Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 AM

Default Bush Withdrawal Syndrome

I just came back from a great moose hunt up north. I'm sitting in the garage having coffee before work and just can't shake the need to head straight back in the bush. Tree turning colour, a cold breeze and coyotes barking: that's what I already miss. I used to go hunting with dad but he's gone. A little bird kept flying with me for about a mile. Couldn't help wonder if it wasn't him...

I can't be the only one! I have another hunt schedules for the 11th and it can't happen soon enough!

Anyone else feel the same?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM

You bet! Just spent the weekend in 330 and can't wait to head into the woods again...
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM

I'm always happy for a hot shower, but right after that point I start getting the itch as well.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:06 AM

Starts late August... lol there is just something about being out in the bush, cant beat the peace it brings to a person.. The memories from hunts past and thoes who we have hunted with who are gone, it is like they are with us in one form or another!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 AM

I hear ya! This past weekend has traditionally been the weekend I would take my boys out for our anual camp / hunting trip. This year with the way my work has been and kids sports etc... I did not get it pulled off.

Friday I in full on pout mode, really feeling sorry for myself and going to a gun show Saturday just didnt cut it. I have a buddy who bought a recreational property south of GP and I am really looking forward to spending some time around there and making memories with my boys and friends there for years to come. I have 2 trips planned for up there next year already.

In the mean time I am going to do a field sales trip later this week that will have me in some good hunting teritory so I will be stopping for some walks for sure!

There is nothing like getting out into the bush to clean the mind and recharge the soul!! I hope everyone that is having withdrawls can get out and find some serenity.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM

I thought this was a family site....

LC
Old 09-23-2013, 01:58 PM

well when i get bush withdrawal syndrome i go out and sit in the tree whith my binos ,, People in the new condo complex across the way probaly think im a pervert

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
well when i get bush withdrawal syndrome i go out and sit in the tree whith my binos ,, People in the new condo complex across the way probaly think im a pervert
LOL, just for you I'll ask the wife to leave the blinds open.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I thought this was a family site....

LC
LOL Yeah, I particularly enjoyed the one where the felllow described getting an itch afterwards. LOL
Old 09-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Your not?

I miss sitting by the water and listening to the birds sing and the water lap against the shores.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM

We already set up the wall tent on the 15th and checked out our moose spot. Leaves were just turning and no moose sign yet. Been too hot. Talking to my hunting partner today and we are thinking of postponing our hunt 1 week due to the projected warm weather. So instead of heading out for a few days on Sunday, it's a day trip on Saturday to check out things for moose rut activity. So looking forward to a few days in the wall tent.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM

I have never hunted, but like time in the bush. I would like to go along for a trip sometime. I'm low maintenance and have my own guns and ammo.
Anyone interested in showing a guy what it's all about?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
We already set up the wall tent on the 15th and checked out our moose spot. Leaves were just turning and no moose sign yet. Been too hot. Talking to my hunting partner today and we are thinking of postponing our hunt 1 week due to the projected warm weather. So instead of heading out for a few days on Sunday, it's a day trip on Saturday to check out things for moose rut activity. So looking forward to a few days in the wall tent.
We had very limited success this weekend last. Too soon for that area NE AB. After the first good frost... Not much sigh yet.

I'll be heading up north on th 11th. They should be moving a bit more then. I guess they're moving up on Spirit River. This is what I heard though...
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 PM

Was out for 2 weeks during archery season.Saw 2 bull elk ,cow tag firm in hand.2 cow moose 38yards ,bull tag unused.Just finishing a 14 day stretch tommorow.Can not wait.Lord grant me patience and please hurry.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Cool

Ive been fishing 318, 314, for a month now. every time I pack up on sunday eve, I get to pineing for the fjords .
The chill has started the critters moving . The colors in the river valley combined with azure waters never leave my thoughts during the work week . Soon winters blanket will reduce this beauty to a contrast of momochrome whites. As the waters solidify the pulse of the hunt will be apon us . My thoughts wander to game trails and of deer pursuits. That waskily whitetail and elusive elk will haunt my work weeks ....pineing
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 PM

Default Withdrawal? What withdrawal?

We enjoy living in the middle of nowhere Alberta! We basically go from one season to the next never more than a few few days from a walk or ?? in the bush. I tried living in a city, but I grew up on a small farm in the middle of NW Manitoba where Dad's trap line was the income. My greatest fear after 65 years is to be trapped in a large town or city and NOT be able to enjoy the wonders of our great out of doors, especially with my wife. Life is not about who we are or what we have or our paycheck but how we are able to enjoy the time we have doing the things we love and enjoy with those we love and enjoy. A day in the gopher patch with my boys is the best paycheck a man could have! Being with my wife when she shot her first mule deer with her second anniversary gift was one of the best gifts she could have ever given me. Yes, we both get bush withdrawal, it just the natural thing!