Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-30-2016, 04:28 PM

Default lead in wad base

I tried searching for this topic, no luck. My issue is that we found quite a few 410 wads that had at least 8-12 #8 shot stuck in the base of the wads. Anybody else ever have this problem? These are our reloads.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
I tried searching for this topic, no luck. My issue is that we found quite a few 410 wads that had at least 8-12 #8 shot stuck in the base of the wads. Anybody else ever have this problem? These are our reloads.
Are you loading with a modern plastic wad?
I know wit mine I use motor mica dust when . When I load with fibre wads I always put an .035 card wad shiny side towards the shot on top of the fibre so the shot doesn't stick in it.
Cat
Old 10-30-2016, 04:57 PM

Smile Did you find these shot after you pulled the trigger?

I'd be very surprised, as the inertia of the shot should be way different than the fiber wad. Pattern the shotgun from about 25 yards and tell us what happened.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I'd be very surprised, as the inertia of the shot should be way different than the fiber wad. Pattern the shotgun from about 25 yards and tell us what happened.
If the wad material is soft the shot will inbedd itself on ignition of the powder.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-30-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:56 PM

Thanks Gunslinger257 ( I just got reported for an inappropriate autocorrect)!
Cat
Old 10-30-2016, 10:41 PM

Default plastic wads

I was using Claybuster #cb5050-410hs plastic wads in 2.5" Winchester and Federal Premium shells. Not sure if this happened in both brands of shells. I don't have my powder info in front of me. I know there was very little recoil in the Mossy 500 we were using. I will do some more testing to see if I can figure out what is going on, and if it is isolated to one brand of shells. We were shooting clays, and it was quite different then a 12 gauge.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:26 PM

It happens with plastic wads reasonably often. When you have wads blasting thru a 30yd target, that is usually the cause. Have seen that in various brands from time to time. And then the word will get around, there is a bad batch of wads out in those rounds. I don't really have any knowledge on it, but, it may be that some are meant for low vel target rounds and there is a maybe a speed threshold that will cause them to stick like that, or perhaps they are just improperly processed and wind up too soft.