Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-29-2016, 07:18 PM

Default Subsonic .22 ammo?

Has anyone ever tried any subsonic .22 ammo?
Really like the idea of being able to use it for birds while big game hunting and not scaring all the big game away. Curious if it's really that much quieter though.
Thanks!

Schian
Old 10-29-2016, 07:42 PM

I've tried it in a few different rifles and noticed barrel dimensions play a part in perceived volume- a old Cooey model 75 for example is quiet enough to hear the firing pin hit but in a Cheippa Little Badger with its short barrel it's noticeably louder. I also noticed they tend to be dirty, you may want to clean the bore after shooting a few.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Has anyone ever tried any subsonic .22 ammo?
Really like the idea of being able to use it for birds while big game hunting and not scaring all the big game away. Curious if it's really that much quieter though.
Thanks!

Schian
I am using it for most all of my target handguns.
Not for rifles though.It would make sense if your rifle equipped with silenter
Old 10-29-2016, 07:52 PM

used them extensively on my parents' acreage. The CCI Quiet 22LR 40grain rounds are the loudest of the quiet that I tried, followed by the 22long 29 grain CB, then the 22 shorts. The shorts out of my cooey are literally quieter than my pellet gun, but out of my uberti which also has a long barrel they're fairly noisy still. The gun matters a lot and it's not always predictable.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-30-2016, 06:43 PM

I take the CCI Quiets over the Subsonic . Better accuracy out of my trusted model 39 Cooey and super quiet. Great for backyard magpies .
Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 PM

I use CCI CB's...rated 750fps..they are a bit louder than a "springer" air rifle. I had issues with blow-back past the bolt with a couple of single shot Cooeys. If chamber is large, the case may not expand enough (low pressure) to seal, so be cautious. Work fine in my Old Favorite Stevens. Also, need to be careful with the low velocity ricochets.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:27 AM

Default For over 20 years

Federal CB longs for grouse.Many times you can get most of a flock as they don't spook ..bought a couple bricks back when it was legal in the States......Harold
Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 AM

I think it's worth adding to the discussion that 22 ammo basically falls into 2 categories~subsonic, or supersonic. "Subsonic" (=slower than the speed of sound, or, less than about 1,100 fps) doesn't mean it's quiet, rather, it lacks the loud..audible "crack" that high velocity (=supersonic) ammo has. In terms of what you buy in stores...and how it's discussed in plain terms, subsonic ammo is often referred to as "standard velocity" and supersonic ammo is referred to as "high velocity". It's why most ammo falls just under the 1,100 fps range, or nicely over it. One ammo type (CCI "Standard Velocity") is named for this, and no surprise...it's velocity is listed @ 1070fps. Subsonic ammo is widely considered to be more accurate than supersonic/high-velocity ammo as a rule, and for the most part..that's been true in my own experience. My best bolt gun shoots 1 type of high velocity ammo well...but about 5 subsonic ammo types well...and I think I've tried nearly everything but match-grade stuff!

I think what you're asking about is some of the subsonic ammos that are super-quiet, and on the slowest end of the spectrum....not just any subsonic ammo...correct? If so, the quick answer is YES...they are substantially more quiet than ammo types in the 1050-1070 fps range, and WAY more quiet than high-velocity. As other have stated, some are more quiet than others...but your barrel length plays a roll as well. The longer the barrel/the quieter they will be. I've tried CCI CB Long, CCI CB Short, an CCI "Quiet-22" and Remington CBee 22. I haven't found them to be as consistent, or anywhere near as accurate as ammo in the 1050-1070fps range..but for plinking, close range shooting/pesting, teaching kids to shoot~it's great stuff.

On a related note, about 4 months ago, I read about an Aguila 22 ammo called "Colibri". It's a 20gr, conical bullet propelled by the primer alone, velocity given is 500fps @ the muzzle. Velocity so slow that there are reports of it getting stuck in some long-barreled 22s! Last week, I found some online and ordered it to try, it's supposed to arrive today. Now, I wouldn't bother with it unless I had a reason to try...and what I think is the right gun. One of my 22s is a 13" barrel Norinco JW-15A "Backpacker" and I use it to clear pigeons from barns belonging to friends. Knowing a missed shot won't punch through a barn roof would be comforting, so I'm eager to see if this stuff will work. I currently use an air rifle for this job. It might, it might not...but I love 22s..I love trying new ammo types..so naturally it was on the "must try" list for me.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 AM

Default ricochet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I use CCI CB's...rated 750fps..they are a bit louder than a "springer" air rifle. I had issues with blow-back past the bolt with a couple of single shot Cooeys. If chamber is large, the case may not expand enough (low pressure) to seal, so be cautious. Work fine in my Old Favorite Stevens. Also, need to be careful with the low velocity ricochets.
This brings up a really good point- be VERY cautious of what's around your targets with low velocity rounds as ricochets are a real risk.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post

On a related note, about 4 months ago, I read about an Aguila 22 ammo called "Colibri". It's a 20gr, conical bullet propelled by the primer alone, velocity given is 500fps @ the muzzle. Velocity so slow that there are reports of it getting stuck in some long-barreled 22s! Last week, I found some online and ordered it to try, it's supposed to arrive today. Now, I wouldn't bother with it unless I had a reason to try...and what I think is the right gun. One of my 22s is a 13" barrel Norinco JW-15A "Backpacker" and I use it to clear pigeons from barns belonging to friends. Knowing a missed shot won't punch through a barn roof would be comforting, so I'm eager to see if this stuff will work. I currently use an air rifle for this job. It might, it might not...but I love 22s..I love trying new ammo types..so naturally it was on the "must try" list for me.
I tried some colbri ammo that a buddy of mine brought to shoot. In his pistols it was about as audible as breaking a pencil in half. In my cz 452 the bullet stuck 3 inches from the muzzle.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-31-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I tried some colbri ammo that a buddy of mine brought to shoot. In his pistols it was about as audible as breaking a pencil in half. In my cz 452 the bullet stuck 3 inches from the muzzle.
Yes, definitely not for every gun... As mentioned, if I didn't have a 13" barrel rifle, I might not have bought some to try. I'm less interested in the novelty factor, more interested in it for the pigeon "work".
Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, definitely not for every gun... As mentioned, if I didn't have a 13" barrel rifle, I might not have bought some to try. I'm less interested in the novelty factor, more interested in it for the pigeon "work".
Yep i know the work you refer to quite well. My go to is handloaded 357 shotshells with #12 shot out of my rossi trapper.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yep i know the work you refer to quite well. My go to is handloaded 357 shotshells with #12 shot out of my rossi trapper.
That sounds like a neat combo!

In the bottom level of the barn where the one farmer keeps his sheep over the winter, the pigeons will come down there in numbers for the warmth..and to find an easy meal. I've used CB Longs and CCI "Quiet-22" down there as there are very few windows, and no tin roof of course. The Quiet-22 (most readily available) passes right through them mostly so shot placement is key, shot angle to avoid ricochet, etc. Some shots you can't take of course.

Back to the upper level...the first shot often spooks most of them but my nephew outside is a great shot with his 870. Invariably, there are some that choose to weather the storm inside, and tuck themselves in tight against the ceiling joists, horizontal beams on the walls, etc. My HPA-fed air rifle is good medicine for those birds, but I'm hoping the Colibri will shoot well enough that I don't have to bother with filling air bottles.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:48 PM

Default Super Colibri

I have shot hundreds of them out of an old mossberg rifle that has an 18.5" barrel I believe. I have never had one get stuck in that barrel. And they do pass right through a squirrel more times than not. It just depends on how and where you hit them. I would not shoot them out of a barrel longer than 20" myself. The main problem with them is that a carbon ring forms in the chamber after a few dozen are fired, and it is a bit tough to get that out. They say they are long rifle but they are closer to the length of a long. But they are quiet, pretty much just the click of the firing pin and then the impact. Imho quieter than most air rifles. They are loud in a pistol though.
If you found a Canadian source for those I would really appreciate it if you could let me know who as I would like to order some more. I brought all mine up from the states back when that was still permitted.
Trevor
Old 10-31-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto389 View Post
I have shot hundreds of them out of an old mossberg rifle that has an 18.5" barrel I believe. I have never had one get stuck in that barrel. And they do pass right through a squirrel more times than not. It just depends on how and where you hit them. I would not shoot them out of a barrel longer than 20" myself. The main problem with them is that a carbon ring forms in the chamber after a few dozen are fired, and it is a bit tough to get that out. They say they are long rifle but they are closer to the length of a long. But they are quiet, pretty much just the click of the firing pin and then the impact. Imho quieter than most air rifles. They are loud in a pistol though.
If you found a Canadian source for those I would really appreciate it if you could let me know who as I would like to order some more. I brought all mine up from the states back when that was still permitted.
Trevor
Hey Trevor~I ordered it from SFRC here in Ontario. I noticed you typed-in the title "Super Colbri". That is similar, but different from regular Colibri. A little bit faster. The down side is, the Super Colibri is no longer made. I tried to get his first in fact, was told by dealers...and by the distributor that it's no longer made.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 PM

Hi Groundhogger,
Thanks for the info, I still have some that I brought back but I would like to get more, and some of the people that I have given some to over the years would like more as well. But I have become rather selfish with what I have left since I could not replace it anymore. Lol. Even when Aguila started showing up at local retailers, the super colibri remained elusive.

I never could get my hands on any of the regular Colibri. So I have no experience with that, but, iirc, didn't they have a super low muzzle velocity of only about 350 fps, while the super colibri was at about 500. If the Colibri that remains does still have that low speed, then I am not so sure that I would fire that in any rifle.

Either way, it sure is a unique round.

Thanks again for the info, I will give them a call in the morning.
Trevor

...just checked their website and you are correct, and I stand corrected..375fps...I guess that if the super Colibri has been discontinued then what I've got is all I am ever going to have. Sigh..

Last edited by otto389; 10-31-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added
Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
What's your range with shot shells from the trapper?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
What's your range with shot shells from the trapper?
so far my best shot with it was a partridge at about 20 feet. it is by no means a long range killer but for those tough to flush pigeons in small buildings it works well. i suspect if i used the cci shotshells for reloading that i have i could substantially increase my shot capacity and could stretch it a few feet further.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a neat combo!

In the bottom level of the barn where the one farmer keeps his sheep over the winter, the pigeons will come down there in numbers for the warmth..and to find an easy meal. I've used CB Longs and CCI "Quiet-22" down there as there are very few windows, and no tin roof of course. The Quiet-22 (most readily available) passes right through them mostly so shot placement is key, shot angle to avoid ricochet, etc. Some shots you can't take of course.
for those ground shots where you are getting pass through see if you can find the new cci quiet segmented HP. you may still get pass through but way slower and will kill a pigeon way better than just a solid.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
for those ground shots where you are getting pass through see if you can find the new cci quiet segmented HP. you may still get pass through but way slower and will kill a pigeon way better than just a solid.
I have some of that, just can't remember whether or not I've tried it on them. I certainly will though.

The solids~they work just fine if you can hit them in the head or neck, but body shots? Pretty tough birds...
Old 11-01-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I have some of that, just can't remember whether or not I've tried it on them. I certainly will though.

The solids~they work just fine if you can hit them in the head or neck, but body shots? Pretty tough birds...
I think you will like them i find with body shots on gophers and magpies it kills them dead quite quickly.