Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
What does this even mean???

Do you mean pee on Tiger???

I'd lay a years wage that Tiger is 10X more man than you'll ever hope or dream of being!!!!!!!

Just stop with the childish sandbox foolishness.
Yep, I would probably not pee on the best part of him if it could be found. Tiger's history is nothing short of being an overpaid arrogant AH, albeit an excellent golfer. His off course antics have been anything but those of the classy and caring father that he would envisage himself as, or would like to portray to individuals like yourself-his adoring fans.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Banned

So this thread has a little sideline derailment goin on.

And it usually occurs in sports topics.

And that is......what is the definition of an athlete or athletics???

Remember this....there is a difference between skill and athleticism!!

This topic always creates several differances in the arguements.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=unclebuck;1927561]Yep, I would probably not pee on the best part of him if it could be found. Tiger's history is nothing short of being an overpaid arrogant AH, albeit an excellent golfer. His off course antics have been anything but those of the classy and caring father that he would envisage himself as, or would like to portray to individuals like yourself-his adoring fans.[/QUOTE]

WRONG>>>SO WRONG>>>>

You dont even know what my opinion is of Tiger....not even close.

Assumption is the mother of all f^^^ups.

All I have stated is how he is playing (and mentioned that he is a man).....thats it.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned

Tiger's bogey was robbery.....bad rule IMO
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
So this thread has a little sideline derailment goin on.

And it usually occurs in sports topics.

And that is......what is the definition of an athlete or athletics???

Remember this....there is a difference between skill and athleticism!!

This topic always creates several differances in the arguements.
well according to Webster's,

"Definition of ATHLETE

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina"
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping4life View Post
well according to Webster's,

"Definition of ATHLETE

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina"
Yes thanks....but I meant the meaning that people think it is to them.....its usually far differant than the dictionary version in my experiences with sporting debates.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Yes thanks....but I meant the meaning that people think it is to them.....its usually far differant than the dictionary version in my experiences with sporting debates.
nope, to me that hits the nail on the head!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 PM

did anyone saw that Rory got his tennis girlfriend to carrying his golf bag for him ??

Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 PM

Anyone that just saw Tiger make that last shot knows why golf is considered a sport. 99% of people on here couldn't hit a ball that hard let alone with any accuracy at all.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM

oh but they try all too often...lol
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Anyone that just saw Tiger make that last shot knows why golf is considered a sport. 99% of people on here couldn't hit a ball that hard let alone with any accuracy at all.
Tha aincent GAME of golf . The ability to walk a few thousand yards is not a task worthy of athlete. Skilled at his game of course, I know a old fella of 80 that can complete that walk. The tv golfer is merely more skilled.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned

Golf as athletic? MEH,,Golf as a game of skill...Out of this world and these guys are unbelievable! Seeing them LIVE is unreal!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping4life View Post
nope, to me that hits the nail on the head!
Ok...I'll agree
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I agree Tiger will beat Jack's record.
And maybe one Master's win closer by this weekend. He's playin great again.
John Daly may not be as athletic as Tiger but Daly has all the natural gifts to be a FAR better golfer than Tiger. He just let booze and mental weakness get in his way.
As far as golfer's being on par w/ any athelete????? Your completely out to lunch on this statement. So far gone that I wont even waste my time with an explanation.
Hey mtngiant...your last paragraph here reeks of someone who has nothing left to say but still insists he gets the last word in...my statement is so far gone that you won't waste your time with an explanation...thank you for that,now we don't have to listen to you rant on about something that you have no clue about...whew,that was close

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Tha aincent GAME of golf . The ability to walk a few thousand yards is not a task worthy of athlete. Skilled at his game of course, I know a old fella of 80 that can complete that walk. The tv golfer is merely more skilled.
Since when does one have to be athletic for something to be considered a sport? Do you really consider many professional baseball players, football offensive guards etc to be great athletes? There are many golfers in just as good or better shape then lots of these "athletes" that play other sports.

A sport is "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.".

If you don't think swinging a golf club over as hard as a pro does isn't physically exerting I would like to see you do it consistently day after day for a week straight... It takes a lot of strength and conditioning that most people don't have in order to swing a golf club as powerfully and consistently as a professional level golfer.

Golf is definitely a slower paced relatively low impact SPORT(see I can do that too...) but a sport none the less. Poker is a game, checkers is a game, yahtzee is a game. Golf is a sport though and it is pretty obvious what the difference is.

And for the record I hate playing golf... I enjoy watching it occasionally though as it is truly amazing what some of these guys can do with a golf club.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Hey mtngiant...your last paragraph here reeks of someone who has nothing left to say but still insists he gets the last word in...my statement is so far gone that you won't waste your time with an explanation...thank you for that,now we don't have to listen to you rant on about something that you have no clue about...whew,that was close
NO....you dont know anything about me.

So here's a little insight......I've golfed since I was 8yrs old and won my first local tournament when I was 12yrs old. AND....I stil play.

And up to a few yrs ago....I walked every round....and some mtn type courses in BC.

You obviosly dont have a clue....or your in really bad physical shape?

But it sure is entertaining reading about people like you.

So....hey ZIP.....ZIP-IT!!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Since when does one have to be athletic for something to be considered a sport? Do you really consider many professional baseball players, football offensive guards etc to be great athletes? There are many golfers in just as good or better shape then lots of these "athletes" that play other sports.

A sport is "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.".

If you don't think swinging a golf club over as hard as a pro does isn't physically exerting I would like to see you do it consistently day after day for a week straight... It takes a lot of strength and conditioning that most people don't have in order to swing a golf club as powerfully and consistently as a professional level golfer.

Golf is definitely a slower paced relatively low impact SPORT(see I can do that too...) but a sport none the less. Poker is a game, checkers is a game, yahtzee is a game. Golf is a sport though and it is pretty obvious what the difference is.

And for the record I hate playing golf... I enjoy watching it occasionally though as it is truly amazing what some of these guys can do with a golf club.
Where did I mention pro any thing. Tv golfers are no athletes.tho some athletes play golf. see that offensive line man you belittle, can complete the most difficult course any tv golfer plays Lets see the best golfer complete a complete football game against said offensive lineman not going to happen. Or we can get the best handicap (lol) on the form out on a rugby pitch for eighty minutes and ill put my fat old a** round a golf course. Bet I can finish that game.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Where did I mention pro any thing. Tv golfers are no athletes.tho some athletes play golf. see that offensive line man you belittle, can complete the most difficult course any tv golfer plays Lets see the best golfer complete a complete football game against said offensive lineman not going to happen. Or we can get the best handicap (lol) on the form out on a rugby pitch for eighty minutes and ill put my fat old a** round a golf course. Bet I can finish that game.

hahahahahaha.....my point exactly

Even though websters dictionary says sumting different.

This is what I mean about people's perspective.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Pro golfers especially these days have proven that in order to be a consistently great golfer you have to be in good physical shape. That means golf is physically exerting, which also means it is a sport since it requires skill and involves players competing against each other.

Being big and fat doesn't make ones self an athlete although some would argue this based on offensive guards, sumo wrestlers etc taking place in sports and therefore being athletes. All this proves is that you don't have to be athletic to be involved in a sport. To be the best in a sport you do have to be athletic though and that is why Tiger is one of the best golfers.

Also golf has been accepted as a sport for decades if not centuries by the general public. If you want to live under a rock and be a troll then go ahead but that doesn't change that golf is a sport...

Edit: And not being able to compete in other sports isn't what makes an athlete if that is what you were trying to get at with your stupid analogies. Sure a golfer can't be a offensive lineman, offensive linemans can't finish a marathons or play soccer either...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Pro golfers especially these days have proven that in order to be a consistently great golfer you have to be in good physical shape. That means golf is physically exerting, which also means it is a sport since it requires skill and involves players competing against each other.

Being big and fat doesn't make ones self an athlete although some would argue this based on offensive guards, sumo wrestlers etc taking place in sports and therefore being athletes. All this proves is that you don't have to be athletic to be involved in a sport. To be the best in a sport you do have to be athletic though and that is why Tiger is one of the best golfers.

Also golf has been accepted as a sport for decades if not centuries by the general public. If you want to live under a rock and be a troll then go ahead but that doesn't change that golf is a sport...
Ángel Cabrera..plus he has a smoke while golfing!! Awesome Masters win a few years ago!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81ngel_Cabrera
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned

Yes golf is a sport.

But it was the advent of Tiger Woods that set the bar to be in good physical shape.

The sport itself didnt dictate physical aptitude....Tiger did.

And John Daly is a prime example of an overweight guy who could have been the best in the world (if....for several reasons)
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:

Edit: And not being able to compete in other sports isn't what makes an athlete if that is what you were trying to get at with your stupid analogies. Sure a golfer can't be a offensive lineman, offensive linemans can't finish a marathons or play soccer either...
now your discussing level of athletisim. See mr daly is our pirme example, he plays at the highest level and in no way can be confused with an athlete of his own admission .longest driver for a few yrs iirc.notice handicap, you know equalizer. To make the game fair for all skill levels On the same course. What exactly would happen if one were to stop for a sandwich during a game of golf .... NOTHING nada a sandwich would be eaten. Right in the middle of play one coyld just have a sandwich. Try that during play in a sport. Next u will suggest nascar drivers are athletes. Lolololo.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that offensive linemen aren't athletic because they are big and fat?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
I guess those that say golfers aren't athletes must feel the same about curlers, guys like Kevin Martin, Randy Furby are nothing but beer guzzling sweepers!!!
There is a difference between being skilled and being an athlete. To be top of your sport often means mixing those two things.

Curling, bowling, golf, darts, baseball, and other similar sports do not require you to be physically fit, but they do require you to be skilled.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
There is a difference between being skilled and being an athlete. To be top of your sport often means mixing those two things.

Curling, bowling, golf, darts, baseball, and other similar sports do not require you to be physically fit, but they do require you to be skilled.
Games ^^^^^ require skill, sports require a level of athletics. Notice every one has a glove, dart, ball, rock ,tiddly wink.
Soccer, rugby, football, hockey. lacross. Require one ball or puck That all compete for possesion Track and feild ...... oh and no handicap lol.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
NO....you dont know anything about me.

So here's a little insight......I've golfed since I was 8yrs old and won my first local tournament when I was 12yrs old. AND....I stil play.

And up to a few yrs ago....I walked every round....and some mtn type courses in BC.

You obviosly dont have a clue....or your in really bad physical shape?

But it sure is entertaining reading about people like you.

So....hey ZIP.....ZIP-IT!!!!!
Yes mtngiant you are finally right about something..i am in poor physical shape as you mentioned...cancer has done that to me,and yes i am kinda entertaining to talk to...i thank you for pointing that out,but some people already knew that..as for me to listen to your insights and then you say to me "ZIP IT"...Well that won't happen my friend,you see i just don't listen to just anybody...you have to have my respect before i will do that.
Here's alittle tidbit of info for you...i have been golfing going on now close to 45 years,i have had the pleasure of golfing with many pro golfers over the years...and no i am not a pro,or even close for that matter...but i have played right beside many in any case...and those guys are just that good,and yes athletic as well...they train hard in many different ways to stay in the best possible shape...so mtngiant,i just can't "ZIP IT" As you have so politely asked me to do...and that's because i know way more about golf than you ever will...and just for the record,my Son in Manitoba is a pro golfer and gave lessons on the game for many years...It's in our blood!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-13-2013, 08:37 AM

Default This thread should soon Blowup

Big debate on if Tiger should DQ himself or not for taking an improper drop and subsequently signing an incorrect scorecard.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Yes mtngiant you are finally right about something..i am in poor physical shape as you mentioned...cancer has done that to me,and yes i am kinda entertaining to talk to...i thank you for pointing that out,but some people already knew that..as for me to listen to your insights and then you say to me "ZIP IT"...Well that won't happen my friend,you see i just don't listen to just anybody...you have to have my respect before i will do that.
Here's alittle tidbit of info for you...i have been golfing going on now close to 45 years,i have had the pleasure of golfing with many pro golfers over the years...and no i am not a pro,or even close for that matter...but i have played right beside many in any case...and those guys are just that good,and yes athletic as well...they train hard in many different ways to stay in the best possible shape...so mtngiant,i just can't "ZIP IT" As you have so politely asked me to do...and that's because i know way more about golf than you ever will...and just for the record,my Son in Manitoba is a pro golfer and gave lessons on the game for many years...It's in our blood!

Hahaha....fair enough Zip. (Good you didnt zip-it)
Yes I will concede....You have me at check mate on this one.
Sorry to hear about your health problems.....really!
Hope you keep enjoying golf.

I know the pro's are extremely gifted and skilled....their athletecism is really the question at hand here though. I guess its just a matter of comparisons.

Last edited by MtnGiant; 04-13-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
Big debate on if Tiger should DQ himself or not for taking an improper drop and subsequently signing an incorrect scorecard.
Never saw the drop in question, but I guess I will have to turn into the golf channel to see whats up. Should be interesting
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Hahaha....fair enough Zip.
Yes I will concede....You have me at check mate on this one.
Sorry to hear about your health problems.....really!
Hope you keep enjoying golf.

I know the pro's are extremely gifted and skilled....their athletecism is really the question at hand here though. I guess its just a matter of comparisons.
Yes i can see your point on the comparison side of things mtngiant,and thanks for your kind words on my health issues...my golf game went from real good to real bad over night due to my issues...but i still try and play as best i can on the days that i am feeling up to it...i will get better,that is a promise!! Funny thing is you say to me "hope you keep enjoying golf" and for some reason i am enjoying it way more now than i ever had..i just can't do it every day like i used to...Thanks mtngiant..i appreciate the kind words!

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip