Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Bring gator and hog meat back from Florida

Headed down to Florida next month for a gator hunt and possibly a hog hunt. Trying to get everything in order so that there is no issues coming back with meat (will leave the skin and head there to be processed and set up after), but haven't found exactly what I was looking for.

Talked to CFIA today and the guy said all I needed was my license for the gator and that hog meat was not allowed. I was under the impression that a CITES form was needed but he says not. When I use the same AIRS program on their website it shows that wild hog meat from Texas was not allowed either and I am positive that I have saw threads of AB hunters bring hog meat back. Maybe this is a recent change?

Any experiences with either wild hog or gator meat coming back from Florida (or the US in general)?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 AM

In 2004-05 i use to camping in Plattsburgh NY. At the time there was a ban on meat from Canada. I was bringing whitetail meat no problem at that time. When asked if i had any meat or fruit i declared the meat and never had anything confiscated at the border. Bit never brought the whole animal either.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:00 AM

I brought a cooler full of hog meat in last year from Texas no issues looked at my Texas Hunting licence and said welcome home
Old 07-15-2016, 07:08 AM

Brought a cooler of hog meat from florida. Didnt need to show a hunting permit becuase florida doesnt require one. Just declare it and be honest and they wont give you a hard time. Went hog hunting twice and have never been taken to secondary for extra inspection