Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2015, 04:52 PM

Hey guys,
I put a WTB ad on the Buy & Sell and had a guy with username "soundpawns" get in touch with me on a really good deal. I asked for pictures and he sent me a few from what looked like an online auction site, and some of the images say "CAF Sales".

His email address is idesotoholdings@gmail.com, so it's pretty close to what has been posted here before.

Also, as soon as I asked for more pictures or info he went quiet...

Just FYI
Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Hey guys,
I put a WTB ad on the Buy & Sell and had a guy with username "soundpawns" get in touch with me on a really good deal. I asked for pictures and he sent me a few from what looked like an online auction site, and some of the images say "CAF Sales".

His email address is idesotoholdings@gmail.com, so it's pretty close to what has been posted here before.

Also, as soon as I asked for more pictures or info he went quiet...

Just FYI
Report it. That is the same guy that has my $1150!!!! He's a crook. Same exact email address.

MODS... come on! ...this is ridiculous! SOMEBODY oughtta be able to set him up & get him in a sting type of deal-- there has-to be "authorities" reading this thread by now???
Old 11-08-2015, 06:26 PM

The same guy goes by the username gunpreacher on CGN. He recently asked for some detailed pictures of the TRG 42 I have for sale. So now the guy has some really nice detailed close-ups of my rifle. Buyer beware.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Banned

Interesting thread. I'd just like to say tha sending someone that you don't know an EMT is just like sending cash or a Western Union money transfer.....Just don't do it.

All of my transaction on AO have gone excellent, both buying and selling. One time though, I sent a longtime, regular contributor a $50 item and told him to send me a payment whenever he got a chance. Months went by with several pm's going unanswered and no activity on AO, I knew something was seriously wrong. Long story short......the fellas was in dire straits and his Daughter ended up tracking me down to settle up. He's never returned to AO and I sometimes wondered if he has passed away. No names no pack drill but his AO handle may be abbreviated as SSR.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordevr View Post
I could be wrong but I think someone by the username Dsoto screwed me over. How many other ppl have lost money? I thought I checked him out but now that I think about it I'm an idiot. Only has one post on here. I sent money and haven't heard from them since. That was 4 days ago. Said there from Manitoba. GAH !!!

The moderators can provide you with his IP address that was used to post the add and send messages, if he used a Canadian ip then it can be traced to a mailing address. If not, well you pretty much lost your money and there's not much that you can do about it.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:49 AM

Default Actually

Actually, the prevention for this in the future is that this person scammed multiple times, and others saw new ads up and current, but could not post on the add to make others aware. We can't watch each others backs with the present system.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel S. View Post
The moderators can provide you with his IP address that was used to post the add and send messages, if he used a Canadian ip then it can be traced to a mailing address. If not, well you pretty much lost your money and there's not much that you can do about it.
Right, but as I mentioned earlier, many scammers purposely use proxy-servers to do their dirty deeds. And with privacy laws in effect, I wouldn't be surprised that mods cannot give out IP addresses even if they wanted to. Unfortunately in this day and age, one must be super vigilant and on their toes.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:22 AM

True
Old 02-17-2016, 01:11 AM

Been awhile since I looked at this tread. What I have learned is this:

1) if you post a iso ad be very careful. They make themselves sound very legit and have pics and stolen pal's and someone else's name.

2) if you do get scammed your not getting your money back or the chances are very slim to nil.

3) Going to the police basically made me feel like an idiot and was a waste of my time.

4) Making sure someone has a pal by having them text or email a pic of the pal is useless because if the guy is legit you don't need to worry about it and if he's a scammer, well I'm guessing it's not his pal. If someone wants your pal only show it to them in person. DO NOT EMAIL OR TEXT YOUR PAL.

5) Just because they have a good feedback that doesn't mean anything...if you were scamming ppl for $5000-$10000 a month you would take the time to make it look good too. It can all be faked so beware.

6) learn from it and move on.

Hope this helps someone else.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:

1) if you post a iso ad be very careful. They make themselves sound very legit and have pics and stolen pal's and someone else's name.

2) if you do get scammed your not getting your money back or the chances are very slim to nil.

3) Going to the police basically made me feel like an idiot and was a waste of my time.

4) Making sure someone has a pal by having them text or email a pic of the pal is useless because if the guy is legit you don't need to worry about it and if he's a scammer, well I'm guessing it's not his pal. If someone wants your pal only show it to them in person. DO NOT EMAIL OR TEXT YOUR PAL.

5) Just because they have a good feedback that doesn't mean anything...if you were scamming ppl for $5000-$10000 a month you would take the time to make it look good too. It can all be faked so beware.

I've had the exact same experience as you, except it was on CGN. I was scammed out of $550.00, and the Winnipeg Police Service / RCMP / Bank couldn't do anything. I'll give it up for the WPS though, they definitely tried. I got a phone call a few months later from the same investigator telling me unfortunately he couldn't trace the guy -- these scammers are good at faking phone numbers with different technology, emails, IP addresses, you name it.

I now do very little dealing online anymore -- you just can't trust people unfortunately. I actually plan on selling my last item, a bow, and then getting out of dealing online altogether. It isn't worth the risk, even doing your due diligence.

Fordevr has some great advice! One more thing I'll add is if you do plan on buying it, ask them to take a picture of the item with a piece of paper and your name / date on it. That can at least verify they actually have the item for sale. It still is up to them whether or not they will actually send it.

It's unfortunate. A man's word used to be worth something!

Cheers, everyone.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:16 PM

Actually did see an ad from someone with less than the required number of posts on this site a few days ago . Seemed strange.

Grizz
Old 02-17-2016, 06:06 PM

Scammers can **** off and die for all I care.

I'm kinda new here but have been on cgn for years and have a decent trader rating. Another thing to look at is their posts. If a member has a decent post count talking about guns or whatever the forum is about it's a plus.

You can be vigilant as hell and still get scammed though. I've been lucky so far.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:

What happens sometimes is you get accustomed to straight forward deals . I have bought dozens of things off here and cgn with no probs . I put out a wtb ad for a DNZ mount i could not find anywhere, guy answered my ad. Got hosed for $80 . I became too trusting . I'm also on a Ford forum and a 4x4 forum and people get scammed there from time to time. That's why i'm convinced there are groups working over these hobbies websites .
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 PM

Default Blackie9999

I think I sold him a rifle. It shows 2012 as a date I gave feedback so it probably was a Norinco I got rid of. If I recall it went smoothly but I was the seller. This thread has me thinking though as I do all sorts of purchases on here.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 PM

I've never bought or sold online through this site but how about getting the picture of the persons pal and then asking them to send a picture of themself with a piece of paper with the curent date written on it?

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Actually did see an ad from someone with less than the required number of posts on this site a few days ago . Seemed strange.

Grizz
Just saw one this morning. Had 16 posts or something. Weird.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
I've never bought or sold online through this site but how about getting the picture of the persons pal and then asking them to send a picture of themself with a piece of paper with the curent date written on it?
The scammer will just send you an image of somebody else's PAL that they got through the course of their scamming. I think one way around that would be to ask for the ID to be held up in a photo next to their face and also including a hand written note saying something you've requested. They could still scam a pic of someone holding up a PAL but not with the custom note included.

Might be time to even ask for smartphone screenshots of heir time-stamped GPS locations, so many scammers are/claim to be selling from out of province but are not even where they claim to be. One fraudster last week had Ontario on his profile and was scamming from Langley.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
I was thinking the same but all the scammer would do is get suckers like me to send them pic of myself holding up the pal by my face so they have proof and then send the same pic to you. Plus with photo shop and other programs out there anyone can fake stuff. A pro scammer will blow your mind what they are capable of. A 3D printer can make anything. Technology is amazing and a curse.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The scammer will just send you an image of somebody else's PAL that they got through the course of their scamming. I think one way around that would be to ask for the ID to be held up in a photo next to their face and also including a hand written note saying something you've requested. They could still scam a pic of someone holding up a PAL but not with the custom note included.

Might be time to even ask for smartphone screenshots of heir time-stamped GPS locations, so many scammers are/claim to be selling from out of province but are not even where they claim to be. One fraudster last week had Ontario on his profile and was scamming from Langley.
Got to be careful giving your location be cause then theft becomes a problem. Someone that is innocent gives there location to a scammer or a thief and now you have bigger problems. Not 1 but all your gun collection is gone. I've heard many ppl meet at rcmp detachments to protect them selves. It's a sick sick world.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:53 AM

I also sold a rifle to Blackie9999 a couple of years ago and it was hassle free (never left me an iTrader though)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 PM

Default Latest scam attempt?

Gun sold on Supra forums in 2011.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=285530

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...Optic-amp-MORE
Old 10-29-2016, 07:48 PM

Default Another scammer or legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbotism View Post
This is the same guy who sent me a message on the weekend saying that he has the scope that I am looking, he asked me to send me the payment thru EMT. I insisted to send it thru Paypal for safer transaction but he didnt like it.
Asked him if he has reference from AO he said nothin from AO but CGN, so I checked CGN the name nicestuffs..on his first post he's from BC but he told that he's from Manitoba, then checked his ratings there is one post giving him 5 stars and posted it same day he told me about he's CGN account, so I checked the poster and yes it could be "nicestuffs" account too because the poster said he is from BC. From my investigation I can tell that he is a certified scammer!!
I recently put a wanted ad for a m3500 Stoeger and got a response from mcruddy. Said he's from bc and when I offered to have a buddy goto his house and pick up the rifle, I never heard back. Anyone know who this is. I think it's another scammer or even the same one that got me last time. Said he's in Langley, BC
Old 10-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM View Post
I got scammed badly on this forum earlier this year and yes I will say the Mods/Administrators on this forum were not of any help, most did not even reply.

I filed the appropriate things with the police but like everyone else here, these scammers are just reusing our stolen identities to come across as valid users. I verified the PAL and everything that was sent to me. was valid, but just stolen from a victim like me.

I felt I did my due diligence, but I was just too trusting. So many flawless transactions on here and never a problem on CGN. Totally soured the experience.

Likely an organized ring of people doing this.

This guy better wish he doesnt get caught. I have the luxury of lots of days off, and next to free flights around Canada. I will find him / them and will show up at their trials.
if you want a mod to converse with you, say a 'bad' word. gets attention quite quickly. i had an issue with a guy a couple years back and may as well have told my story to my dog.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
if you want a mod to converse with you, say a 'bad' word. gets attention quite quickly. i had an issue with a guy a couple years back and may as well have told my story to my dog.
I try to help anyone I can, especially with issues like scammers.
It seems that Blackie9999 did business with several of us here but for some reason I thought he was in Alberta t the time, not B.C.

Didn't he run some sort of surplus tore?
Cat
Old 10-29-2016, 11:03 PM

I try to use Canada post money order or bank draft. Name has to match the address and PAL or it doesn't get sent. Not 100% fool proof, better than emt. Kind of hard to cash it at a bank without ID or an account, even money mart wants 2 peices of ID to get cashed.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I just checked the
Membership list and there is no one by that handle.
He could not have advertised on the exchange with only on post.
Different forum maybe?
Cat
I've seen two people on buy and sell posting with under ten posts, I reported the post and it was removed, there must be a glitch at times.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I try to help anyone I can, especially with issues like scammers.
It seems that Blackie9999 did business with several of us here but for some reason I thought he was in Alberta t the time, not B.C.

Didn't he run some sort of surplus tore?
Cat
my comment was before your time cat.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I've seen two people on buy and sell posting with under ten posts, I reported the post and it was removed, there must be a glitch at times.
There are members' posts that were grandfathered in because they were members before that rule was made .
I did not realize it myself until recently
Cat
Old 10-30-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
my comment was before your time cat.
I realize that , duceman, I am still trying to get my head around the number of members that did business with Bkackie9999 (you and I being two)and then - BOOM! deal gone bad!
Cat
Old 10-30-2016, 12:00 PM

it is weird, i don't give out trader ratings lightly, obviously it worked out for me

2. #1 is true.