Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Buffalo Target Shooters Association

Hey everyone,

I joined the BTSA as I just recently got my restricted and wanted to join a club where I could shoot my rifles as well as my newly acquired pistol.

So I joined and sent in my dues, got that all processed and get my membership cards in the mail. Now, reading their FAQ I don't get keys or access to the range unless I go through a range orientation.

There's nothing scheduled and I've emailed about 3 times now in the last 12 days to find out when the soonest I can take the range orientation, and I've heard nothing back.

For one, hunting season is upon us and I really need to sight in before heading out, and was hoping to do that so that I avoid having to find crown land this time of year considering there are a tonne of people out there.

Does anyone have any experience with the BTSA and am I correct in my assumption that I can't use the range until I get the orientation??

Since I can't get any answers from them I figured I'd turn to you trusty folk!!
Old 10-31-2016, 12:11 PM

Don't count on getting a key for a while yet. Even after the orientation, it won't happen for a while. It isn't an automatic process.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I don't really need the keys, I just need access. Are the keys mandatory for access? I don't even know, and it's not very clear on their web site.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:15 PM

I paid my dues in early July and went to orientation in mid September.
And just got the gate code 2 weeks ago.
It's not a fast system.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:34 PM

Default Huh

Well now, isn't that a ridiculous process.
Is there at least a secret handshake?
Old 10-31-2016, 04:43 PM

One of the ranges that I belong to requires a range orientation before you are issued an access card. After belonging to other clubs that don't require this, I am actually in favor of the mandatory orientation. Given that most clubs are run by volunteers, you can't expect orientation sessions to be held every week. As such, it's not a great idea to wait until hunting season is almost here to join. That be said, a couple of months is quite long to wait.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-31-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:18 PM

Sounds like the most expedient thing to do is find someone who already belongs that you can go in with
Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 PM

Historically, by this time of year things are pretty quiet with the club and things don't really start up again until spring. Having said that once you've been to orientation I don't get the wait for the combo. All they're providing is a combo so I don't see why they don't do it after the orientation.

I'm assuming you paid dues for 2017? Maybe that has something to do with it? Let us know what you hear back.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
One of the ranges that I belong to requires a range orientation before you are issued an access card. After belonging to other clubs that don't require this, I am actually in favor of the mandatory orientation. Given that most clubs are run by volunteers, you can't expect orientation sessions to be held every week. As such, it's not a great idea to wait until hunting season is almost here to join. That be said, a couple of months is quite long to wait.
This.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-31-2016, 10:10 PM

It's always nice to have someone show you how to staple a target to the target backer

-Billy Molls
Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It's always nice to have someone show you how to staple a target to the target backer
Is that what you think a range orientation is about?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 PM

Default Lol

I'm learning how to tell who voted Liberal in the last election by this thread.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
This statement has piqued my interest. Care to expand? I promise to take no offence.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
If you spent more time at your local range, you would have witnessed behavior that would convince you that a mandatory range orientation, and an explanation of the range rules is not a bad idea. I was one of the people that had to deal with incidents resulting from the stupid things that people did at that very range, and the excuse was always that they didn't know any better, because nobody told them. Given just how stupid some of the things people have done at that range were, it's a miracle that nobody has been killed.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-31-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Is that what you think a range orientation is about?
That's about as hard as I've found range operation to be. Has life become that complicated that we can't put hearing protection on without someone holding our hand?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-31-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
That's about as hard as I've found range operation to be. Has life become that complicated that we can't put hearing protection on without someone holding our hand?
For some reason I believe you do not shoot at a formal range but have the ability to shoot on private land.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Some people can't put hearing or eye protection on without being told. And some will even argue that there is no such range rule, even though it is listed on the range application form that they signed, as well as on the bench that they are shooting off of. We have even had people show up at the range and start shooting with people downrange, even though the warning sign was hung that indicated that people were downrange. Their excuse was that they never saw anyone, and had no idea that anyone else was at the range. Apparently the vehicle parked beside theirs, the several rifles on the rack behind the firing line, and the sign indicating that people were downrange weren't enough for them to realize that someone else was there.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:01 PM

Default Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
This statement has piqued my interest. Care to expand? I promise to take no offence.
I think its since been answered.
But you can often tell more liberal thinking individuals by the need to have increasing rules and laws to keep people in line, and the rules being followed appear to be more important than the original goal was to begin.
If you add "Firearms must be stored at our facility" this sounds like a range that the Liberal government is operating. The only info I have about this range is what's posted here, so I am quite possibly wrong about this place.
But I would never wait, after paying, for a range code. And would certainly be demanding a refund. Unless of course the individual purchased a 2017 membership.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:22 PM

Started a Range Orientation thread .... given that this one is getting derailed in that direction
Old 11-01-2016, 08:42 AM

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

Yes, I'm in favour of the range orientation, but I'd like to know when I can actually do it.

I submitted my paperwork in early September for my membership to be valid starting on Oct 1st and through end of 2017, so I figured there'd be at least 4 weeks to get this taken care of. I guess not just yet.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Thanks for all of the replies guys.

Yes, I'm in favour of the range orientation, but I'd like to know when I can actually do it.

I submitted my paperwork in early September for my membership to be valid starting on Oct 1st and through end of 2017, so I figured there'd be at least 4 weeks to get this taken care of. I guess not just yet.
I guess every club will have different policies. One of the reasons many clubs have gone to Calander Year memberships is to facilitate the efficient organization of Orientations through fixed scheduling.
Most clubs have monthly meetings...any chance you could connect with an Exec member by attending? Hope you make the connection in time to use your Range.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 AM

Thanks 260, agreed!
Old 11-01-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Did you pay for Oct - Dec of this year on top of the 2017 fees?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:26 PM

BTSA has a code access at the gate.....no key
Old 11-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Yeah I believe so.
My membership is valid from Oct 1, 2016 to end of 2017.