Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Covered at the Counter.

Couldn't believe it. Quietly waiting my turn to be served at a local gun counter when I watched a dude pick up a gun that had been placed before him and point it directly at me. He looked down the sightless barrel as if He were going to hunt it that way. Then He placed the gun on the counter. I immediately walked into his space, leaned a bit closer and under no certain terms told him not to point his weapon at me. He said he did not,ok,so I walk back,lean on the counter and observe him again raise the weapon and point it directly at me. A bystander saw this and immediately took a position between us, probably hoping it would stop the **** storm that's about to get turned loose on the idiot holding the gun. Some rather pointed questions were asked, a manager was urgently requested by a very agitated clerk and the gun slinger suddenly became aware of HIS personal space. I went for a walk and had four huge security guards sit down beside me at an adjacent table,they probably would have needed five! To answer the question that is sure to be asked, ya, I was going to go up in the parking lot with him, had I found him there.

Over reaction on my part? call the cops and have him cgcharged?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Nope not an over reaction....I have told people in no uncertain terms to not point a firearm at me regardless of if its at a gun counter or not.

LC
Old 09-23-2013, 06:32 PM

What gun shop?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post

- Over reaction on my part? NO

- call the cops and have him charged? YES!

And what did store management do about it?

Mac
Old 09-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Wow, not at all, once took a young fellows gun away from him, unloaded it and tossed it in the woods for pointing it at me. Yes he was old enough to know better. There is never a reason to point a gun at someone unless your going to use it. You did not over react.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:43 PM

Not an over-reaction. That drives me mad with rage too. I was in a store, that shall remain nameless, where 2 uniformed police officers were shopping for new gun belts. While one was trying one on he handed his duty belt to his partner who then proceeded to hang the belt on his shoulder and flag everyone in the store with what was surely a loaded pistol. The officer saw me ducking out of the way and gave me quizzical look. When I pointed out that what he was doing was not only careless, but criminal, I was basically told that my input wasn't welcome. He then went back to flagging people with a loaded firearm. I was so choked that I never thought to get a name/badge number. I immediately left the store after informing the clerk why. When I got to my car I seriously contemplated calling 911 and telling them there was a guy in the store pointing a pistol at people. Not sure why I didn't...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

call in the heavies

and for the guy that got covered by one of our finest

use your cell phone video camera before and after you confront the fool
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM

any one want to bet they still sold him the gun and then they wonder how gun accidents happen
Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
What gun shop?
Bass Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
And what did store management do about it?

Mac
Not sure, I was asked to.....leave.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Bass Pro.

Not sure, I was asked to.....leave.
if you were asked to leave because some dickwad was pointing a rifle at you TWICE?, I think I would go above Bass Pro's local management.....
Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 PM

I'm just guessing, but there could be surveillance cameras pointed at a gun counter that potentially incriminate, and therefor wreck your buds chances of buying a firearm...if it was shown to the proper authorities.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
if you were asked to leave because some dickwad was pointing a rifle at you TWICE?, I think I would go above Bass Pro's local management.....
Think I may have obstructed their sale of a rifle, for a moment at least. They could care less where the gun was pointing. Kid behind the counter was busy with paper work while the firearm was being fondled.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM

Default over-reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelringin' View Post
Not an over-reaction. That drives me mad with rage too. I was in a store, that shall remain nameless, where 2 uniformed police officers were shopping for new gun belts. While one was trying one on he handed his duty belt to his partner who then proceeded to hang the belt on his shoulder and flag everyone in the store with what was surely a loaded pistol. The officer saw me ducking out of the way and gave me quizzical look. When I pointed out that what he was doing was not only careless, but criminal, I was basically told that my input wasn't welcome. He then went back to flagging people with a loaded firearm. I was so choked that I never thought to get a name/badge number. I immediately left the store after informing the clerk why. When I got to my car I seriously contemplated calling 911 and telling them there was a guy in the store pointing a pistol at people. Not sure why I didn't...
A loaded handgun in a holster that protects the trigger is safely stored. It can
not go off on its own as the striker or hammer is not cocked (police guns have DAO or DA/SA sear mechanisms).
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Not a over reaction. Loser shouldn't have done it, wouldn't have blamed you.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
X2

It sounds like they asked the wrong person to leave!

Mac
Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
A loaded handgun in a holster that protects the trigger is safely stored. It can
not go off on its own as the striker or hammer is not cocked (police guns have DAO or DA/SA sear mechanisms).
What do you mean by this. Most Calgary police carry glocks witch have no hammer to cock? Or do they just not chamber a round?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Not an over reaction at all. I commend you for not coming unhinged.

Bass Pro needs to hear about this.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Not a over reaction. Loser shouldn't have done it, wouldn't have blamed you.
My comment only had to do with the two police officers, one of whom slung a holstered pistol over his shoulder.

The person who twice aimed a shop gun at the OP was a total loser and deserved to be turfed out of the store.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
What do you mean by this. Most Calgary police carry glocks witch have no hammer to cock? Or do they just not chamber a round?
Loaded Glocks are not fully cocked until the trigger is pulled toward the point where the sear releases the striker.

Since a holstered loaded Glock's striker is not cocked, the gun can not fire even if there was a mechanical failure of the sear.

I can understand that a person who is not familiar with the operation of a Glock might be alarmed, but regardless, so long as the gun is holstered the trigger is protected. The Glock can not fully cock itself nor fire itself from inside a holster.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Criminal Code of Canada » 87. Pointing a firearm

87. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, points a firearm at another person, whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.

Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Sounds like a pretty easy 911 call to me, cops love to punch the throttle responding to firearms calls

The staff were spineless to not correct the fellow; quite frankly the counter staff should all be trained to the same standards as range officers. Without strict safety standards they're every bit as much a part of the problem as the guy sweeping you with the muzzle.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 PM

I doubt there's been even a single charge or conviction under this section of the CC where the pointing of a firearm took place at a gun shop counter.

There are so many idiots at gun counters that Harper would have to build a whole new set of jails to keep them all.

It's almost as if being at a gun counter automatically gives Roscoe a "lawful excuse" to take careful aim at the other customers.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Thanks Caber. Was just about to go looking...
Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Honestly I would love to see the firearms shops install targets up on the wall behind the counter and instruct anyone handling a firearm to ONLY point it in an upwards direction towards the target....

This would be a welcome addition to any gun counter and would promote the highest level of safety near a gun counter....

People handling firearms SHOULD know not to point any firearm at any thing unless they are prepared to shoot it....

The prospective buyer could easily be instructed to only point the muzzle end upwards at a 90 degree angle to the floor and if they want to shoulder it they can but they must only point towards the targets mounted higher on the wall....

Heck at the rifle rodeo in Drayton that was the rule and EVERYONE adhered to it.... carrying the rifle, action open, barrel up in a single hand, no fingers even near a trigger with the amount of people and activity around there was the best bet....did I mention EVERYONE could follow that simple rule?

My 2 cents for the day on the topic...

LC
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 PM

Some people have survived birth that shouldn't have. That dude was a prime example.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 PM

Yeah I could see why one would get mad if someone pointed a rifle at someone else, maybe you should have directed the muzzle up his...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Criminal Code of Canada » 87. Pointing a firearm

87. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, points a firearm at another person, whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded . . .

Well worth repeating ^ !

It's sad to see that some folks here appear to have forgotten that.

Mac