Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-30-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
No, I checked. They need a Police Order or court order or something to give you that information (can't remember exactly what they said, it was a year ago).
RCMP told me there is a possibility part-of (or all) the funds can be recovered by the banks if it were reported to them early enough... so I reported this desoto incident and they are currently working on trying to retrieve what "I" am out-- What happens and whether I get my money back though all remains to be seen. And so far no news.

In Darren's case, being that-that long ago, it likely means it's too late. He may be S-O-L altogether.

Me, I have my hopes back at least... still a chance the lousy ***** might lose the funds he scheemed out of us. And that would be nice...
Throwin' a loop around his ankles and dragging him up a creek behind that big grey horse in my avatar would be even better.. but, it is what it is-- getting my money back would satisfy me all on its own. Cops can do what they wish with him if they can catch him-- ...creek would be my-way, if I had it*
Old 10-30-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I have dealt with Sean (Blackie9999) and it went.....well. I had to fight to get the halfwit to finish the registration back in the day.

If he owes you $2500 I`d chase that down. Give me a second and see if I have his info still..........
That's good to know, thanks. It's odd he hasn't log on here in 18 months, maybe something did happen to him. I hope not.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:41 PM

Good luck whiskywillow, please let us know if you are able to recover anything.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2015, 09:22 AM

Emt is one of the least secure/safe methods of sending money, not much different than sending cash via mail. As well, what happened is Fraud, regardless of whether the RC's want to deal with it or not ( telling you buyer beware ) it is Fraud. If you run into a road block when first reporting it go up the chain. It is a criminal offence. Good luck to you!!!
Old 11-01-2015, 09:42 AM

I got scammed badly on this forum earlier this year and yes I will say the Mods/Administrators on this forum were not of any help, most did not even reply.

I filed the appropriate things with the police but like everyone else here, these scammers are just reusing our stolen identities to come across as valid users. I verified the PAL and everything that was sent to me. was valid, but just stolen from a victim like me.

I felt I did my due diligence, but I was just too trusting. So many flawless transactions on here and never a problem on CGN. Totally soured the experience.

Likely an organized ring of people doing this.

This guy better wish he doesnt get caught. I have the luxury of lots of days off, and next to free flights around Canada. I will find him / them and will show up at their trials.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:28 AM

I reported dsoto to Admin on Oct.28. They replied that there appeared something 'fishy' about him.
I refused to EMT the money and the deal went south. Looks like I lucked out.
He said he was from Riverton MB and his name was James?
Old 11-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Banned

I've never been ripped off, not on AO nor CGN. But I only purchase from people I know or those with a long tenure and much positive feedback. I wish you best of luck in recovering some of your $. Having a buy/sell section in the forum is a great tool for us to have. But as with anything else, it only takes a few loosers to ruin a good thing.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=trapperdodge;3017281]I reported dsoto to Admin on Oct.28. They replied that there appeared something 'fishy' about him.
I refused to EMT the money and the deal went south. Looks like I lucked out.
He said he was from Riverton MB and his name was James?[/QUOTE]

Dirty lousy S.O.B

Verifies 100% he used my-name too right after Joel's! Appreciate you posting that trapper.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:24 PM

Isn't there someway to track these parasites using their IP address? Or is that just on TV
Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 PM

I got scammed on here about a year ago or so for $1200.00. The RCMP wouldn't do anything for me. I don't understand it and from what I can tell these guys can rack up a big scam in one ad, to the tune of $10000 easily. Why aren't the police interested in catching these people? I would think an EMT is traceable. These guys could be earning 2-300,000 a year easily. That's not chump change!

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 11-02-2015, 12:51 PM

ACC the best guess as to why they wouldnt do anything with it is either they dont know the law or it's laziness. It is without a shadow of a doubt FRAUD.

Criminal Code of Canada:

Marginal note:Fraud

380. (1) Every one who, by deceit, falsehood or other fraudulent means, whether or not it is a false pretence within the meaning of this Act, defrauds the public or any person, whether ascertained or not, of any property, money or valuable security or any service,
(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a term of imprisonment not exceeding fourteen years, where the subject-matter of the offence is a testamentary instrument or the value of the subject-matter of the offence exceeds five thousand dollars; or
(b) is guilty
(i) of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or
(ii) of an offence punishable on summary conviction,
where the value of the subject-matter of the offence does not exceed five thousand dollars.

Now even if they did begin an investigation, there is no certainty to the outcome, nor any certainty in getting your money back. A guy on a forum using a false name could be difficult to track down. But money transactions between banks are traceable. Money leaves your account at your bank and has to be placed into another account of the recipient of the money. This is able to be discovered through a Production Order, which is essentially a search warrant for information in this case. Now at the recipients end the financial institution there presumably would have required the person to supply identification in order to open the account. Unfortunately we dont know if that ID is false as well, which presumably it very well could be.

Ensure that you have everything as well documented as you can and if the officer wont take your report, request to speak to his supervisor or get his supervisors contact info. Work your way up the chain as these incidents should definitely be investigated.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Default scammers

i don't know about desoto...however i know exactly where Sean (Blackie9999) is.
it was all over the news...he had a online business on CGN with alot of bad feedback ...and all of a sudden it was all over the news that sean was arrested in manitoba by the rcmp for gun smuggling and thrown in jail...so start there
zeek
Old 11-02-2015, 01:21 PM

Blackie9999 is active on CGN last post was 10-13-2015

Gibsons,BC

Are you sure its the same guy?

Feedback is 126 (100%)
Old 11-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
i don't know about desoto...however i know exactly where Sean (Blackie9999) is.
it was all over the news...he had a online business on CGN with alot of bad feedback ...and all of a sudden it was all over the news that sean was arrested in manitoba by the rcmp for gun smuggling and thrown in jail...so start there
zeek
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

Gibsons,BC

Feedback is 126 (100%)
No not sure about anything really but if you look at his 10-13-2015 post, the e-mail he is using is the same one I sent the money to.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Doublepost

Last edited by bat119; 11-03-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:04 PM

This thread has me spooked there are some very bad people out there and the cops don't seem to care. I think I'll be online shopping a lot more carefully from now on including contacting pervious buyers for references.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

Gibsons,BC

Feedback is 126 (100%)
The problem with that is that those people will use a proxy-server to hide their identity such as that which a well known often banned person here uses over and over. Then, they also use an accomplice to rate them a positive feedback. Bottom line is that these thieves come up with new schemes almost daily. You truly have to be on your toes and vigilant, and deal with well known and respected members.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
This thread has me spooked there are some very bad people out there and the cops don't seem to care. I think I'll be online shopping a lot more carefully from now on including contacting pervious buyers for references.
Doesn't hurt to find another person on the forum that can vouch for their identity and honesty either. I like to send my friend/son to check out the merchandise too....that spooks a few scammers, they won't show or want to meet in a parking lot.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 AM

I got hosed out of $100 by JTS a few years back, he's offered to pay me back multiple times, than never answers when I give him a meet. AO won't do anything because it wasn't off their buy and sell, even when we talked about the whiteswan trip we were booking in forums.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbotism View Post
This is the same guy who sent me a message on the weekend saying that he has the scope that I am looking, he asked me to send me the payment thru EMT. I insisted to send it thru Paypal for safer transaction but he didnt like it.
Asked him if he has reference from AO he said nothin from AO but CGN, so I checked CGN the name nicestuffs..on his first post he's from BC but he told that he's from Manitoba, then checked his ratings there is one post giving him 5 stars and posted it same day he told me about he's CGN account, so I checked the poster and yes it could be "nicestuffs" account too because the poster said he is from BC. From my investigation I can tell that he is a certified scammer!!
Not wanting to use pay pal is not necessarily a negative indicator, I will not use them period sell or buy. Had a number of bad experiences with them. just something to consider.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Default paypal

I have used paypal in over 500 ebay purchases without a single problem.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
I got scammed on here about a year ago or so for $1200.00. The RCMP wouldn't do anything for me. I don't understand it and from what I can tell these guys can rack up a big scam in one ad, to the tune of $10000 easily. Why aren't the police interested in catching these people? I would think an EMT is traceable. These guys could be earning 2-300,000 a year easily. That's not chump change!
Our business has a not unsubstantial online sales presence. A large part of our day is spent vetting out the fraudulent online orders...stolen cards and ID primarily.
There's far more of it than most realize.
Firstly, a lot of it originates out of Quebec. Quebec ranks right up with a number of African countries and Russia for internet scams. Reason is that they have their own set of laws for this kind of thing (fancy that...Quebec thinking it's special) that makes it very nearly impossible to prosecute.
But it's the sheer numbers. To effectively go after these people we would likely have to double our police manpower. And just as announced in Edmonton today (city council says to hold down the tax hike EPS isn't getting what they have asked for) money isn't forthcoming for expanding police forces.
So...you have your choice. Do you want the police going after murderers and violent criminals or stopping crimes involving monetary loss only?
It's a Catch 22. I've had my house broken into. The response from EPS being 'as long as they (the bad guys) are gone and no one is hurt it is low priority'. Yup...****ed me off, but I'm one of the first to also say 'you better not raise my taxes'.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 PM

I have to weigh in here re blackie. I purchased from him back in Feb 2014. I had no issues with the purchase & everything went smoothly & no issues. Haven't had any dealings with him since though.
Unfortunate when someone gets taken. Never like to see that happen
Old 11-06-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gneigum View Post
I have to weigh in here re blackie. I purchased from him back in Feb 2014. I had no issues with the purchase & everything went smoothly & no issues. Haven't had any dealings with him since though.
Unfortunate when someone gets taken. Never like to see that happen
Thanks for the info, that is good to know. Helps to prove that the positive feedback is legit and that is a good thing. What happened I probably will never know. Why he has not logged back on here since the day I sent him the money is another mystery.

I appreciate the post, thanks
Old 11-07-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
I have used paypal in over 500 ebay purchases without a single problem.
Scammers can't use Paypal because its too secure I've used it over 250 times myself including reloading components gun parts and a few "er um" expensive "car parts" from the EE. Paypal USA is used for everything down south, their Ebay has all kinds of parts we can't buy here.
EMT is convenient but totally insecure like mailing cash.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Scammers can't use Paypal because its too secure I've used it over 250 times myself including reloading components gun parts and a few "er um" expensive "car parts" from the EE. Paypal USA is used for everything down south, their Ebay has all kinds of parts we can't buy here.
EMT is convenient but totally insecure like mailing cash.
Scammers can indeed use Paypal. Paypal gets a cut of every transaction, so they couldn't care less whether transactions are legitimate or not. After the dispute resolution window closes (it used to be only 45 days but has been increased to 180 days), a transaction record completely disappears from eBay and Paypal -- it might as well have not existed. Scammers will attempt to string you along until the dispute resolution window closes -- at which point you're SOL as far as getting your money back.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:06 AM

If you let a scammer string you along for 180 days you deserve to get scammed LOL
Paypal accounts are backed up by a credit card if you don't receive your product or suspect something is wrong start a dispute. If the seller has not withdrawn funds (takes 3-5 days) Paypal will freeze them, if the funds have been withdrawn Paypal makes a funds pending transaction on the sellers card. A credit card cannot be canceled with a transaction pending.
A card used to start a Paypal account is scrutinized for activity prior to your account being "verified" to allow transferring funds from Paypal to your bank account also verified by Paypal.
A scammer won't go through all that Paypal hassle.
Paypal charges for their services and shouldn't be used to purchase whole firearms, if you need to start a dispute they will not help you and pull your account.
The disputes I've had with sellers were settled within 2 weeks.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:20 AM

Default Scams

I remember far less scamming when we were able to self monitor and comment on sales ads. It wasn't uncommon to see a post under an Ad that said "this is a scam guys, stay away".
Then, a few squeaky wheels in the right position, had that changed to increase their sales on here. Now, you can't even call out a Rat to our fellow outdoorsmen. Nothing good came from the change, but it provided another veil to hide behind for crooks.
If you see an Ad now that you know is crooked, how can you make others aware? Think about whether you've seen an Ad on here that was halted by members because it was a known scam? It just doesn't seem to happen anymore, we have the sellers protected at the cost of the buyer.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:08 PM

Agreed.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:30 PM

Default scam

Maybe the guy is dead. I sent a oil pan to Grand Prairie a few years ago, only to get a call about 2 months later from Greyhound telling me it was not picked up. I checked his name on google and found his obituary. Hell of a surprise.