Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Yes i can see your point on the comparison side of things mtngiant,and thanks for your kind words on my health issues...my golf game went from real good to real bad over night due to my issues...but i still try and play as best i can on the days that i am feeling up to it...i will get better,that is a promise!! Funny thing is you say to me "hope you keep enjoying golf" and for some reason i am enjoying it way more now than i ever had..i just can't do it every day like i used to...Thanks mtngiant..i appreciate the kind words!
Your most welcome sir zip.

Let's see how Tiger does today.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Your most welcome sir zip.

Let's see how Tiger does today.
I kinda have a soft spot in my heart for Fred Couples...he is way more of a man than Tiger is...but then again so are most men. My heart says Couples will win...but my brain says Tiger will once again find a way to get to the end a winner..ARRRGH!
Sir Zip...wow,ive been called alot of things in my life,but never that...i like it..hehehe!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Default It's done....move on

The rules committee made an error in not Assessing him a 2 stroke penalty during his second round as they were aware of the infraction while he was still on the course...they are within their means to disqualify him, but the two stroke penalty being handed down this morning is wrong...they either DQ him or he should receive no penalty...side note, Television viewers calling in to report rules infractions is brutal, it should not even be considered...golf is a gentleman's sport and penalties are the responsibility of the the players to call on themselves and others and the rule official is there for clarification purposes...
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
I kinda have a soft spot in my heart for Fred Couples...he is way more of a man than Tiger is...but then again so are most men. My heart says Couples will win...but my brain says Tiger will once again find a way to get to the end a winner..ARRRGH!
Sir Zip...wow,ive been called alot of things in my life,but never that...i like it..hehehe!
Well then....Sir Zip is your new nickname LOL

Ya I was happy to see Freddy on the leader board as well and would much prefer him to win.
He is the definition of CLASS!!!

I kinda miss Vigay and the "The Big Easy" these days being on top too.

OH OH!!!!
Tiger may be DQ'd???????
Old 04-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevwood View Post
The rules committee made an error in not Assessing him a 2 stroke penalty during his second round as they were aware of the infraction while he was still on the course...they are within their means to disqualify him, but the two stroke penalty being handed down this morning is wrong...they either DQ him or he should receive no penalty...side note, Television viewers calling in to report rules infractions is brutal, it should not even be considered...golf is a gentleman's sport and penalties are the responsibility of the the players to call on themselves and others and the rule official is there for clarification purposes...
This isn't the first time that a tv armchair golfer called in a rules infraction...and your right i don't agree with it either...tv viewers cant call into a hockey game and spout off about a missed penalty,nor does it happen in Basketball,soccer...or any other sport...for the life of me i just can't figure out why they listen to us who are sitting at home...not fair at all!
I can't remember exactly who the golfer was that somebody called in as well about a rules infraction when he put a towel down so he could kneel on it so his pants wouldn't get wet from the ground..he got penalized for what they called improving his lie...now would that one still be a penalty if he had put his rain pants on then knelled down to play his shot..some rules just need to be improved on..hard to agree with some of them!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Well then....Sir Zip is your new nickname LOL

Ya I was happy to see Freddy on the leader board as well and would much prefer him to win.
He is the definition of CLASS!!!

I kinda miss Vigay and the "The Big Easy" these days being on top too.

OH OH!!!!
Tiger may be DQ'd???????
Another thing i can agree with ya on..i miss seeing Vigay and Ernie Els as well...i guess the younger crowd of golfers are slowly pushing the old standbys aside...the likes of Keegan Bradley,Ricky Fowler,Dustin Johnson..and the list is long...seems like these young guys can play at such a high level so early in life these days.
The only reason they don't DQ Tiger is the tv coverage...Tiger himself seems to be above the rules...go figure!

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Another thing i can agree with ya on..i miss seeing Vigay and Ernie Els as well...i guess the younger crowd of golfers are slowly pushing the old standbys aside...the likes of Keegan Bradley,Ricky Fowler,Dustin Johnson..and the list is long...seems like these young guys can play at such a high level so early in life these days.
The only reason they don't DQ Tiger is the tv coverage...Tiger himself seems to be above the rules...go figure!
Agreed...

AND....Who dat 14yr old kid at the Masters??? Holy Cow!!!! Times are a changin.

Incredible

PS.....Current news on CNN says Tiger got a 2 stroke penalty and he accepted it w/ no issue.

Also Sir Zip....you must be very proud of your Son.....very impressive.
I also grew up very golf oriented and had my Uncle and Cousin make semi-pro.
I tried... but when Golf became very expensive...I could no longer afford to practice and play all the time.
I played the old dog courses.....and found it very challenging to do so and it made for good practice. It made it easier to play the high end groomed courses.
Im a big advocate of starting something cheap.....and then be able to appreciate qualty when the time comes.

Last edited by MtnGiant; 04-13-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Agreed...

AND....Who dat 14yr old kid at the Masters??? Holy Cow!!!! Times are a changin.

Incredible

PS.....Current news on CNN says Tiger got a 2 stroke penalty and he accepted it w/ no issue.

Also Sir Zip....you must be very proud of your Son.....very impressive.
I also grew up very golf oriented and had my Uncle and Cousin make semi-pro.
I tried... but when Golf became very expensive...I could no longer afford to practice and play all the time.
I played the old dog courses.....and found it very challenging to do so and it made for good practice. It made it easier to play the high end groomed courses.
Im a big advocate of starting something cheap.....and then be able to appreciate qualty when the time comes.
Yes mtngiant i am very proud of my Son who got his pro card...it is a hard thing to do...and i have to say that his son..my grandson is following in his dad's foot steps..he is 13 years old and hits it real good and has the smarts around the green...i also have another son who is 25 years old now and he should have gone into the golf industry as well...he hits it off the tee 300 plus..i had him on the course when he was 3 years old learning the etiquette first then golf second...i am proud of all three of those boys..my 25 year old decided a few years ago to get into millwrighting instead of golf..he is now a journeyman in that trade...oh how i wish he would have listened to me when he was younger and had a chance at golf..he plays very well for a guy who plays only a few games a year now...Golf is fun in our family.

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
This isn't the first time that a tv armchair golfer called in a rules infraction...and your right i don't agree with it either...tv viewers cant call into a hockey game and spout off about a missed penalty,nor does it happen in Basketball,soccer...or any other sport...for the life of me i just can't figure out why they listen to us who are sitting at home...not fair at all!
I can't remember exactly who the golfer was that somebody called in as well about a rules infraction when he put a towel down so he could kneel on it so his pants wouldn't get wet from the ground..he got penalized for what they called improving his lie...now would that one still be a penalty if he had put his rain pants on then knelled down to play his shot..some rules just need to be improved on..hard to agree with some of them!
It was Stadler"The Walrus" that knelt on the towel and "built a stance"...yes I agree that viewers calling in to report their findings is a joke...missed calls are part of sports and the players in a tournament should make the calls on other players...today will be a defining round for TW as we can see how we'll he blocks this out of his kitchen...
Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevwood View Post
It was Stadler"The Walrus" that knelt on the towel and "built a stance"...yes I agree that viewers calling in to report their findings is a joke...missed calls are part of sports and the players in a tournament should make the calls on other players...today will be a defining round for TW as we can see how we'll he blocks this out of his kitchen...
Ahhh.I thought it might have been Stadler,but wasn't completely sure...Thanks for the answer Kevwood. I think Tiger will be trying to bear down a touch more today now that he is so far behind...but yet he is still only 5 shots out,he still has two days to go..i am not in any way rooting for him,just saying that if anybody can come from that far behind with 2 days left...he can! my money is still hoping for Freddie!

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Tiger is the master of blocking out the negatives....I predict he does just fine.
It's only a couple of strokes w/ 2 days left. (the penalty I mean)

Still not sure he will win it though.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Tiger is the master of blocking out the negatives....I predict he does just fine.
It's only a couple of strokes w/ 2 days left. (the penalty I mean)

Still not sure he will win it though.
If he does win all they will talk about for days is it is tainted....because of the happenings.

LC
Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If he does win all they will talk about for days is it is tainted....because of the happenings.

LC
I dont think so....especially if he wins by more than 2 strokes.
Maybe that'll be the line that divides.

Unless some are thinking he should be DQ'd ????

Will be the #1 topic at the beginning of today's broadcast for sure me thinks.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I dont think so....especially if he wins by more than 2 strokes.
Maybe that'll be the line that divides.

Unless some are thinking he should be DQ'd ????

Will be the #1 topic at the beginning of today's broadcast for sure me thinks.
ya they'll blab on and on and on about it.
He won't win, I don't see it happening this year myself.
I wonder what sort of mood he'll be in today?! too bad the baby wasn't disqualified !
Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM

Tiger should have been DQ'd. The new rules allow some leeway for signing a wrong scorecard, but not with intentionally "not" dropping as near as possible to where the original stroke was taken. He should have withdrew and show a little integrity toward the rules. This is just another black mark on his record.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Funny....if Tiger didnt shoot his mouth off....it prolly would of been bypassed.

Anyway...GO FREDDY!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Funny....if Tiger didnt shoot his mouth off....it prolly would of been bypassed.

Anyway...GO FREDDY!!!
Agreed.

Oh, and golf just got a slap in the face; maximum penalty for a no name 14 year old. ( a penalty that has never been enforced at the Masters) And a minimum penalty for the golden boy.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
Agreed.

Oh, and golf just got a slap in the face; maximum penalty for a no name 14 year old. ( a penalty that has never been enforced at the Masters) And a minimum penalty for the golden boy.
Its a double standard. They can't dq their highest tv rating player
Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Yup, the old boys on the rules committee found that dropping 2 yards back was close enough ......being it was Tiger............

and the 14 year old rookie from China gets penalized for slow play, (and it was slow play....... )

Not very consistent rulings.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM

mtnmidget, I have played golf on courses that you could never access in your wildest mountain dreams!!!! The most difficult was Troon, a private course in Scottsdale, just north of the TPA course(which I also played). A friend of mine has a share and a $20,000./yr membership, along with a monthly assessment of $2500.00. Even your hero Tiger is not invited to play there!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
Its a double standard. They can't dq their highest tv rating player
so very true!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
mtnmidget, I have played golf on courses that you could never access in your wildest mountain dreams!!!! The most difficult was Troon, a private course in Scottsdale, just north of the TPA course(which I also played). A friend of mine has a share and a $20,000./yr membership, along with a monthly assessment of $2500.00. Even your hero Tiger is not invited to play there!!!
so what..... woods probably owns 10 that your buddy or you will never see. woods probably spends that amount on lunch............... some people
Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 PM

what a beautiful course!
Which course would you say in the best in the world? for being prestigious, beautiful, historic etc etc...
Old 04-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta5678 View Post
Tiger should have been DQ'd. The new rules allow some leeway for signing a wrong scorecard, but not with intentionally "not" dropping as near as possible to where the original stroke was taken. He should have withdrew and show a little integrity toward the rules. This is just another black mark on his record.
I can't believe how out of proportion this whole event is.

It is quite obvious that Tiger's intent was not to break the rules, he would not have dropped 2 meters away if he knew it was going to mean he could be disqualified and he definitely would not have made it known in a post game interview... On other holes what he did would have been perfectly fine, it isn't a black and white rule that he broke, it was a misunderstanding of that holes drop status. Something that the announcers had also mistaken earlier(I believe when Furyk was at the hole).

No one caught or commented on his accidental breaking of the rules at the time and it wasn't until after everything was said and done and his card signed that he was found to have broken a rule. Being disqualified for mistaking rules and not having anyone catch you/correct you at the time is retarded and good on the committee for adding the new rule to keep ridiculous disqualifications from happening.

Golf is the only sport with rules this ridiculous/stringent, this is the same as a fan phoning into a hockey game after it is done to advise of a high stick that went unnoticed by the referees and the game therefore being considered a draw or forfeit because of it... I bet if you knew the rules in and out you could find instances to get multiple golfers disqualified based on simple mistakes like this one.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Good for you, not sure what other accolades you're looking for.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy62 View Post
so what..... woods probably owns 10 that your buddy or you will never see. woods probably spends that amount on lunch............... some people

Nice one....it would seem that reality is not Auntybuck's prowess.

And $20 000/yr is low end slum monies for a private course.

Let me know when you play a private course w/ a membership fee of around $500 000/yr.

And I'm pretty sure the owner of your bud's private course would role out the red carpet if Tiger chose to play there. But if Tiger knew that you were the typical membership mentality.....he'd probably just buy the club and ban members like you Unclebuck.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
I can't believe how out of proportion this whole event is.

It is quite obvious that Tiger's intent was not to break the rules, he would not have dropped 2 meters away if he knew it was going to mean he could be disqualified and he definitely would not have made it known in a post game interview... On other holes what he did would have been perfectly fine, it isn't a black and white rule that he broke, it was a misunderstanding of that holes drop status. Something that the announcers had also mistaken earlier(I believe when Furyk was at the hole).

No one caught or commented on his accidental breaking of the rules at the time and it wasn't until after everything was said and done and his card signed that he was found to have broken a rule. Being disqualified for mistaking rules and not having anyone catch you/correct you at the time is retarded and good on the committee for adding the new rule to keep ridiculous disqualifications from happening.

Golf is the only sport with rules this ridiculous/stringent, this is the same as a fan phoning into a hockey game after it is done to advise of a high stick that went unnoticed by the referees and the game therefore being considered a draw or forfeit because of it... I bet if you knew the rules in and out you could find instances to get multiple golfers disqualified based on simple mistakes like this one.
Very good points.
The golf rule book is a small encyclodepia that almost requires a lawyer to comprehend it.....although I've never read it.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Very good points.
The golf rule book is a small encyclodepia that almost requires a lawyer to comprehend it.....although I've never read it.
I have had the unlucky misfortune to be on many rule committees at some golf tournaments and mtngiant you are correct that that all important book takes a lawyer to figure out some rules...it seems to me that the more times you read a rule while trying to figure it out the more complicated it gets...it can almost change how it is interpreted right before your eyes...please don't volunteer to be on any rule committee for golf..once you do it is hard to get out of from year to year...trust me you don't want to be the one to make a ruling that you don't even understand yourself...I've been there done that and won't do it again...thankless job no matter what happens!
"GO FREDDIE"..or Jason Day...or Angel Cabrella...or Steve Stricker...or Adam Scott...anybody but Tiger!

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have had the unlucky misfortune to be on many rule committees at some golf tournaments and mtngiant you are correct that that all important book takes a lawyer to figure out some rules...it seems to me that the more times you read a rule while trying to figure it out the more complicated it gets...it can almost change how it is interpreted right before your eyes...please don't volunteer to be on any rule committee for golf..once you do it is hard to get out of from year to year...trust me you don't want to be the one to make a ruling that you don't even understand yourself...I've been there done that and won't do it again...thankless job no matter what happens!
"GO FREDDIE"..or Jason Day...or Angel Cabrella...or Steve Stricker...or Adam Scott...anybody but Tiger!
Hahahaha....thanks for the advanced advice....I'll definitely avoid that position.

I prefer Freddy, but have been an Adam Scott fan since he came aboard.
I expected better showings from him thru the years.
But he's lookin pretty good here.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Buddy covered your visitor fee for Troon?

Quote:
That's a great buddy to pay to take you to such an exclusive course, but unless there are more than 2 Troon courses in Scottsdale your buddy I'd stringing you along. I don't have a buddy and I played both courses as a green fee and get this it was only about $100 a round. Not all that exclusive. It is a wonderful track though, I'll give you that.