Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-11-2016, 12:59 PM

Default A good day for Alberta's Caribou

Looks like maybe we are making some headway towards securing the caribous future in Alberta. It's a start but will it really make a difference?

http://www.jwnenergy.com/article/201...#axzz4B2ImrxWQ
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-11-2016, 02:35 PM

Its easier now for them to say this the second time. There is nothing more they can damage. They logged it out ,and placed all the roads in there that they need for all the new gas plants they just finished .

I think its all smoke and mirrors and the energy companies just paid them off to keep their study going and to but more gas in their helicopters to shot those wolfs.

Last edited by -JR-; 06-11-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:01 PM

They count all the lines as linear disturbances. Biologists have a theory on this that it creates an edge that the animals do not go near. For critical wildlife areas the set limits are .2 lin km per sq km.
so now if there are lots of well heads and oil field roads you will be over the numbers. Get rid of the seismic lines. Easier then the roads.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:30 PM

For those who want some details on the proposed Caribou recovery plans.

SETTING ALBERTA ON THE PATH TO CARIBOU RECOVERY

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...y-May-2016.pdf

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 PM

This last winter we headed north of Calling lake to see if we could find any caribou. We went up what we call the Husky road or Amadu lake road until the chain linked gate, unloaded the sleds and with extra gas made a full day of it. It took about 50 km before we cut the first track and then there was consistant, but sparse tracks as we headed further north. We headed east and then south and also saw a consistant amount of wolf track on the cut lines. Not alot of deer up there, but still managed to find four wolf killed deer, or what was left of them. Those wolves are hungry because they don't leave much for the magpies. After 120km and within 25 of the truck we hit sled tracks and they were from a traper. Only about two km further we came across a wolves set, but the sad part was that there was a yearling caribou cow in a wolf snare. She had not been touched by anything larger than a bird. Sad way to end our day. I think the best way to deal with the wolves is to allow us hunters to take as many as we can, (I got one this last winter) and then use choppers to do the rest. This gaurentees only wolves are targeted, with no "by catch". I did report the finding to the Fish & Game with details on the location so they could track down the trapper to get more info if they needed too. They never called me back, nor did I followed up with them.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
For those who want some details on the proposed Caribou recovery plans.

SETTING ALBERTA ON THE PATH TO CARIBOU RECOVERY

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...y-May-2016.pdf
Vary good read .
I do agree we need to remove the wolfs/bears from these areas.
Should be an open season on wolfs/bears all year around and one should be allowed to let the fur go to waste if one wishes to in these areas as i have hunted in there and seen many and did not shot because i did not have a tag .
Just something to think about.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:31 AM
Banned

What about a bounty on wolves?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
What about a bounty on wolves?
How would they know it came from those zones ?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:33 AM

bounty would help a lot. Trappers for the most part don't target wolves. They are not worth the hassle and take a pile of work to do it right. If there was a bounty on them a trapper could collect it would make it more appealing and there would be a lot more trappers chasing them.
Problem with Bounties is making sure that the wolves come from the target area.
Why do we need it area specific though? Why not an all out war on these beasts over the whole province? There are a lot of issues with species other than caribou
Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 AM

The entire province is over run with wolves now. In my 50 years of hunting and trapping through most of Alberta I have never seen so much wolf sign. Unless we set up a bounty system and get hunters and trappers lowering their numbers we might as well kiss ungulate hunting goodby in the future.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Default Incentive

Why not make some kind of incentive to reduce the wolf population generally?
What would happen if the government offered one priority point, for each wolf, to be placed in any draw of the hunters choice, to those hunters who successfully harvest and register a wolf. It would not actually cost the government anything other that the administration paperwork.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatskin View Post
What would happen if the government offered one priority point, for each wolf, to be placed in any draw of the hunters choice, to those hunters who successfully harvest and register a wolf. It would not actually cost the government anything other that the administration paperwork.
Now that's one I haven't heard. That would get me out there for sure!
Old 06-14-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatskin View Post
How about turn in a wolf before you can purchase any draw

LC
Old 06-15-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
How about turn in a wolf before you can purchase any draw

LC
That sounds a lot like the suggestion i made a while back and you responded that it was an absurd idea. But at over 10 posts a day for 5 years you probably get your ideas crossed

Last edited by Nyksta; 06-15-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 PM

If we want to help the caribou out then we need some serious wolf culling going on. Wolves need to be managed just like any other species. They can eat themselves out of house and home if left unchecked. I know a statement like this will make a lot of the wolf loving fanatics very uncomfortable. But who cares. I like to see a healthy ungulate population around myself, and if I had to choose would take a healthy elk or moose herd over a healthy wolf population......
Old 06-16-2016, 11:07 AM

http://www.cenovus.com/news/our-stor...n-Alberta.html

Lots of companies recognizing the need to improve the impacts of man on the caribou habitant.

$32 million over 10 years isn't chump change. Especially in this economy. Good stuff.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Banned

I read somewhere that it costs the Alberta government about $30K to kill one wolf with their program. Make the bounties significant in comparison to that amount and the bounty program will undoubtedly work. How many guys would target wolves if the bounty was $1K? LOTS!

Also, with the bounties that I know of, only residents of that particular area qualify for the bounty. If they found a way to allow Albertans living in other areas to collect the bounty more hunters and trappers would target wolves in the effected areas.

I know that some residents wouldn't be happy about outsiders coming in to target "their" wolves but if the goal is to reduce the wolf population, then I think that it would be beneficial.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
They count all the lines as linear disturbances. Biologists have a theory on this that it creates an edge that the animals do not go near. For critical wildlife areas the set limits are .2 lin km per sq km.
so now if there are lots of well heads and oil field roads you will be over the numbers. Get rid of the seismic lines. Easier then the roads.
That is just about the silliest theory I have ever heard of. Caribou use seismic lines and cut lines as travel corridors just like a lot of other animals.
Those particular biologists need to stop smoking whatever it is they are smoking and venture out of their offices into the outdoors for a change.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
That is just about the silliest theory I have ever heard of. Caribou use seismic lines and cut lines as travel corridors just like a lot of other animals.
Those particular biologists need to stop smoking whatever it is they are smoking and venture out of their offices into the outdoors for a change.
I agree, I also think that if they intend to build a fence to calve them out and are closing a lot of ANC's FMA to save 40 some caribou, relocation would be a better strategy. The amount of money that will be wasted and the loss of jobs with at least one mill shutting down if it is implemented just doesn't make sense to try and save habitat for so few animals when there is far better places for them to be.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:06 AM

They do some great work out there. Killing all the wolfs should be the number one think on their list as these Caribou are very timid animals .Here is a picture I took just a few miles from one of their study areas. As you can see they just walked out in front of my truck and started to feed around my truck.
You can just see my mirror on the right.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:14 AM

Those bou are doomed. The damage to the country is done. They all will die slowly with or without the wolves.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:51 AM

Default caribou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Those bou are doomed. The damage to the country is done. They all will die slowly with or without the wolves.
Agreed. In this area, the habitat was destroyed years ago, and the fires took care of the rest.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:13 AM

To me the most damage done is the logging. The logging in this province is such an eyesore. I wish there was a better way of doing business
Old 06-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Default Managing Wolves

All the armchair experts want to "manage wolves" and the best they can come up with is a bounty. Bounties have proven to be complete failures over and over again. What can be done to manage, meaning reduce wolf numbers? Does it have to be socially acceptable and actually reduce numbers or just pacify a few that know nothing about the population dynamics of wolves but would enjoy a little "incentive" in their pockets? These people are in for a very rude awakening over the next few years. The availability of prey and nothing else will regulate their numbers.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:24 PM

I dunno, it seems to me like many provinces have an abundance of wolves, while most do not have their Caribou threatened to the same extent as Alberta. As well, our Caribou have been on the decline since well before the wolf population exploded to its current state.

So what does Alberta have that other provinces don't? Lots of development in what used to be wilderness, that's what. IMO unless we are willing to stop development there is absolutely no point wasting resources on saving the caribou population. Reclaiming the development that they no longer use is a better idea than many others that I have heard, but until we have any sort of plan to halt development in the few areas that Caribou still inhabit any attempt at all to help the caribou is little more than a placebo.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:31 PM

Wildlife is managed for "social acceptability" .......replace them with elk and bison.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lazy View Post
All the armchair experts want to "manage wolves" and the best they can come up with is a bounty. Bounties have proven to be complete failures over and over again. What can be done to manage, meaning reduce wolf numbers? Does it have to be socially acceptable and actually reduce numbers or just pacify a few that know nothing about the population dynamics of wolves but would enjoy a little "incentive" in their pockets? These people are in for a very rude awakening over the next few years. The availability of prey and nothing else will regulate their numbers.
What's your idea then Dwight? Still wondering what you spent YOUR Wolf Incentive money on.

Crazy Lazy is a real fit as a handle.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I dunno, it seems to me like many provinces have an abundance of wolves, while most do not have their Caribou threatened to the same extent as Alberta. As well, our Caribou have been on the decline since well before the wolf population exploded to its current state.

So what does Alberta have that other provinces don't? Lots of development in what used to be wilderness, that's what. IMO unless we are willing to stop development there is absolutely no point wasting resources on saving the caribou population. Reclaiming the development that they no longer use is a better idea than many others that I have heard, but until we have any sort of plan to halt development in the few areas that Caribou still inhabit any attempt at all to help the caribou is little more than a placebo.
It if was just that then the willmore , jasper , wood Buffalo..... Would have lots of caribou. Its a lot more complicated, than that.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 06-19-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
What's your idea then Dwight? Still wondering what you spent YOUR Wolf Incentive money on.

Crazy Lazy is a real fit as a handle.
HAHA , I had him pegged as soon as he opened his mouth. Not sure why he wastes his time on here really. I don't see hunters going on Anti hunting sites trying to change their minds lol

Looks like his Bla Bla Bla is loosing steam in the public eye pretty fast as well...

And Martinnordeg did he actually get any money? I thought he was trying to pull a fast one and didn't end up with any but I could be wrong.....
Old 06-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
HAHA , I had him pegged as soon as he opened his mouth. Not sure why he wastes his time on here really. I don't see hunters going on Anti hunting sites trying to change their minds lol

Looks like his Bla Bla Bla is loosing steam in the public eye pretty fast as well...

And Martinnordeg did he actually get any money? I thought he was trying to pull a fast one and didn't end up with any but I could be wrong.....

He should have stayed over in the fishing section for a while longer. Yes he did collect Wolf Incentive money. So passionate about collecting he even went to Court to get it.

Crazy Lazy is fitting though isn't it?