Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 PM

Default Bow river

Hey I'm heading out to the bow river on we Wednesday or Thursday , never fished it before. Does anyone have any ideas if it's any good right now ? Heard prince nymphs are working good at the bow ... also does anyone know any places I can start off at ? If I don't seem to have any luck I might head west as I have a 4 day weekend from school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 PM

Sure, prince nymphs work well year round. I would keep an eye on the temperature though. Frozen rod guides are frustrating and catching hypothermia is not as fun as catching fish. Also, keep an eye out for the three ton blocks of ice that like to float down the river. Not trying to keep you off the river, but the conditions are not great right now for a walk and wade.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulee View Post
Sure, prince nymphs work well year round. I would keep an eye on the temperature though. Frozen rod guides are frustrating and catching hypothermia is not as fun as catching fish. Also, keep an eye out for the three ton blocks of ice that like to float down the river. Not trying to keep you off the river, but the conditions are not great right now for a walk and wade.

Ok thanks for the info! I'm going on Thursday and Friday which it looks like it will be +2-3 degrees but I will forsure be watching for the ice floating down

Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 PM

Streamers are worth trying now as well, and San Juan Worms work year round. You could try starting off at Fish Creek Park, but in all honesty I can't say what the ice conditions are down there right now. As mentioned, watch out for floating icebergs, but also be very careful around the ice shelves along the shore lines.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Streamers are worth trying now as well, and San Juan Worms work year round. You could try starting off at Fish Creek Park, but in all honesty I can't say what the ice conditions are down there right now. As mentioned, watch out for floating icebergs, but also be very careful around the ice shelves along the shore lines.

Ok definitely have to pick up some San juans ! Thanks a lot I'll be real careful as I never fished the bow before

Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post

Also what type of streamers you say ?

Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishislife1 View Post
Also what type of streamers you say ?
Tom's Mohair Mama, Gartside Leech and the Bow River Bugger would be a good start. Please be mindful of how long fish are out of water in freezing temps. eyes and gills are sensitive.

Be Safe and have fun out there.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Tom's Mohair Mama, Gartside Leech and the Bow River Bugger would be a good start. Please be mindful of how long fish are out of water in freezing temps. eyes and gills are sensitive.

Be Safe and have fun out there.

Alright thanks and I for sure will be! thanks a lot for the information

Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM

I've seen other posts mention about wearing one of those inflatable life jackets just in case you do go for a dip,will keep you above water and are not a lot to wear,safety first IMO
Old 02-28-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
I've seen other posts mention about wearing one of those inflatable life jackets just in case you do go for a dip,will keep you above water and are not a lot to wear,safety first IMO

Ok I'll bring a life jacket just to be safe thanks for the info, I don't try to trust the ice too much as I'm scared to get stuck under. Anyone know where to start fishing if the fish park doesn't look good ???

Old 03-01-2017, 12:06 AM

Did you end up going out? How was it
I usually hit up McKinnon flats and walk up river.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqr8 View Post
Did you end up going out? How was it

I usually hit up McKinnon flats and walk up river.

I will be going tomorrow morning , I'll keep you posted how it's like !

Old 03-03-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:

I would recommend not going to McKinnon. I would hazard that it is frozen solid until mid-April. It was frozen solid around the Highwood confluence about a month ago. We had a couple warm spells, but it has certainly been sub zero.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:

And he was never heard from again...
Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Be careful of big ice shelves. Giant chunks were calving off like glaciers yesterday. Dangerous if you are on top, or in the water below. I got hit with a giant wave yesterday
Old 03-04-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I would recommend not going to McKinnon. I would hazard that it is frozen solid until mid-April. It was frozen solid around the Highwood confluence about a month ago. We had a couple warm spells, but it has certainly been sub zero.

Yeah...... I actually did go to McKinnon on Thursday, wish someone would of told me not to but oh well... was a good hike and workout considering the gates were closed :/

Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Be careful of big ice shelves. Giant chunks were calving off like glaciers yesterday. Dangerous if you are on top, or in the water below. I got hit with a giant wave yesterday

Jesus that's crazy!! Thanks for the Heads up. I just spent my time fishing the south side of the city but no luck here. By the end of the day I decided to take my women to the Rockys instead as she was getting tired of me exploring hahaha