Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-29-2016, 12:52 PM

Default 7 rum omg

Ive been after a 7 rum for a while now..and recenty came across a new rem 700 spa stainles for $1k.... but i also found a used one for $1250 ...same rifle but witha muzzle break and a laminate stock...my good judgement its saying get the new ine and upgrade slowly....but my ither side is saying get the expensive one and take a chance...however ive read of much of a barrel burner this guys are... any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2016, 12:57 PM

If the RUM is your cup of tea I'd go for new. Why use a muzzle brake ? Are you using it as a bench rifle?
If your hunting I'd suggest no brake.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:07 PM

I had a 300 rum in a 700,loved it,I am sure the 7mm version would be a lazer.
I would get the new one and get a brake installed or wait and put one on when you burn the throat out of it.
You want to find a load it likes quick.
What twist rate are the 7mm version I think shooting some 180 or 195 bergers would be the cats meow
Old 10-29-2016, 01:15 PM

Get the new one, and forget the brake.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:59 PM

Brakes are just a rifles version of white sunglasses. They make people question your manhood.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Brakes are just a rifles version of white sunglasses. They make people question your manhood.
Some of the most 'manly' men you'd be lucky to meet use braked firearms in the line of duty. I'm assuming that's a joke but if it's not your dead wrong.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:22 AM

I'd get the laminate one with the brake providing the throat is good. Then I'd put a thread cap on the barrel and throw the brake off the High Level bridge.
That rifle will be at least 9 lbs scoped. No need for a brake on that. I had a 700 in 7 RUM in an HS sporter stock and with a 4.5-14 LRT it was 8 lbs 12 oz. It was no problem with recoil. It seemed to recoil the same as my 8lb 7 Rem Mag which is like the average 7-1/2 lb 270-30-06. Save the brakes for hard kickers.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
I'd get the laminate one with the brake providing the throat is good. Then I'd put a thread cap on the barrel and throw the brake off the High Level bridge.
That rifle will be at least 9 lbs scoped. No need for a brake on that. I had a 700 in 7 RUM in an HS sporter stock and with a 4.5-14 LRT it was 8 lbs 12 oz. It was no problem with recoil. It seemed to recoil the same as my 8lb 7 Rem Mag which is like the average 7-1/2 lb 270-30-06. Save the brakes for hard kickers.
And that is the key. Barrel life in 7mmRUM is fairly short, and the barrel heats up very quickly accelerating throat erosion if fired when heated up .If you are unsure about the throat, go with the new gun. I have owned a 7mmRUM as well as six 7mmSTW rifles, and I would never own another 7mmRUM, as the difference in ballistics is very small, considering the amount of extra powder that is used.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:36 AM

I had a rem 7rum sondaro it used 90 some granes of powder and it recoiled so hard it gave me migraines. In awkward shooting positions while hunting i was sure to get scoped. It sure did drop animals with 168 bergers and with the new 195 gr bergers that thing could shoot to the next province. I personally would use a brake and a good one with side ports like the bittle bastard brake, anything with ports on the bottom and with that much power is going to blow snow dirt and grass everywhere.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:49 AM

The ballistic difference from STW to RUM is non existent. It's not that big from 7 Rem Mag to 7 RUM either. An additional 200 or even 300 fps does not flatten trajectory much until the range is way out past the average shooters ability.

Brakes and fat recoil pads seem to be pretty trendy these days. On another site there was a guy selling a laminate stocked M7 in 243 and he recently put a Limbsaver pad on it....what?....I've owned a couple laminate M7's and they are about 8 lbs scoped,...so an 8 lb 243 needs a god awful ugly addition like a Limbsaver?....give me a break.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I had a rem 7rum sondaro it used 90 some granes of powder and it recoiled so hard it gave me migraines. In awkward shooting positions while hunting i was sure to get scoped. It sure did drop animals with 168 bergers and with the new 195 gr bergers that thing could shoot to the next province. I personally would use a brake and a good one with side ports like the bittle bastard brake, anything with ports on the bottom and with that much power is going to blow snow dirt and grass everywhere.
None of my 7mmstw, 7mmRUM, or 300RUM rifles were braked, and I never found recoil to be an issue. And I never was scoped with any of those rifles. If a rifle as heavy as a Sendero causes you migraines when chambered in 7mmRUM, then you definitely are very recoil sensitive.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Some of the most 'manly' men you'd be lucky to meet use braked firearms in the line of duty. I'm assuming that's a joke but if it's not your dead wrong.
line of duty......fyi your on an outdoorsmen forum.....no one is talking about any duty here......hunting rifles........not black ops.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
line of duty......fyi your on an outdoorsmen forum.....no one is talking about any duty here......hunting rifles........not black ops.
And I doubt that many organizations would choose a 7mmRUM for a duty rifle.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Lmao ....... Keeping that punch lines
Old 10-30-2016, 02:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Powder burning snot knocking boom stick!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-30-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
I would hope that guys "in the line of duty" are tough enough to handle the recoil of a 7RUM.
It won't come in a mountain, fly weight rifle.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Yup. This is correct
Old 10-31-2016, 09:42 AM

If a guy wants a muzzle brake , that's on him. I just find them too loud and sending out a shock wave that is unnecessary. I do wear hearing protection. I have only one braked rifle its a 223 rem VTR. Don't worry im gonna cut it off. Its there to reduce muzzle flip?? the loudest 223 ever.

My 338 has no brake.

OP if its for bench shooting buy the brake after the fact. I wouldn't buy a used 7RUM unless I knew its whole history and round count.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Lmfao!!! Comment of the week right here, I'm going to have to use that one.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper