Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 AM

Default Ultimate Concert

George Jones tribute show, one concert, Nashville Nov 22, sold out. Reba, George Strait, Charlie Daniels, Alabama, Oak Ridge Boys, Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson just to name a few. Wow would that be show!

With the sold-out tribute concert already hosting top names in all genres of music, Nancy Jones is excited to announce the addition of Oklahomans Reba McEntire, Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert, as well as superstars George Strait, Eric Church, and Alabama to the all-star lineup for the Nov. 22 George Jones tribute show at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena.

“I am thrilled and honored that so many of George’s friends are coming to what would have been his last concert, but is not a fitting tribute,” says Nancy Jones, the country music legend’s widow, in a news release. “George loved these artists and before passing had actually wrote letters to almost all of them.”

The newly added list of performers will join previously announced artists Alan Jackson, Dierks Bentley, Travis Tritt, Tanya Tucker, Josh Turner, The Oak Ridge Boys, Charlie Daniels, Jamey Johnson, Montgomery Gentry, Sam Moore, and others. All previously announced artists are currently being reconfirmed.

George Jones, often referred to as the “the greatest living country singer” was on his farewell tour titled “The Grand Tour,” when he passed away in April. The icon’s hits, “I Don’t Need Your Rockin’ Chair”, “Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes”, “White Lightning” and “He Stopped Loving Her Today” will surely become standards for honky-tonk cover bands for years to come.

About George Jones
George Jones was the No. 2 best-charting country artist of all time, with a staggering list of hit singles since the ‘50s. The Beaumont, Texas, native also has 143 Top 40 hits to his name, has received two Grammy Awards, was a 2008 Kennedy Center Honor recipient, is a Country Music Hall of Fame member, was presented with a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012 and earned a National Medal of Arts medallion.

For more information on George Jones, please visit www.georgejones.com.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:47 AM

Easton Corbin.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I heard this on Sirius today, kind of giggled as I hate the song too

Zac Brown is unhappy with some of the more commercial aspects of modern country music, and he’s not afraid to say so in public. In a new interview, the singer-songwriter takes aim at some of the songs currently on country radio, and Luke Bryan‘s latest single in specific.

“There’s not a lot of the country format that I really enjoy listening to,” Brown tells Vancouver’s 93.7 JRfm. “If I hear one more tailgate in the moonlight, daisy duke song, I’m gonna throw up. There’s songs out there on the radio right now that make me ashamed to be even in the same format as some other artists.”

He calls out Luke Bryan’s recently released single, ‘That’s My Kind of Night,’ as a case in point.

“I love Luke Bryan, and he’s had some great songs, but this new song is the worst song I’ve ever*heard,” Brown says. “I see it being giant commercially, successful within what is called country music these days, but I also feel like that the people deserve something better than that.”

He adds, “I’m opinionated because I care so much about the music and the songs.”
as if I needed another reason to love Zac Brown! thumbs up brotha

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Got to like that Charlie Major. He had a very natural western tone which isn't forced. His songs are great and the lyrics actually means something. He's totally undervalued as a C&W performer, signer and songwriter.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 PM

everything on outlaw country.there we don't have to listen to "pop with a fiddle"!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp2JKXBhP6M
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Gotta agree with zach brown. We've all spent a fun evening with a nice girl drinking a few beer and "having a good time" in the back 40, it's nothing new. Why does Luke Bryan have to sing the same scenario with slight variations over and over. I used to like LB for a bit, until he became the male Taylor swift and all his songs became exactly the same.

Jamey Johnson
Eric church
Corb Lund
Billy currington
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Anyone mention Don Williams yet?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
as if I needed another reason to love Zac Brown! thumbs up brotha
Wow. Interesting. I started a thread a couple days back along these same lines. Guess it mirrors Zac Browns opinion.....
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 AM

Hank Williams III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-YFpKddpEg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqRZqvlDvT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSLH4QTWeLw
Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 AM

Ian TYSON one Alberta's own country singers
Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
Ian TYSON one Alberta's own country singers
Don't tell Ian he's a country singer! He'll rip you a new one.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM

Wyatt McCubbin. Not a lot of his own songs yet but some great old covers and some great originals. He's only 18 years old as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3HOEaXPyNQ
A video when he was only 14 singing Jamey johnsons "in color"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSLyqcRiR34
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 AM

I loikw Corb Lund and Ian Tyson, Tim Huss, etc,etc.......
Cat
Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Got to like that Charlie Major. He had a very natural western tone which isn't forced. His songs are great and the lyrics actually means something. He's totally undervalued as a C&W performer, signer and songwriter.
I agree he just released a greatest hits album sep 10.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:40 AM

Stattler Brothers
Lynn Anderson

Jim Nesbitt's Runnin' Bare.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I heard this on Sirius today, kind of giggled as I hate the song too

Zac Brown is unhappy with some of the more commercial aspects of modern country music, and he’s not afraid to say so in public. In a new interview, the singer-songwriter takes aim at some of the songs currently on country radio, and Luke Bryan‘s latest single in specific.

“There’s not a lot of the country format that I really enjoy listening to,” Brown tells Vancouver’s 93.7 JRfm. “If I hear one more tailgate in the moonlight, daisy duke song, I’m gonna throw up. There’s songs out there on the radio right now that make me ashamed to be even in the same format as some other artists.”

He calls out Luke Bryan’s recently released single, ‘That’s My Kind of Night,’ as a case in point.

“I love Luke Bryan, and he’s had some great songs, but this new song is the worst song I’ve ever*heard,” Brown says. “I see it being giant commercially, successful within what is called country music these days, but I also feel like that the people deserve something better than that.”

He adds, “I’m opinionated because I care so much about the music and the songs.”
I like his attitude, oh ya Im going to see Zac tonight WOO HOO
Old 09-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Don't tell Ian he's a country singer! He'll rip you a new one.
Let's see now, got a ranch, rides and ropes, sings songs about cowboy pride, ranches gone bust, horses, and wimmen, etc..... - yup, sounds like a country singer to me!
Cat
Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Let's see now, got a ranch, rides and ropes, sings songs about cowboy pride, ranches gone bust, horses, and wimmen, etc..... - yup, sounds like a country singer to me!
Cat
Nope, sounds like a Western music singer to me.

D
Old 09-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDee View Post
Nope, sounds like a Western music singer to me.

D
That would be western swing? Yup, he does some of that as well.
"Western" is a pretty broad brush, as is "Country", but it certainly ain't jazz!
However, "country music" to the Scots is a bit different!!
Cat
Old 09-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Western Swing is actually very similar to jazz in the chord voicings and progressions. I've had to up my guitar playing game to keep up with the swingers!

I would consider Ian's music to be in the Cowboy sub-genre of Western music. It's somewhat of a cowboy folk music. I consider it Western music because the lyrics are of a western theme. They ring true with us folks in the western portion of North America.

I consider Country music to be more of the music of the south eastern United States. Originally stemming from the Appalachian mountain music (the precursor to Bluegrass).

Now there's lots of similarities between the two genres, and a lot of cross over. And some of Ian's songs are distinctly Country. But I would consider him, in general, a Western singer.

Dusty
Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Gord Bamford
x2. Great singer and has a personality
Old 09-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Clearly the gentle giant don williams has to be in this list. Seen him many times since 1977(?) in the edmonton jubilee auditorium. 1000 's of people singing" your my best friend" is incredibly powerful
I have tough time with new country

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 lapua View Post
everything on outlaw country.there we don't have to listen to "pop with a fiddle"!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Default The Best of the Best

"No Show Jones"

I think Huntmaster83 has pretty much covered it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 PM

Dolly Parton!
Corb is one of my favs