Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Default Tree cover history in Alberta

Hi,
In the last 70 years I've lived along the eastern slopes there have been many changes. The most visible is tree cover.
Mountain Legacy is doing some comparisons between "then and now".
Check out: http://mountainlegacy.ca/research/analysis.html

Enjoy,

Don
Old 01-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Thanks for posting. I love looking at old photos compared to recent ones and frequently the changes are impressive . Trees encroaching on previous grasslands and glaciers receding are always the most startling.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:30 AM

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-20-2017, 12:06 PM

There is a book out called "Exploring with Custer, The 1874 Black Hills Expedition" by Ernest Grafe & Paul Horsted. W.H. Illingworth was a famous professional photographer of the day and was on that expedition and took several photos of the area. The two book authors spent 3 years researching the area and took modern photos from the exact same place as Mr Illingworth.

It is surprising how many of the photos, taken over 125 years later look exactly the same as the originals. However, some have shown quite a bit of change, mostly more trees in the background. There are a couple that show a fallen tree in the foreground with branches sticking up, and the same tree is still there with the same branches sticking up. One would think that over that period of time it would have rotted away.

A real neat book.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:00 PM

I remember an old timer telling us 25 years ago that when he was a kid they could take a team and wagon just about anywhere NE of Rocky Mountain House as it was mostly bald or and scrub brush.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-20-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I remember an old timer telling us 25 years ago that when he was a kid they could take a team and wagon just about anywhere NE of Rocky Mountain House as it was mostly bald or and scrub brush.
Yup, forest fires burned unchecked throughout much of western Alberta prior to 1900. Guess one has to question the relevance of this project since fires have been aggressively dealt with since the original pictures were taken.

Grizz
Old 01-20-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Yup, forest fires burned unchecked throughout much of western Alberta prior to 1900. Guess one has to question the relevance of this project since fires have been aggressively dealt with since the original pictures were taken.

Grizz
I guess that's true from some form of history.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 PM

WOW! Spectacular collection of images on a great interactive map. Fascinating and sad to see our footprint on the landscape in so many places. I am no saint and have contributed my share of the scars (I live in a wood framed house, burn natural gas to heat our home, burn gasoline all of which have industrial footprints in these pics) It sure would be nice to have some of those untouched places back to explore. It must have been quite exciting to head out west into the wilderness. I think I was maybe born 90 years too late

Thank you for posting.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
The Buffalo also kept the tree line in check. David Thompson's diary shows that Rocky Mtn House was out in the prairie in his day.

Sam Steele of the NWMP, later Major General Sir Sam Steele, stated in his book that he was amazed at how the northern tree line moved south as much as it did from when he 1st saw it in 1874 and then again in 1885. Due mostly to the absence of the Buffalo grazing.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
The Buffalo also kept the tree line in check. David Thompson's diary shows that Rocky Mtn House was out in the prairie in his day.

Sam Steele of the NWMP, later Major General Sir Sam Steele, stated in his book that he was amazed at how the northern tree line moved south as much as it did from when he 1st saw it in 1874 and then again in 1885. Due mostly to the absence of the Buffalo grazing.
I had read that as well. A lot of Alberta bush was once open prairie. Fires and Buffalo. We stopped both.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Open prairie to Edmonton House as well
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup,you wipe out a species or nearly do the range they occupied changes drastically over time. Impacts all others too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Killing the buffalo saved the forests.
That's reducing co2.
Imagine how high our carbon tax would be otherwise...