Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Default wild pigs

A friend and I are thinking about hunting for wild pigs in Alberta . we are from Calgary and have been hunting for years aprox 39 years each.well we are wondering where and when you can hunt these pigs and if some one needed to get rid of a few .
Old 06-26-2016, 11:12 AM

Old 06-26-2016, 11:38 AM

You said your from Calgary? Don't need to go very far. Just head over to the T&C anytime after 11.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
You said your from Calgary? Don't need to go very far. Just head over to the T&C anytime after 11.
Probably their best chance of success.

Grizz
Old 06-26-2016, 11:59 AM

They are very intelligent nocturnal animals. I hunt in an area that has a decent number and have never seen one in the daylight ever. Its more luck than anything.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
They are very intelligent nocturnal animals. I hunt in an area that has a decent number and have never seen one in the daylight ever. Its more luck than anything.

Municipalities in Alberta have no patience with wild pigs, for good reason. Bring wild boar into Mountainview and it's a 4000. fine for a first offense.

Grizz
Old 06-26-2016, 12:18 PM

Just to spice the thread up, last weekends hunting trip, Taranaki NZ.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicp View Post
A friend and I are thinking about hunting for wild pigs in Alberta . we are from Calgary and have been hunting for years aprox 39 years each.well we are wondering where and when you can hunt these pigs and if some one needed to get rid of a few .
lets see that's aprox 78 years between you two good luck and happy hunting
Old 06-27-2016, 09:54 AM

Do yourself a favour and book a hunt in Texas or the Carolinas. You will spend less and shoot WAY more pigs.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:20 PM

I hear calgary zoo has a couple exotic creatures from around the world no need to go to texas or NZ...
Old 07-14-2016, 05:56 PM

Any spots close to edmonton for wild pig?
Old 07-14-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. awesome View Post
Any spots close to edmonton for wild pig?
MeyerThorpe
Old 07-14-2016, 07:49 PM

No such thing as wild pig in AB. I'm sure there's a few feral ones running around but good luck with getting any info on em
Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Geeze don't come to Montana then. Its now illegal to hunt feral swine down here. I imagine that is to prevent people from opening their gates and letting everything run free so they can chase a few pigs.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhunterjp View Post
MeyerThorpe
Thank you . Trying to get as much info for places . Buddy of mine wants to go for pig this year and I honestly have never looked into it until he mentioned he wanted to do a pig roast
Old 07-16-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Geeze don't come to Montana then. Its now illegal to hunt feral swine down here. I imagine that is to prevent people from opening their gates and letting everything run free so they can chase a few pigs.
So, what's the reasoning behind that ?

Grizz
Old 07-16-2016, 08:52 AM

I know in Arizona and a number of other places it is illegal to guide or charge access fees to hunt pigs, but the pigs themselves are open 24/7 for anybody to shoot. These areas don't want people turning pigs loose to make a hunting revenue like what happened in Texas.

The idea that you can't hunt would pigs at all is odd. Like Grizz, I would love to know the reasoning behind this.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
No such thing as wild pig in AB. I'm sure there's a few feral ones running around but good luck with getting any info on em
x2
Old 07-16-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, what's the reasoning behind that ?

Grizz
Not sure, Its a relatively new statute passed last year by legislature. I imagine it is because they don't want people introducing them purely so we can have them here to hunt. Kinda like bucket biologists who transplant fish so they can have them closer to home rather than drive to get Walleye or Pike etc...

81-29-101. Definitions. As used in this part, unless the context indicates otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Board" means the board of livestock provided for in 2-15-3102.
(2) "Feral swine" means a hog, boar, or pig that appears to be untamed, undomesticated, or in a wild state or appears to be contained for commercial hunting or trapping.

1-29-102. Control of feral swine. A person, a state agency, or a federal agency authorized by the state or the federal government is allowed to control or eradicate feral swine.

81-29-103. Presence of feral swine -- notification -- immediate threat. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who believes feral swine are present on private or public property shall notify the board and, if authorized, assist in the control or eradication of the feral swine.
(2) A person or the person's agent who encounters feral swine on property owned or leased by that person may immediately eradicate the feral swine if the feral swine:
(a) poses an immediate threat of harm to a person or property; or
(b) will expand its range without immediate eradication.
(3) A person who eradicates a feral swine pursuant to subsection (2) shall notify the board as soon as practicable, but no later than the limit established by board rule. The person shall follow instructions provided by the board, including but not limited to the handling, preservation for testing, or disposal of the carcass.

81-29-104. Prohibitions. The following actions are prohibited:
(1) importing, transporting, or possessing live feral swine;
(2) intentionally, knowingly, or negligently allowing swine to live in a feral state;
(3) except as provided in 81-29-102 and 81-29-103, hunting, trapping, or killing a feral swine or assisting in hunting, trapping, or killing a feral swine;
(4) intentionally feeding a feral swine;
(5) expanding the range of a feral swine; and
(6) profiting from the release, hunting, trapping, or killing of a feral swine.

81-29-105. Penalties for violations. A person violating the provisions of 81-29-104 is subject to:
(1) a fine of at least $2,000 but not more than $10,000 for each violation; and
(2) repayment of costs incurred by a state or federal agency for the control or eradication of a feral swine as a result of the person's violation.

81-29-106. Authority -- costs -- rulemaking. (1) The board is authorized to control and eradicate feral swine and may establish rules to implement the reporting requirements of 81-29-103.
(2) The cost of enforcement actions under this part must be paid from the general fund if the cost to the department exceeds $1,000 and federal funds are not available to pay the excess costs.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:46 PM

Ford

Thanks for the extra work. That reads a lot like some of the other states that are trying to stop people from spreading feral swine on purpose. Surprised they haven't written in the German and other wild Boar versions into the same statute. Only big difference here seems to be the control on people just shooting them on sight. I think they may want to change that in the near future if the problem starts spreading very fast.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:56 PM

Thanks, I guess by their logic, better to let the pros or landowners deal with it.

Grizz