Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2016, 11:59 AM

Default 410 Sheep Hunt

Hey guys,

So I have finally got drawn for 410 sheep in November. I have booked the last two weeks of the season for this and am pretty excited. With that said, I know this will be a very difficult hunt. My question is this...While I know it is probably best to set up a camp up in the mountains is it possible to pull a travel trailer to town and hike out from there every day? Has anyone here ever done something similar to this and been successful?

DJ
Old 07-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Goodluck! I can't wait to read your story and see some pics. The only thing with camping down low is hiking back up to the top everyday. This hunt looks very extreme and I plan to get drawn in a few years. If you can PM me any tips after your hunt that would've appreciated.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
Goodluck! I can't wait to read your story and see some pics. The only thing with camping down low is hiking back up to the top everyday. This hunt looks very extreme and I plan to get drawn in a few years. If you can PM me any tips after your hunt that would've appreciated.
I'll do that!

I'm not opposed to al the hiking but in the snowy conditions it will be much more of a chore I know.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:17 PM

Hunted 410 in 2012 and 2013. Love hunting the area. Have scouted all the major drainages. We ended up packing in a camp. We were not able to connect on a ram though. Maybe next time. I will be back. For day hikes you can definitely go up Pigeon mountain (So can everyone else though so it's really busy I hear. Never hunted it only scouted it). Don't forget, the daylight hours are really short in November it's nice to maxmize your time in sheep country.
Exshaw creek is a pretty long hike to get to sheep country. Closer to Canmore there are a lot of no hunting areas besides the 800m from highway 1A. Check with the conservation officer in town. He was great to deal with. They have a map with an overlay of all of the no hunting zones. The town of Canmore is kind of frustrating to deal with. They probably won't appreciate you parking and staying in a trailer in town. We stayed in a hotel the night before going up and the night after coming down so that the hotel would let us park the truck in their lot. Hope you have a great hunt! And better luck than I did. You certainly wont regret it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me on mountain.jpg (145.7 KB, 329 views)
Old 07-13-2016, 09:08 PM

I'm sitting at a 9 this year myself & a buddy. We're thinking of scouting this year a few times before drawing for the tag. Look forward to hearing how you do.... I'm glad to hear the CO in the area has an overlay map for the no-go zones... Goodluck to you!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:26 PM

We stayed in out trailer arcade adman Flats but that was '92
There is a subdivision now where we were glassing in one area !
Cat
Old 07-14-2016, 05:35 AM

Does anyone know if you can use horses on this hunt? Are there trails going up the drainages. Or is it too rough for horses? Just curious because I'm P 10.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantd View Post
Hunted 410 in 2012 and 2013. Love hunting the area. Have scouted all the major drainages. We ended up packing in a camp. We were not able to connect on a ram though. Maybe next time. I will be back. For day hikes you can definitely go up Pigeon mountain (So can everyone else though so it's really busy I hear. Never hunted it only scouted it). Don't forget, the daylight hours are really short in November it's nice to maxmize your time in sheep country.
Exshaw creek is a pretty long hike to get to sheep country. Closer to Canmore there are a lot of no hunting areas besides the 800m from highway 1A. Check with the conservation officer in town. He was great to deal with. They have a map with an overlay of all of the no hunting zones. The town of Canmore is kind of frustrating to deal with. They probably won't appreciate you parking and staying in a trailer in town. We stayed in a hotel the night before going up and the night after coming down so that the hotel would let us park the truck in their lot. Hope you have a great hunt! And better luck than I did. You certainly wont regret it.
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking more along the lines of staying in one of the RV parks in town but not sure of their open at that time of the year. Will have to do some calling around. I'm wondering if there is a campground close to a trail head...?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:17 PM

hunted there many years ago backpacked up cougar creek parked at the trail head went up the canyons days hike only to find a outfitter wall tent flown in by helicopter farther up the canyons above the wall tent i ran into the us hunter being guided talked to him for a while he was watching a herd of sheep with one not legal ram in it so the next day went up the next canyon same thing another wall tent on the side of the mountain .saw a few yews another backpacker with a friend hauling in a second backpack full of stuff for the guy hunting sheep then he was going to walk out and come back for his friend a week later good idea i thought .I would camp in your trailer in what ever campsite you find to have it for a base but i would also bring a back pack and everything you need to spend a few nights on the mountain
Old 07-14-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs100bert View Post
hunted there many years ago backpacked up cougar creek parked at the trail head went up the canyons days hike only to find a outfitter wall tent flown in by helicopter farther up the canyons above the wall tent i ran into the us hunter being guided talked to him for a while he was watching a herd of sheep with one not legal ram in it so the next day went up the next canyon same thing another wall tent on the side of the mountain .saw a few yews another backpacker with a friend hauling in a second backpack full of stuff for the guy hunting sheep then he was going to walk out and come back for his friend a week later good idea i thought .I would camp in your trailer in what ever campsite you find to have it for a base but i would also bring a back pack and everything you need to spend a few nights on the mountain
That sounds like a great idea!