Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 PM

Default atv synthetic oil

so I've been looking into changing my quads over to synthetic oil.
amsoil seems to be the recommended brand.
does anyone run this in there quads? is it worth the money?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:13 PM

I use mobil delvac 1 0w40 in everything i own from tractors to lawn mowers. As long as it has the JASO certification it will work great.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Bombardier

I have always used this , its the only one I could find that Bombardier approves.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM

I used AMS atv oil in my Honda and Yamaha atvs, and they start better in cold weather.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:51 PM

If your machine has a wet clutch make sure you are using compatible oil
Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 PM

Shell rotella 5/40 synthetic. From your lawn mower to your atv's
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I used AMS atv oil in my Honda and Yamaha atvs, and they start better in cold weather.
X2
Old 01-17-2017, 10:50 PM

As DGL said, make sure it is compatible with the clutch. Regular automotive oil may work but it is not designed for a wet clutch, and you may start slipping.

Pick up an ATV or bike specific oil, like "Thumper", as it has friction modifiers just for that purpose.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:29 AM

Default Amsoil 0-40

I used amsoil 0-40 4-stroke in my '86 Honda four trax for 10 years and honda generator for 15 years. They both like it. Great cold weather stuff. I used it my 2006 Honda Rubicon and the top end blew up. Dealer blamed it on the amsoil, but I don't think so. I believe I switched too early in the season to the Honda winter weight synthetic and ran it too hard in warm weather. Too thin maybe. Another post suggests not using a non-dealership oil in a 'wet clutch' system. This may have been my problem. Since repairs have simply run their standard oil year round, but it doesn't like cold weather starts. Synthetic is great for cold weather and very likely for overall engine performance. Just be careful your machine can use it.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:26 AM

In my Polaris I use 0w40 Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine but I do not have a wet clutch to worry about.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:28 AM

I use amsoil in every thing i own, if you go to the amsoil website you can input what type of vehicle you are using to get the correct oils. www.amsoil.com tab at the top of the page
Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 AM

I always ran Amsoil in all the machines, except for my sons race bike, which I follow manufacturers specs on. Wet clutch on a 65cc hillclimb race bike. Clutches are real finicky.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
If your machine has a wet clutch make sure you are using compatible oil
I second this.. I learned the hard way, It cost me a few bucks to fix this one.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:16 AM

Royal Purple in my small engines
Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 AM

Shell Rotella 5w40 full synthetic in EVERYTHING. It has a wet clutch spec as well. Quads, Motorbikes, lawn mowers, trucks, EVERYTHING. One oil year round.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondiker2017 View Post
I used amsoil 0-40 4-stroke in my '86 Honda four trax for 10 years and honda generator for 15 years. They both like it. Great cold weather stuff. I used it my 2006 Honda Rubicon and the top end blew up. Dealer blamed it on the amsoil, but I don't think so. I believe I switched too early in the season to the Honda winter weight synthetic and ran it too hard in warm weather. Too thin maybe. Another post suggests not using a non-dealership oil in a 'wet clutch' system. This may have been my problem. Since repairs have simply run their standard oil year round, but it doesn't like cold weather starts. Synthetic is great for cold weather and very likely for overall engine performance. Just be careful your machine can use it.
Amsoil warranties your engine against damage when using their oil. Did you try to claim against it?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:24 PM

thanks for the replies gonna try the amsoil
Old 01-18-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Shell Rotella 5w40 full synthetic in EVERYTHING. It has a wet clutch spec as well. Quads, Motorbikes, lawn mowers, trucks, EVERYTHING. One oil year round.
Yep, exactly
Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 PM

Default Shell T6 Rottela

Use it in everything Peavy sells it in a 19 litre pail. $130.00
Old 01-19-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
As long as it has the JASO certification it will work great.
Note this; it’s important for wet clutch operation.
Make sure it’s marked JASO MA or MA1 or MA2. (do not use JASO MB)
MA2 is the best & will provide the least slippage, personally I will only use a synthetic when it’s cold that is marked MA2.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
Royal Purple in my small engines
X2 except I use it in my vehicles also. Read a big write up on how royal purple and amsoil are the only 2 true pure synthetic oils
Old 01-21-2017, 06:09 AM

I use Rotella T6 5W40 in my 2010 Honda 420 but when engine is very worm it has problem shifting from forward to reverse. On next oil change I will try amsoil.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
X2 except I use it in my vehicles also. Read a big write up on how royal purple and amsoil are the only 2 true pure synthetic oils
Mobil 1, Royal Purple and AMS, were the only companies offering true synthetic oils, but then Castrol won a law suit, and were able to sell their Syntech as a full synthetic oil, so now all manufacturers seem to be marketing oils as being full synthetic that are actually hydrocarbon based.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:11 AM

You guys that use Amsoil be VERY careful. They outright lie about what certifications and standards their oils adhere to. If you want proof check out their 2 stroke outboard oil. They claim it is TCW certified. When I cross checked the TCW web page it did not show Amsoil was one of the certified makes. I enquired and Amsoil is not certified.

TCW has tried to get them to voluntarily remove that claim from their website to no avail. TCW is now looking at taking further action against Amsoil.

Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 10:30 AM
To: Dean
Subject: RE: Amsoil 2 Stroke Outboard Injection Oil

Hello Dean,
I have contacted the product manager at Amsoil and asked that he remove all notation to TC-W3.
We shall see if this gets done.

Thomas J. Marhevko
Senior VP
NMMA Engineering Standards Department

231 S. LaSalle Street
Suite 2050
Chicago, IL 60604
Old 01-21-2017, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3448958]Mobil 1, Royal Purple and AMS, were the only companies offering true synthetic oils, but then Castrol won a law suit, and were able to sell their Syntech as a full synthetic oil, so now all manufacturers seem to be marketing oils as being full synthetic that are actually hydrocarbon based.[/QUOT

That'd be the one it talked about the law suit, etc pretty interesting and I had no idea about any of it.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:25 AM

I think this. Most people will never see the benefit from using synthetic oil they will never keep the machine long enough to say it was worth the cost. And if so compared to what? I had a 1985 Honda big red that ran Canadian tire conventional atv oil for most of its life and still ran good when I sold it. I believe because it was a good machine not the oil. If your doing your regular maintence there is no need for synthetics. Most machines are failing due to other problems not engine related problems. And if the engines are failing its most likely that they were in water not just riding trails . For years conventional oil was used for everything and most engines cars or machines ran forever. I think it's more a mind over matter if you want to treat your special engine to synthetic oil well than that's up to you. But like others have said use a oil that is designed for your machine synthetic or regular
Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hawken View Post
I think this. Most people will never see the benefit from using synthetic oil they will never keep the machine long enough to say it was worth the cost. And if so compared to what? I had a 1985 Honda big red that ran Canadian tire conventional atv oil for most of its life and still ran good when I sold it. I believe because it was a good machine not the oil. If your doing your regular maintence there is no need for synthetics. Most machines are failing due to other problems not engine related problems. And if the engines are failing its most likely that they were in water not just riding trails . For years conventional oil was used for everything and most engines cars or machines ran forever. I think it's more a mind over matter if you want to treat your special engine to synthetic oil well than that's up to you. But like others have said use a oil that is designed for your machine synthetic or regular
The very first time that I had to start my atv at -30 the AMS paid for itself. It started right up, whereas it was difficult to start at -25 using conventional oil.