Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2016, 12:31 PM

Smile New hunter

Hello everyone,

I was wondering where I could seek some knowledge on getting into hunting I'm 27 and just went for my first hunt last season, which I am happy to say I got a the only buck we saw all weekend.

I am currently looking to learn how to find land to hunt on or where to start looking in crown land. I live in lacombe and would like to hunt out west.

The main reason I want to look elsewhere from last year's hunt was I went down south and it was not what I would call hunting. Driving through fields from slew bottom to slew bottom. Jumping out and hopefully getting a shot off
Before they run and my friends unload on a running deer. Not my idea of what hunting should be. I fortunately went out early and found my buck wile walking the fields in the morning.

Needless to say I am looking for how to learn to actually hunt but have no family or close friends to guide me in the right direction.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:55 PM

Let me be the first to welcome you.

On a side note I think you would have a better chance of finding someone is the hunting partern thread
Old 07-15-2016, 12:56 PM

When going into any new area , it takes a while to understand where and when moving . Once you get idea then you can hunt .in and around that area try to find some people that will let only foot access , only drive to get something out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Sounds like you and your hunting group had the option to hunt on foot, but chose to drive... all locations allow for the choice to walk instead of driving if you want to. If you dont want to drive and jump out and shoot, then next time park the veh, get out and walk. Some people drive cause they cover more ground while staying warm. Some people enjoy stretching their legs and carrying the appropriate gear for the day. I dont know if theres any known advantage either way of seeing more animals. Both methods have their values.

Good luck with your next hunt. Finding location is a journey for all of us.

Last edited by Nyksta; 07-15-2016 at 01:36 PM.