family it is not leprosy it is bed bugs.

Mack

Last edited by Mackinaw; 01-20-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Ken, my whole life has been around apartment buildings - managing, owning, and now every day buying/selling them for people. Every building has them at one time or another.

A good friend is an entomologist and he's remarked more than once that he finds as many bed bugs in 4 star hotels as 2 star hotels.

I'm not justifying the landlords actions as I don't know either side's experience first hand, but I've personally been on both sides and it's no fun at all for anyone.

Chris
Old 01-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Why do you call the landlord a slum lord I'm sure he is not the one that brought the bugs into his building and by the sound of it he is doing what is required.

There is a reason why the judge never give a settlement for discarded furniture.

And 5 here was no reason why they could not visit family it is not leprosy it is bed bugs.

Mack
You sound like someone who has no idea what he is talking about, or ever had bed bugs.

You and your son have my sympathy Ken. This happened to us about 20 years ago, another tenant brought them to the building, and they spread. We fought with them for over a year, thought we'd got it dealt with (after also throwing out all furniture and replacing)....and they were still in the building and soon enough our problem again. We moved, but the absolute nightmare of it lingers. Just the thought of them has me scratching. Horrible little pernicious beasts, and you can develop serious allergies to their bites, as we found out. I'm itching while I type just thinking about it.

And the moral to the story is, check the bed bug registry before you move. We did this when my girls moved to Edmonton, and half the units we were considering showed up on the registry, particularly anything that was dorm related or close to the schools (NAIT, UofA, Grant M).... we also have seen them in nice hotels. With the banning of DDT, which was most effective at getting rid of them, they have made a spectacular comeback in North America.

As a further note, and has been mentioned, NEVER buy used furniture. EVER! Those little sons of satan will make you crazy and cost you a bleeding fortune.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
You sound like someone who has no idea what he is talking about, or ever had bed bugs.

You and your son have my sympathy Ken. This happened to us about 20 years ago, another tenant brought them to the building, and they spread. We fought with them for over a year, thought we'd got it dealt with (after also throwing out all furniture and replacing)....and they were still in the building and soon enough our problem again. We moved, but the absolute nightmare of it lingers. Just the thought of them has me scratching. Horrible little pernicious beasts, and you can develop serious allergies to their bites, as we found out. I'm itching while I type just thinking about it.

And the moral to the story is, check the bed bug registry before you move. We did this when my girls moved to Edmonton, and half the units we were considering showed up on the registry, particularly anything that was dorm related or close to the schools (NAIT, UofA, Grant M).... we also have seen them in nice hotels. With the banning of DDT, which was most effective at getting rid of them, they have made a spectacular comeback in North America.

As a further note, and has been mentioned, NEVER buy used furniture. EVER! Those little sons of satan will make you crazy and cost you a bleeding fortune.
You are absolutely wrong I deal with them day to day so if you think you know more then me be cause you had then once 20 years ago you make me laugh.

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely wrong I deal with them day to day so if you think you know more then me be cause you had then once 20 years ago you make me laugh.

Mack
Dealing with them 'once'....now you make me laugh. At least we both had a laugh. Have a good weekend Mack, if you deal with bedbugs every day you probably need a break.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-20-2017, 03:17 PM

I know it is additional cost to a likely already tight budget, but a quick sweep of the unit with a trained dog with a good sniffer would have saved a lot of grief before signing a lease. Not every infested unit shows up on a registry.

I have been attending Hotel Shows for many years and the Bedbug Dogs are always drawing huge interest from hotel owners.

Had my step daughter and Grandson move in with us for 2 months while the owner tried the blame game and several unsuccessful fumigations-Was a duplex and they treated each unit separately to no avail-the little buggers just migrated next door until the coast was clear.

We eventually moved them out and left most fabric covered furniture behind. Was winter so we froze everything we could outside for a few weeks in the shed before bringing it back inside. Got bedbug slip covers for all mattresses

I actually prefer Cockroaches and Silverfish
Old 01-20-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I know it is additional cost to a likely already tight budget, but a quick sweep of the unit with a trained dog with a good sniffer would have saved a lot of grief before signing a lease. Not every infested unit shows up on a registry.

I have been attending Hotel Shows for many years and the Bedbug Dogs are always drawing huge interest from hotel owners.

Had my step daughter and Grandson move in with us for 2 months while the owner tried the blame game and several unsuccessful fumigations-Was a duplex and they treated each unit separately to no avail-the little buggers just migrated next door until the coast was clear.

We eventually moved them out and left most fabric covered furniture behind. Was winter so we froze everything we could outside for a few weeks in the shed before bringing it back inside. Got bedbug slip covers for all mattresses

I actually prefer Cockroaches and Silverfish
You are right cockroarchs are the lesser of two evils. Freezing is ok as long as it is a constant below 0 for min 4/5 day heat is a far better treatment. People don't realize how easy it is to get an infestation if not aware.

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Dealing with them 'once'....now you make me laugh. At least we both had a laugh. Have a good weekend Mack, if you deal with bedbugs every day you probably need a break.
There is never a break in my job just a slight lull..lol

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Banned

In all honesty, I don't think landlords are required to tell possible tenants about any bugs in the living spaces - and many just don't inquire. If I had to move now, i'd be banging on neighbors doors asking them about any issues.

Last place I moved out of - good riddance - there was an infestation of Pharaoh Ants. Interesting little buggers, and bloody hard to get rid of. The day i was moving out, someone had left a mattress by the dumpster marked bed bug infested. That really upset me, nobody was told about it - and the landlord told me to mind my own business.

I've never had to deal with bedbugs personally - thankfully. But a friend moved into an apartment complex, and didn't know about the bedbugs. She spent the first few nights sleepless - and picking bedbugs off her newborn. She was not happy, and it's not a good enough reason to break a lease legally.

There are websites where people can report infestation of bedbugs. http://bedbugregistry.com/ is one.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Because he was an ignorant bastard that failed to disclose the problem.

No, he did as little as possible as cheap as possible.

It was advised to get out when the pesticide was applied.

So he didn't infest the next place.

And there was no reason why they could not visit family it is not leprosy it is bed bugs.

Mack
Ya you are right it's not leprosy it's bed bugs
You ever see a 3 year old tear his own skin almost off because he is itching and being driven crazy from bites?

Hands down stupidest reply I have ever seen in AO. Sympathizing with a slumlord and siding with bedbugs?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Banned

Bring back DDT.

As someone who has to stay in hotels occasionally, I am paranoid of dragging the little bastards back to casa de Ruga.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Ya you are right it's not leprosy it's bed bugs
You ever see a 3 year old tear his own skin almost off because he is itching and being driven crazy from bites?

Hands down stupidest reply I have ever seen in AO. Sympathizing with a slumlord and siding with bedbugs?
If you had a clue about what you are talking about I might take offense to your post but I will just put it down to your ignorance of the issue.
Perhaps if you researched a little you would may gain some knowledge.

Nothing has to be thrown out it can be treated quite successfully.

Anyone over 2 years old only has to be out of spray area 6 hour 8 is preferred for safety.

You said the landlord had it sprayed what else did you want him to do.

If your son did not ask the right question when applying for the unit it is his fault unfortunate as it is.

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
If you had a clue about what you are talking about I might take offense to your post but I will just put it down to your ignorance of the issue.
Perhaps if you researched a little you would may gain some knowledge.

Nothing has to be thrown out it can be treated quite successfully.

Anyone over 2 years old only has to be out of spray area 6 hour 8 is preferred for safety.

You said the landlord had it sprayed what else did you want him to do.

If your son did not ask the right question when applying for the unit it is his fault unfortunate as it is.

Mack
I cannot believe you would actually post that last sentence!!...incredible!!!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Mack
Excuse me for my ignorance, but are you implying it should be the renter's responsibility to ask if there are bed bugs present when the landlord knows fully well they are?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 PM

I feel for you Ken. I had my own battle with a landlord over silverfish infestation back in the 60's. I lost and moved to another apartment. Quite something how those creepy little buggers come out of the woodwork as soon as the lights go out.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Bring back DDT.

As someone who has to stay in hotels occasionally, I am paranoid of dragging the little bastards back to casa de Ruga.
There is a few easy things that you can do to lessen your chance of bringing them home.

1 as soon as you enter the room DO NOT set suitcases on floor put it on metal rack or on hard surface such as countertop or cabinet.

2 take the bedspread off throw it in the corner sheets are washed often spreads not so much

3 put nothing on carpet floor even dirty clothes put then in plastic bag.they should go straight from bag to washer.

4 never put clothes in drawers

5 when you take shoes off for the night put on tile floor or plastic boot tray.

Hope this helps make you stay in motel less stressful.

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 08:40 PM

My daughter and son in law were in a apartment east of the Bonnie Doon Mall area in Edmonton. The kids ended up with a bad infestation of bed bugs. So bad my daughter had bites all over and ended up on antibiotics. They tried everything to get rid of them, but no luck. The apartment manager was aware of the problem and fumigated the kids unit. Not all units were fumigated in the apartment complex and the problem was never solved with the migration of these critters. The kids threw out a couple of thousand dollars worth of possessions and moved out of that nightmare. The bed bug hot line is a must for anyone looking for a rental unit no matter where you live, it is a epidemic in Edmonton, renters beware.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Now that we have had our daily overdose of forced condescension......

Again, just an FYI from.someone that has lost.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Excuse me for my ignorance, but are you implying it should be the renter's responsibility to ask if there are bed bugs present when the landlord knows fully well they are?
I'm just saying an informed rent should know what to ask to protect himself.
Even if a landlord knows there are bedbugs he is not obligated to say so unfortunately.
But if he is asked and he dose not admit it. It is much easier to terminate the lease.
I was not trying to imply that it is the renters responsible other then for his own safety.

Sorry if you found that statement rude.

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
There is a few easy things that you can do to lessen your chance of bringing them home.

1 as soon as you enter the room DO NOT set suitcases on floor put it on metal rack or on hard surface such as countertop or cabinet.

2 take the bedspread off throw it in the corner sheets are washed often spreads not so much

3 put nothing on carpet floor even dirty clothes put then in plastic bag.they should go straight from bag to washer.

4 never put clothes in drawers

5 when you take shoes off for the night put on tile floor or plastic boot tray.

Hope this helps make you stay in motel less stressful.

Mack

Thanks for bug tips, but I would rather sleep on the street. Maybe a better tip from you Would be to advise us on what hotels you are involved with?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Now that we have had our daily overdose of forced condescension......

Again, just an FYI from.someone that has lost.
Sorry if you don't like my posts Ken but that happens.
I hope your son makes out ok.

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 08:59 PM

I seen bedbugs a few times when travelling in south east asia. Always caught them when checking the mattress though, just need to know what to look for as you will usually see bedbugs themselves of bedbug crap in the seems of the mattress.

You should have kept the furniture and clothes etc. Could have killed the bed bugs by freezing them in the cold temps or washing the clothes on high temps.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturalwoodsman View Post
Thanks for bug tips, but I would rather sleep on the street. Maybe a better tip from you Would be to advise us on what hotels you are involved with?
Sorry not involved with any motels just happen to stay in a lot of them so you can take your insinuation and fill your boots.

Thanks for posting ....nothing.

Mack
Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry not involved with any motels just happen to stay in a lot of them so you can take your insinuation and fill your boots.

Thanks for posting ....nothing.

Mack
Since you like to apologize I will do the same.

Sorry if you didn't like my post Bug Mack........But it happens! Good nite and don't let the bed bugs bite.:lol
Closed Thread