Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Default More tire talk

Anyone running the new Good Year Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure?

Quote:
Speed rating: S (180 kph)

Load index: 125 (1650 kg)

Sidewall: BSL (Black Serrated Letters)

FEATURES & WARRANTIES

Rugged strength provided by a layer of DuPont™ Kevlar®
Helps prevent cuts in the sidewall with its Durawall™ Technology
Versatile off-road traction in wet, muddy conditions as a result of its open tread pattern
Superb traction in the snow and rain thanks to its tread compound and biting edges that help grip the road
Eligible for a 60,000 mi./95,000 km Tread Life Limited Warranty**
Eligible for the Highway Auto and Light Truck Tire Replacement Limited Warranty See Tire Warranty Details
LT sizes include two layers of Kevlar, 30% more steel†† for enhanced toughness, and a Severe Snow Conditions Symbol¥ for winter weather driving
http://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/w...n,%20ab&rim=18

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 09-22-2013, 12:34 PM

It looks just like the silent armour. Did they just rename it?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
It looks just like the silent armour. Did they just rename it?
It's listed as a separate tire: http://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/category/all-season

Speed rating is different, R vs S.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Those showed up in my own search, they're definitely not an AT/S despite a bit of appearance similarity with the new model having similar (but somewhat less pronounced) grooves down the middle. Based on my experience with the Pro Grades (passable, but nothing to write home about traction-wise as well as less tread life) I'll be going with either Michelin LTX M&S's, Toyo Open Country ATII's or Nokian Rotiiva's based on the best pricing, accounting if any rebates are in effect.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Default Dynapro

Check out the Hankook Dynapro A/T
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned

Wait for the 4 tires for 3 sale Rod, it happens every Fall. The dealership should be able to tell you when it usually happens.

I've been driving on the Silent Armour and I like them for the driving that I do (mainly gravel & highway with some light off-road). I think that the tires that you mentioned are a new type of tire because I checked the site in the link below and there are no reviews on them yet. Here are the reviews for the Silent Armour:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....er+SilentArmor

Knowing me I'll probably stay with the tried and true tires that I know are good before taking a chance on a new product.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Those showed up in my own search, they're definitely not an AT/S despite a bit of appearance similarity with the new model having similar (but somewhat less pronounced) grooves down the middle. Based on my experience with the Pro Grades (passable, but nothing to write home about traction-wise as well as less tread life) I'll be going with either Michelin LTX M&S's, Toyo Open Country ATII's or Nokian Rotiiva's based on the best pricing, accounting if any rebates are in effect.
I ran the Michelin LTX a few years ago. Liked them for their life and not having flats. Disliked them for their traction. I parked on my daughter's driveway one winter. Got a.knock on the door. A lady just wanted to let us know that the truck had slid down the driveway and partly onto the street. Even when hunting I would be careful to park on top of a hill, not slightly over the hill and pointing down.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Goodyear wrangler duratracs, run them and you will not be disappointed
Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 AM

I bought a set of Goodyear Silent Armours last fall at Fountain Tire's 4 for 3 sale. I priced them out about a week before the sale and thought I would give them a try. Once the sale started, the regular price jumped about $30 per tire so the 4 for 3 was not a great deal but it was an OK deal. I ended up saving about $100 compared to the quote a week before. Arguing did not gain me anything. Next time I will try to get it in writing before the sale.
I found these tires great in snow, fairly quiet but not as stable sideways as my previous Michelins when loaded or pulling the trailer. My biggest dissapointment with them is lousy traction in mud here on the farm and hunting last year. They do not clean well. I doubt if I will buy them again and will not trust Fountain Tire as much as I have in the past.

Sig
Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Default tires

The 4 for 3 sale started on the 16th. I have been running the Silent Armour for years and stopped in to order another set. The manager found some for me, but told me that they are stopping production of it and replacing it with the All Terrain Adventure. Apparently it is less aggressive and therefore less road noise.He said the they were getting too many complaints from the road noise. I have no problem with the noise at all, but apparently my 2 sets a year don't justify making them.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks guys. I really don't want to go through another winter with the craptastic BFG Rugged Trail TAs that my truck came with.

Flipping a coin between GY and Michelin.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:15 PM

For a Goodyear tire my vote goes for the Duratrac.